Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh see now I thought you had already bought, married, and came back to tell us you were going to leave her. lol

Oh but it is a nice ring, even though it's gold.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
When are you thinking about popping the question?
June (yes i know its early but we put it on layaway so i could afford a nicer solitaire)

phil83 said:
Oh and where did you get it? What shape?

squeeks said:
buts its round cut yellow gold 3/4 ct 4 prong setting
:D

and we got both the enhancer and the ring from helzberg, they were the most helpful of all the places we went

plus they were the only ones who had that particular style of enhancer, the curvy shape, so we just decided to get them both so they match perfectly

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I saw an item on TV recently saying the profit on a diamond is obnoxious. If your woman wants an expensive ring, forget about her. Just remember, the marriage ceremony is the first step on the way to DIVORCE.

My experience: I bought my wife a top of the line diamond ring. Years later, she lost the stone, because she did not monitor the wear of the gold retainers holding the stone in place.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
My experience: I bought my wife a top of the line diamond ring. Years later, she lost the stone, because she did not monitor the wear of the gold retainers holding the stone in place.

ah yes but this one has life time warranty on the diamond which she is very good about getting checked every 6 months so i dont have to worry about that

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
just an update, picked up the ring last week, all paid for, going to be asking her in two weeks, shes clueless she thinks its going to be in july..hopefully she dosent read these forums..i dont think she dose:eek:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Good for you mate! I hope it's transpires to be the happiest day of her life :) You wouldn't have a pic of the ring for us to see would you?

I'm late to the question, but you can get a nice Tiffany diamond engagement ring for under $1500 - Which surprised me when I saw it on the site.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
sure here ya go

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 160
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 146

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Id never marry a woman who "expected", "wanted", "needed" a ring.

Thats just me, and there are plenty of folks out there who feel "more is better" when it comes to showing off...

Along the same lines, id never buy my wife a diamond anyway. I never liked diamonds, ever. When i was into rocks as a kid, I learned of tons of stones/crystals that could look just like a diamond, but obviously werent as hard. And questioned why they were so expensive when for nothing you could have the same look.

Why buy a piece of clear rock, which could be glass and you wouldnt know the visual difference, when there are hundreds of hues of precious and semi-precious stones out there.

Just my opinion as always, but diamonds are freakin ugleee. All they say to me when i see them is "LOOK AT ME IM LOADED!!!"

Not "I love my wife."

i agree with this 100%. a ring is a ring is a ring. who cares if it's $400 or $6000. the point is you love her and you're going to marry her and she better realize it.

I had a buddy who said his fiancee HAD to have an expensive ring. He was so stressed about spending the money instead of...oh....i don't know....putting it into a fund for a house downpayment.

of course, this is years later, but i can honestly say if my fiancee wouldn't accept the low cost ring I got her, I would have walked away. I don't want to be with someone that materialistic.

i'm not saying your fiancee is like that b/c i don't know her. As you can tell, I just get irritated as heck when ppl talk about spending 3 months salary on an item. ugh. that's gotta hurt.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
well you will be very happy to know i didnt sped anywhere near 3 months salary on the ring;)

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
So I am going to be lazy, i didn't read the whole thread, but I remember being told that the "appropriate" amount to spend is 3 months salary...true, false?
With divorce rate being what it is, just buy a 1 carat Cubic Zirconia stone in an inexpensive setting. Total cost $100 or less. In a year or two, you will be glad you did. If you defy the odds, then buy her the real thing on your 25th anniversary.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Sounds like a good suggestion to me :)

With divorce rate being what it is, just buy a 1 carat Cubic Zirconia stone in an inexpensive setting. Total cost $100 or less. In a year or two, you will be glad you did. If you defy the odds, then buy her the real thing on your 25th anniversary.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California

If there is a possibility for divorce...you are not fit for marriage, nor have you found the right partner. Hence the "till death due us part."

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
maccompaq: I would argue that marriage is one of the most fitting times to be idealistic. YMMV.

Not quite sure what you are implying by your post.

I remember Guy and Ralna, a young married couple on the Lawrence Welk TV show in 1969. They were a perfect couple, and the way they looked at each other, you could tell they were deeply in love. They had one daughter, but they divorced in 1984. I just could not believe it. How could the perfect couple do that?

No one can predict if their marriage will last. The previous poster said that if a divorce was possible, that person or persons were not fit for marriage or they had not found the right partner. He must be able to read the future.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Not really, if you think there is a possibility of divorce before marriage you shouldn't be doing it. Of course that may change later on, but you should start at a good place.

What? People in the UK are still getting married?

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
You are living in a dream world, my friend.

Possibly. But you need to go into marriage, even any relationship, with the know that there will be problems. There will be fights and disagreements. There is no absolutely perfect person for you that you will not fight or disagree with. You have to go into a relationship know thing there will be issues, and you have to be willing to deal with them and, most importantly, work them out. If neither side is willing to do that, you are not fit for marriage.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Possibly. But you need to go into marriage, even any relationship, with the know that there will be problems. There will be fights and disagreements. There is no absolutely perfect person for you that you will not fight or disagree with. You have to go into a relationship know thing there will be issues, and you have to be willing to deal with them and, most importantly, work them out. If neither side is willing to do that, you are not fit for marriage.
What you are saying is true, but you keep throwing out ".......... you are not fit for marriage". No one knows for sure if they are fit for marriage, nor can they predict the future.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
thanks for hijacking my thread guys:D

can we stop talking about divorce now?;)

im getting MARRIED we can talk about divorce in a year or so:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.