iPhone XR How much sharper is the XS display compared to the XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yogosans14, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

The display on my 8+ was way sharper than my current XR.

The display is good but not good enough for my needs and I want to return it ASAP for the XS. How much of a difference will i notice especially with like black text and stuff?

2. doboy macrumors 68020

Should be better than your 8+.

BTW, 8+ being way sharper is quite a stretch.

3. Pelea macrumors 6502

tbh the xr display kind of looks like watching a 144p video on youtube.. it's very dissapointing.

4. Adoeete macrumors newbie

Sadly, it's not a stretch. 8+ is way sharper than XR. I compared it myself with various text sizes and images. I laughed at people who got furious over the announcement of 326ppi on XR. Now I'm thinking of returning it, because of the blurry fonts. It's truly disappointing. XR is beautifully compacted phone with barely passable display.
    Apple really thought they could fool the majority of people. Maybe they did.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It's not actually, The Xr has the same ppi as the 8 (326ppi) where all the + sized phones have a ppi of 401.

6. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

The XR is an @2x retina, the same as all previous retina iPhones excluding the plus iPhones and X/S/Max. This means it renders each non-retina pixel (point) as 4 real pixels. The plus iPhones and X/S/Max render @3x (9 pixels per point) so there's more detail in the images they display. It should be noticeable, but only really if you have them side by side or know what you're looking at, the XR should be about the same as an 8.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

--- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    It’s because the 8+ is 1080p and the Xr is only 828p. The numbers don’t lie.

8. Yogosans14 thread starter macrumors regular

True but one thing for sure is that the XR has made me fall in love with this Face ID and gesture based UI. I could never go back to the 8+ so I’m getting the XS and keeping it for 3 years.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Good choice. Don’t settle for the sub standard display on the Xr.

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The Plus phones are 1080p and 401 PPI, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

11. Adoeete macrumors newbie

Yes, 8+ is 1080p 401PPI. If only XR was 1080p 401PPI(with that big full screen). It would've been the best phone of the year for me. 326PPI with 720p on XR fools people who don't know much, and lures people who knows much to XS.

12. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

That’s only half the story. What makes the iPhone 8 Plus sharper is that it’s actually rendering an image with higher detail than the XR, the resolution only gives it the capability of displaying [more of] the detail. If the 8 plus was rendering an 828x1792 display image it wouldn’t look any better than the XR - indeed it would most likely look worse because of the interpolation penalty.

13. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

It is a shame. Apple do seem to be gauging their loyal consumers.

I know comments like this aren't apt, but I don't think Jobs would've gone down this road.

14. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I don’t see what you all are seeing. I spent a good while comparing fonts on a XR and a Max and was hard pressed to see a difference, and I had a new prescription in my eyeglasses.

If you’re into watching movies and such on your iPhone, I could see making a case for OLED. However, a comparable Max would be $450 US over a 128GB XR, too large a difference for my needs and budget. But if OLED and perceived resolution make a difference to you (and folks’ perceptions do vary), get the XS/Max. It’s a great phone.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

At the same time millions and millions of people have been using their iPhone 8, 7, 6, etc. just fine for years and years.

16. doboy macrumors 68020

I know that. I have a 7+ I compare my XR to and I find it fine. I think ppl are just being hysterical based on specs.

17. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Same. I didn’t pixel peep my 8+ versus the XR but in using the XR I felt the text density/clarity was VERY close to the 8+. My issue was text size on the XR, in apps like Safari, is noticeable smaller.

18. kre62 macrumors 68020

For me, the test is plenty sharp. I can read it just fine, and thats all the sharpness you really need.

The big benefit of the XR is how easy it is on the eyes. I can stare at it all day and my eyes feel fine. With OLED and even the 8+, my eyes would get very tired and strained. The XR is easy on the eyes, battery lasts forever, and screen overall looks great.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The iPhone 8, 7 and 6 are only 4.7 inches. They can make do with a lower resolution. Sub 1080p on a 6.1 inch display is nasty.

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Display might be somewhat larger, but the PPI is the same.

21. zx128k macrumors member

zx128k

isn't the ppi on an iPad less than 326? does that look bad?

22. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The resolution on the iPad is much higher than on the Xr. Also you view an iPad from much further away than a phone.

23. zx128k macrumors member

zx128k

PPI not resolution. the XR has a higher PPI than the iPad.

Do you really view an iPad that much further away than a big phone?

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Much farther away? I don't think that's the case in many instances.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well I use my iPad on a table or on my lap. My phone is held up in my line of sight and is much closer to my eyes and face. I don't need to hold my iPad close because it has a a much larger display.

However the resolution on the ipad is much higher than the resolution of the Xr.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    I said the resolution was was higher not the ppi and yes I do view an iPad for a lot further away as the screen is significantly bigger than the Xr or even the max.