Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you (plan to) update the iPhone

• Total voters

Jonasgold

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
It seems that in a lot of the iPhone5/4GS/Whatever threads, some people are not too happy with the (rumored) changes.
I(3GS owner) am more excited about it.
If I were loaded I might upgrade every year, but for some minor features, I look at the bills. So I am rather happy with the-not-too-drastic changes of the yearly iPhone updates.
The only reason I would want an iPhone 4 is the delicious formfactor(event with the battery troubles), Retina display is really nice but on its own not worth it, facetime is worthless unless you know enough people with it(which is not the case if it is just released), and a speed bump is not too important if Angry Birds is (practically) the only game you play.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Every two years .... just because I can. Not like I really need to though. The 3GS is already 2 years old in terms of technology, but I still think its one of the better phones (even compared to some androids). I'll live, but i want an iPhone 5 :D

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
When my 3gs breaks,

since getting my ipad , i rarely use my phone as anything other than a phone/texting device now, the apps usage it used to get all day has migrated to the large screen and better battery life on my 3G iPad,

so , im probably backwards to most people, i pay a contract for the iPads 3G and have a pay as you go sim in the 3GS

im even thinking of upgrading to an android or windows 7 phone next.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I have a 2 year contract. The iPhone is about £100 upfront, but after 2 years you can recycle it for about £150! So I plan on doing that, and getting a new 2 year contract after that. Repeat ad infinitum!

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Since the original till my 4 i was around yearly upgrades. But i like 4 to the point i wont go for this years release. Im one of those that have no antenna issues, love the retina, front cam and have a HTC desire to go with it :)

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It seems that in a lot of the iPhone5/4GS/Whatever threads, some people are not too happy with the (rumored) changes.
I(3GS owner) am more excited about it.
If I were loaded I might upgrade every year, but for some minor features, I look at the bills. So I am rather happy with the-not-too-drastic changes of the yearly iPhone updates.
The only reason I would want an iPhone 4 is the delicious formfactor(event with the battery troubles), Retina display is really nice but on its own not worth it, facetime is worthless unless you know enough people with it(which is not the case if it is just released), and a speed bump is not too important if Angry Birds is (practically) the only game you play.

What battery troubles...?

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Normally every two years, but I did upgrade to the iPhone 4 after a year.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
i get a new phone every 2-3 months. One of the benefits of owning a Verizon Store. :D I barely pay anything for my phones and pay 1/5 the cost of a regular phone bill

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I upgrade every 2 years, the Original iPhone > 3GS > iPhone 5, route is ideal for me. That's why i'm still sticking with my iPhone 3G.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Every two for me as well. Unsubsidized would be quite a dent on the wallet. It would have to be a pretty bad azz feature to go more often. LTE would be one of them. :)

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
When my 3gs breaks,

since getting my ipad , i rarely use my phone as anything other than a phone/texting device now, the apps usage it used to get all day has migrated to the large screen and better battery life on my 3G iPad,
^this

i'm perfectly happy with my 3gs. retina would be nice, but it's not worth the money an upgrade would cost me. my plan is to go with an ipad 2 and use the phone for phone calls and ipod. browsing and, really, reading forums is just to unpleasant on such a small screen. i'll do all the 'internet' and gaming on the ipad 2.

when will i upgrade the 3gs? not this year, as the iphone 5 looks to be a refresh of the iphone 4. perhaps iphone 6, if apple decides to get back in the game again.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Lte

I usually use my stuff especially electronics untill they either break or dont serve me the purpose i bought them for and they are too slow. I am happy with my iPhone 4 and probably won't upgrade it till it either breaks or LTE is available in the capacity 3G is now. Plus I'd like to keep my unlimitted data for as long as possible as I usually go over 2 gigs a mo th anyways (heavy pandora user & I don't tether). I'm sure once LTE is available then they'll do away with the "grandfathered in " data plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.