Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkMoseley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I like this current form factor of the MBP. I really don't want Apple to make it much thinner and MacBook Air like, and I don't want to lose any of the connections on the sides or the superdrive.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not much. Otherwise it would be pointless to have MBA and MBP if they were overlapping each other. I doubt there will be any difference

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I like this current form factor of the MBP. I really don't want Apple to make it much thinner and MacBook Air like, and I don't want to lose any of the connections on the sides or the superdrive.

They can't really make it any thinner and keep the same level of performance in it. If you want to use the same level of components in future revisions, you need a certain amount of space to dissipate heat from the components.

Diamondaine

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
In my Opinion the Pro is already extremely thin and light for its power and battery, of course that "ends up" in heat. If you want something that is thinner go for the air... The Pro is definitly not thick and does not need to get thinner at all.
Look at the 17" it is thicker than 15" and 13" but not only because of the stuff they put in it, but because there would be too much flex in such a big, thin thing.

Diamondaine

mtip

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Look at the 17" it is thicker than 15" and 13" but not only because of the stuff they put in it, but because there would be too much flex in such a big, thin thing.

the difference in thickness between the 13 and 15 inch and the 17 inch mbp's is only 0.03 inches or 0.9mm so basically no difference at all.

you will start losing ports and features (ethernet port being the thickest really limits how far you can go, next come optical drive and hdd probably) and sacrifice performance and battery once the machine gets thinner (lower power components due to reduced size, smaller battery) once the machine gets thinner.

unless apple goes for the air-like profile where the machine is thicker in the back (which I hope they don't cause while it works on the air it would be ugly on anything bigger or thicker), a smaller battery, lose the optical drive and maybe ethernet port, there really isn't room to reduce the thickness of the machine. and I think most mbp owners (current or future) wouldn't want that.

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
I could see the monitor being thinner and the edges rounded a little on the palm rest. I am sure they will come up with a way to make it look thinner, but the only part I see getting thinner is the screen.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
They should combine the 13" pro and air and have a machine slightly thinner than the pro and slightly thicker than the air. Kill the optical drive, give it an i5 + discrete gpu, 128gb ssd minimum with the regular ports provided by the pro now. charge only $1299 for it and it well be the best selling laptop in history :p

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I'm currently using a 15" 2010 MBP. I really enjoy it.

When I look at it, I see a laptop computer.

Upon second glance it's still a computer, NOT a piece of Jewelry. Apple obsesses about being thin worse than a supermodel.

When I use it for work, it runs a lot warmer than I would like, all due to the fact that it's so thin, there's no room for a volume of air to circulate. Nor does it have proper vents.

If it was only 0.1" or 0.2" thicker it would still meet Apple's number one priority which (sadly) is styling. More importantly, it would run cooler. If Apple put the same focus and priority on thermal management as they do on being "pretty", they'd clearly have the best laptop of all.

I really enjoy how cool, quiet and super fast my ThinkPad is, and it's only 0.2" thicker than the MBP. There's no reason my MacBook Pro couldn't be as good of a performer as my ThinkPad.

Especially since one is charged an obscenely high price for the Mac.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I'm currently using a 15" 2010 MBP. I really enjoy it.

When I look at it, I see a laptop computer.

Upon second glance it's still a computer, NOT a piece of Jewelry. Apple obsesses about being thin worse than a supermodel.

When I use it for work, it runs a lot warmer than I would like, all due to the fact that it's so thin, there's no room for a volume of air to circulate. Nor does it have proper vents.

If it was only 0.1" or 0.2" thicker it would still meet Apple's number one priority which (sadly) is styling. More importantly, it would run cooler. If Apple put the same focus and priority on thermal management as they do on being "pretty", they'd clearly have the best laptop of all.

I really enjoy how cool, quiet and super fast my ThinkPad is, and it's only 0.2" thicker than the MBP. There's no reason my MacBook Pro couldn't be as good of a performer as my ThinkPad.

Especially since one is charged an obscenely high price for the Mac.

you got the thinkpad 410s? that's a very nice laptop.

MarkMoseley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
St. Louis, MO
My 15" MBP is a late 2008 model and I love it. Im not gonna replace it any time soon. However, hopefully in the next 6 months or so I plan on getting my wife a MBP of some sort. I just hope Apple doesn't ruin an already great product by changing the form factor.

I keep thinking that if Im gonna get my wife a new MBP, I should just give her this one and get me a new 15" core i5 MBP... :cool:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
MBP should not get any thinner. I don't want to compromise my battery life or ports anymore. It's fine as it is. Apple could clear up some edges a bit because those edges are sharp for people who type a lot, but those are minor issues. Overall, MBP is MBP. I could see 13 MBP lose optical drive in the future.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
If they put the hard drive, the CPU and the GPU in the back side, next to the screen they can make the new macbook pro's a lot thinner in the front but not in the back.
I hate the sharp edges in the front, so if they make it as thick as it is in the back, making it thiner in the front, they can resolve this problem because the angle of incidence may be lower.

ExiledMafia

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I doubt we see apple making their notebook any thinner, the only thing I could see is they could make them lighter.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Apple's goal is to have the MBP as thin and floppy as two pieces of paper. This way consumers can fold it up and put in in their pocket on the go - and those with really fast reflexes may be able to catch it again if they accidentally drop it.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think Apple should sacrifice power for a thinner MacBook Pro. However, I wouldn't mind if it were a little lighter. The design of the MBP is great though, and even though it's been around for a good amount of time (since 2008 or so) they probably shouldn't make too many changes to it. Sadly I think Apple is planning on making a somewhat large change to the design. Maybe it will lose the black boarder and look more like the MacBook Airs..who knows.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I don't envision the MBP to get much thinner. I do see them eliminating the Super drive and going with the usb drives that the MBA comes with. They load the system software on a usb drive and you can reinstall if needed. I still use CD/DVD's to burn images for my clients but more are set up for FTP. I am quite happy with the size of the MBP series but some are eager for smaller, lighter and faster.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
It'll be difficult as a result of the various ports and components.

Just look on the side of your MBP. An optical drive adds a fair bit too.

tonyt3rry

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Im thinking its going to be a ssd upgrade lighter weight, better resolution or something like that.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
We're probably losing the optical drive sooner rather than later, and I'll be happy to see it go. But I don't want to lose that sweet gigabit Ethernet port. Internet at my work is way faster than Wireless N can ever go.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I don't want them to get any thinner. Cooling will suffer and if Apple can use "we didn't have space to...." like they did with the 13" then it may have gone too far.

I actually prefer the added thickness but smaller footprint of the the older MBP that I have.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
They can make the display lid thinner without sacrificing much of anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.