How noticeable is this to you?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Southernboyj, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Southernboyj, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've been using my iPad for a few days, started to notice it seems a bit yellow (as many others have stated)

I scheduled an appointment at an Apple Store for Wednesday (sadly the closest Apple Store is 100 miles away :( )

Here is 2 pictures I took with my 3rd Generation iPad on the right and an iPad 2 on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions? Does it appear noticeable yellow to you?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes it does. The one on the right has a yellow tint to it.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. The one on the right looks awful. Yellow and dull. Definitely want to exchange that one.

4. TheNewEra macrumors newbie

Very noticeable. As a side note, I do love your WiFi network name!

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It seems like exchanging these are a gamble, because this iPad has yellow tint... but NO backlight bleed at all. I just hope after a 2 hour drive to an Apple Store, and 2 hours back, I can get one without backlight bleed or yellow tint.

6. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

"It's not yellow, it has a warming natural hue." - Half of the Macrumors community

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Thanks! :D

8. Zethca macrumors regular

Mine looks exactly like this. The color temp on the new ipad is far superior to iPad 2. Have the people saying it looks bad ever put theirs next to an iPad 2? Probably not.

9. big samm macrumors 65816

Your screen is perfectly normal... I have a first gen iPad and it's the same thing... The 3rd gen is more yellow... Get used to it !

10. mcl macrumors regular

I'm curious: How many people who are complaining about the iPad3 screen being "yellow" are comparing it side-to-side with an iPad 1 or 2 that they also own?

I've got two iPad3's. Both screens look fine. In fact, they have an identical hue to my MBP.

11. Zethca macrumors regular

Also the white balance on the picture does a lot to your perception of this "effect" and it's clearly auto white balanced and fairly inaccurate.

----------

Here's mine(iPad 2 on right). 4S photo auto white balance. This screen is perfect IMO. Does anyone have a side-by-side with an iPad 2 that shows them looking the same? That doesn't make sense based on the stuff published by the calibration experts.

[​IMG]

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Check it before you leave

13. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

When exchanging one at an Apple Store ( never done it before)

Do I need to bring the original Box/Charger/Usb cable and will they give me a new one sealed in the box? Or how does it work? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this situation. :p

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Does the camera you used have a white balance control? Do you know what it's doing the auto-white balance off of? You really need a point of reference to properly do a comparison. If you can set the white balance, set it to outdoors.

That all said, mine is warmer than the iPad 1 or 2, though I think the 2 was closer (from memory, as I sold it before receiving the 3. It's close to my MBP, though a tad warmer overall. When comparing images in Aperture, I found the color to be more natural on he iPad 3 than the MBP (hi-res 17" Early 2009 UB). It depends on the objects color - which is as it should be with the wider gamut of the Retina display.

My 3GS was close to the iPad 3 - perhaps warmer. The iPhone 4S is very cool (in both senses ;) ).

Zethca beat me to it!

15. beebum macrumors newbie

ok. Stupid question. Mine kind of looks like the one posted here (yellow tint) but I have nothing to compare it to. How can I be sure?

And what is backlight bleed?

16. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Yes take everything that came in box back.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Try comparing it to a white piece of paper.

Bleed is a yellowish glow you notice on your iPad when you are displaying a completely dark image (like a black square that takes up the whole screen) at 100% brightness in a dark room. The screen should be, well, black. Some people notice yellowish glows coming from the corners.

18. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I took the picture with an iPhone 4S, focusing in on the iPad screen.

19. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

The pictures shown are side by side comparisons, so if the white balance was off a bit, it would show on both iPads, not just the New iPad on the left wouldn't it ?

20. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Just going off of memory here, but it seems like the AT&T iPad I had a couple days ago before I exchanged it. I didn't really notice it until it was next to another iPad or my iPhone. However, I did notice that I had to turn up the brightness almost all the way up to get just to look the way I want it. However, I exchanged it for a VZW model, and I noticed quickly that the screen was definitely different, I only had to put the brightness to about half to get the same look I wanted for the AT&T model. Also, there wasn't any contrast between another iPad and my iPhone. I didn't really care about the "yellow" at that point because I figured it's just the luck of the draw and I was just going to live with it. Plus, my eyes got used to it a couple minutes after looking at it, just as long as I didn't compare it.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. You won't notice it unless you look for it and constantly compare it. Plus, you can't honestly go through x amount of iPads just to get the "right" one. That's just crazy. I mean, you have the right to as a consumer, but it doesn't mean that you should. Live with it, the "newness" of the device will wear off in about a month and you're probably going to sell/upgrade next year anyway. Life is short. Move on.

21. Zethca macrumors regular

Here's the same photo I posted earlier with adjusted white balance.

[​IMG]

22. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

That is so negligible that I would literally BUY that one off you and/or trade you for mine lol.

23. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

My iPad 3 looks yellow compared to my girlfriend's iPad 2. I don't know if it merits a return, but I do wish it didn't have the yellowish tint. The blue text also appears a bit purple.

24. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I had to exchange mine because when I split the keyboard, one was yellow and the other was white. Weird. :confused:
    The Apple guy couldn't believe it either. New one looks perfect without any light bleeds.

25. gr8tfly, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Zethca has shown my point. If you are using an iPhone, you can auto lock the exposure (and, WB) on one or the other screen (most point-and-shoots can do this and also set a fixed WB). One will end up very warm, and vice versa one will be very cool. (if I'm keeping this straight in my muddled head-colded brain).

Another example is photographing sunsets: if you leave WB on auto, you will get a rather bland looking scene; if you set the camera to daylight WB, you will get a much more dramatic image.

Edit: just throwing this in the mix: I'm viewing all these on an iPad3. The last image by Zethca shows much less difference between the two. The one on the left looks pretty close to my iPad 3, though a tad warmer. The right one looks very cool.