Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I'm a working photographers and have owned every full size iPad wifi model made. To this day I have not shot a single image from any of them.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I use mine rarely to take pictures or videos. I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the pictures, but I can see why they chose not to include a better camera. It would add cost to a feature that is not often used. It looks weird if you run around taking pictures with your tablet ( i suppose the iPad mini is better suited really).
However I think they should keep the camera, though I don't use it often, it was very useful on some occasions when no other camera was at hand.

----------

I'm a working photographers and have owned every full size iPad wifi model made. To this day I have not shot a single image from any of them.

I find that hard to understand/believe. How can you resist testing your new toy?
I think there is not a single feature I haven't used (knowingly). Maybe my inner child is stronger than yours, that could explain it....

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I've taken thousands upon thousands of stunning pictures with my iPad. It's the second best camera I've ever owned after my iPhone. I don't understand people who think it looks funny or is stupid taking pictures with an iPad. At the end of the day though who cares what others think, I'm the one saving memories while a few morons enjoy a momentary cheap laugh.

What other cameras have you owned? You should post some of your pics.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
2e42ae3de2501e18b7f9cf59d52468e2.jpg
I've taken thousands upon thousands of stunning pictures with my iPad. It's the second best camera I've ever owned after my iPhone. I don't understand people who think it looks funny or is stupid taking pictures with an iPad. At the end of the day though who cares what others think, I'm the one saving memories while a few morons enjoy a momentary cheap laugh.

It's hilarious look at the pic above. The size of a cookie sheet lol

LagLiquidators

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Louisiana
I never take photos with my iPad. I have a phone and a DSLR for that.

Attachments

• 1185567_225677064254243_117390286_n.png
    1185567_225677064254243_117390286_n.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 51

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I have several better cameras, including an EOS and a 4s. I use the mini pads camera less as camera substitute and more as a conversation extension. Adding pics to chat about parts and tours with FaceTime.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Never

Having travelled a bit recently I saw a lot of people using iPad's to take photos. I'm not sure why you have your iPad at Disneyland, Universal Studios, the Zoo or the Lincoln Memorial, but if that's what suits you then snap away.

C'mon Apple throw out that useless back facing camera already. Put in a laser gun or something worthwhile instead.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Still trying to figure out how to take a photo with my 1st gen iPad ;)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's another thing to block other people's view when taking pictures, though, iPad or not.

This is the problem. I was at a college commencement over the summer and you couldn't see the stage because half the audience had their iPads out taking pictures and recording -- despite the fact that the entire event was being recorded professionally and offered free afterward.

I guess I just don't understand why you'd want to observe an event through a 9.7 inch screen when you travelled from another state to be there in person. That's why I think people who take too many photos/videos with their devices look foolish.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
One use not mentioned: I use my iPad 3 as a scanner when doing family history research. Instead of photocopying text, I use the iPad and an app that scans to pdf. If the library has wi-fi, then I can send the result to my email. I have also occasionally used it this way to copy magazine text or images.

As for using it as an actual camera, very seldom. One of our 9 year-old grandnieces did use it recently to take photos of her sister in a gymnastics exhibition. She did both photos and videos. Other people (including me) were using cameras and video, but she got some very usable shots.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Do you use your iPad to take photos? If so, how often?

In the beginning to test the IQ, coming from original iPad but not anymore. My D40 with kit lens/55-200 is my knock-about camera, so I really would not need to use my iPad 2 to take any pictures. In the rare circumstance in which I don't have a camera at hand, picture taking duties would fall to my iPhone.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I never use it, i would like apple to make 2 models, one with and one without a camera, because i really don't need or use it!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have never used my Mini to take a picture. I always have my phone with me and it's just a natural thought to use either my Nexus 4 or 4S.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
It is a matter of convenience for me. If something interesting occurs and I happen to have my iPad in my hands, I would snap a few photos with it. Though I mainly use my phone for quick snaps as it has flash and a higher resolution.

Do you use your iPad to take photos? If so, how often?

i don't. i always carry an iphone with me or a camera.

----------

This is the problem. I was at a college commencement over the summer and you couldn't see the stage because half the audience had their iPads out taking pictures and recording -- despite the fact that the entire event was being recorded professionally and offered free afterward.

I guess I just don't understand why you'd want to observe an event through a 9.7 inch screen when you travelled from another state to be there in person. That's why I think people who take too many photos/videos with their devices look foolish.

i agree 100%. for the life of me i can't understand people's fascination with taking pictures or videos using their ipads. don't they know that there is a camera or camcorder that take better pictures and videos if they want t preserve those moments. i think it is becoming a status symbol for them - kinda like announcing to the world that - HEY i got an Ipad.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Sometimes

Although I like the convenience of having a camera, I'll admit I almost never use it. About 98% of my camera roll is from ifunny. However, the few times I have used it it was extremely convenient to have a camera on my iPad. Also, the only other camera devices I have are an iPod touch 4g and a no-name android smartphone so if I have the choice between all three I prefer my iPad's 5mp camera.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
i never do, but for some odd reason if i don't have my phone on me and only my ipad and at that exact odd time i need to take a photo i will take it with the ipad.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
i never do, but for some odd reason if i don't have my phone on me and only my ipad and at that exact odd time i need to take a photo i will take it with the ipad.

Mini with retina, and a better camera on it over the previous model, plus if a shot is interesting to me, and I can't get my phone out soon enough, I would use it. If my iphone is handy, and the pictures are better on it, the iPhone wins out. With a larger full size iPad, than possible no.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I use my iPad everyday for flight training. I check my photo gallery; the last time I took a picture was 6 months ago when I wanted a picture of my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.