How often do you use it as a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seadragon, Feb 9, 2017.

1. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Just a fun topic, but I've come to realize that I RARELY ever use the actual phone function of my iPhone. Most of my communicating is done via Messages and email.

How about you?

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Not very often, to be honest. I don't even bother to check, but Typically I probably use less that 30 minutes talktime per month!

Most of my communication is also texts, IMs, and emails.

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

That's why the phone carriers are interested in selling data plans now.

They throw in unlimited minutes because nowaday, the majority of the time, people's phones are not making phone calls.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't know, while the data usage is certainly one of the main drivers these days and for some time now, I think many people still make lots of calls and use lots of text messaging (both of which have been limited and charged at much higher rates before).

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Exactly! Especially here in Canada. The carriers are like, "Our phone plans are soooo inexpensive! Oh... You actually want data? Well that's going to cost you like an extra $70 per month!"

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Every day. At a minimum at least one phone call per day from my wife.

Also, on our plan my wife racks up voice minutes in the same way some people binge on data on UD plans. She consistently has well over three or four hours of talk time each month. Not just because she prefers to call, but some of the people she speaks with (her aunt for instance), prefer calling or have limited text plans or just cannot figure out texting.

Finally, there are just some things that are better discussed verbally versus an iMessage or a text. Tone is everything and emojis can only do so much. Talking my wife through a reset of our home network so she can get back online is just easier over the phone than through text message. Stuff like that.

7. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

I rarely use it as a phone. We don't have cell service at home, so never got into the habit. About the only time it use it is when I'm in the Jeep and using it through that connection

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We ditched our home phone several years ago. We were paying $50 a month for landline service for a phone that only received collections/junk calls while at the same paying for our cellular service.

It works out for the rest of our family as well. They know which number to call direct if they want to get me, my wife, or my son.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not very often. I use messages most often to communicate with family and friends.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe 10-15 calls a day but most of my customers text me their work related stuff like lists. I really prefer it that way as you have a record of everything

11. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

About 30minutes worth of calls a day, and thats mostly because of the other person or when I'm driving. I usually prefer WhatsApp as a way to communicate.

12. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

It's my work phone, home phone and cell phone. I use it all the time as a phone

13. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

16. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Maybe, as a phone once every day....less than a few minutes. IM, WHATSAPP, or any other instant message instead of phone calls.

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Not often thats for sure.

18. imanidiot Suspended

This is me, too. I got rid of my landline shortly after getting my first smartphone.

19. lizardofwoz macrumors regular

I only use the iPhone for telephone calls.

The camera is of no use to me, I have several real cameras with capabilities far beyond a phonecam.

20. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I average 15 min calling / texts per month and use a prepaid sim without data. I've been using me iPhones this way since I got my first one in 2012. Not because I don't have any money (I'm using a 128GB iPhone 7 after all), but just because I don't use the phone functions that often and I like to be disconnected on the go, however impractical way this sometimes proves to be (but there's wifi almost everywhere). There's something really relaxing about it. It's become somewhat of a challenge lol.

21. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

An average of about 10 minutes of cellular voice per month plus 15-20 minutes of VoIP (over both WiFi and cellular data) per month.

22. BearBert macrumors member

BearBert

Probably in the minority, but use a little over 2000 min a month on average. That's why call quality is always important to me.

23. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Maybe 30 minutes or even less. I really don't like talking on the phone to be honest. I think that stems from the time I spent working in a call center.

25. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Wow. That's a a lot of talk time. My work phone acumulates about half of that.