How quick is picking up a reserved phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by handsomelife, Sep 15, 2016.

1. handsomelife macrumors member

I've got a phone reserved in store tomorrow and will be signing up to the upgrade program.

Just wondered if anyone did this in the States last year and knows roughly how long I'm going to need? I've got a 15 minute window so will I end up having to queue at all?

Thanks!

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

3. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I reserved 2 last year. Both on different days and did both on the IUP. We weren't there longer than about 30 min each time.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I've got a 15 minute window and would very much like to stick to that window.

5. Sheboygan macrumors member

Sheboygan

Last year it was more than one hour due to issues with the carriers and in-store activation. Lots of phone calls with carrier reps to get iPhones activated. I'd anticipate the same this year and plan for at least one hour after your appointment starts.

6. handsomelife thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! In the UK the phones don't come with the carrier so there shouldn't be any activation to do hopefully!

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Fifteen minute window is going to be dicey. I can't imagine you will get in and out in fifteen minutes. Unless I'm misunderstanding your timeline. You're likely not the only one who preordered skcyhere will be s line for that too.

8. avihayg macrumors newbie

probably its a 15 minutes check-in windows for the reservation, afterward you'll probably stand in line and wait alongside hundreds of people which reserved an iPhone also. so like was said before, allow few hours and take the day off !

9. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Took 2 and a half hours for me with the 6+, might be better this year though since they don't have hardly any phones to sell to walk ins

10. syphern macrumors 6502

i had two questions would be super grateful if someone can help me as I cant get through to apple chat on their website:

1: I have a 15 min window at 2pm but I need to go in at 1pm due to work will they allow that?
    2: Also if I miss my window and go later on at around 7:30pm will they keep it for me as I have paid for the reservation?

11. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I'm sure timed appointments are made for a reason. If everyone wanted to change then what's the point of the system?

12. syphern macrumors 6502

so is that a yes or a no? also im sure other people have changes in plans as well. Hence the question. As mentioned I tried to speak to apple online but its not connecting.

13. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I'm pretty sure you don't just walk in, they hand you the phone, and you walk out. They are going to open the box and make you activate it in the store. This is to prevent a few things. First, it reduces the number of people who end up coming back in a few hours because they can't follow simple step-by-step directions to set it up themselves. Second, it reduces the number of people who walk in and walk out with a shrink wrapped phone to sell to someone in line for 2x the cost.

Yes, people who have the phones shipped to them fall in both of these categories, but Apple controls things when you walk into their stores. I would say that your 15 minute appointment window is just when they want you to arrive. I would prepare to be there a lot longer.

14. pward macrumors member

It is not a quick process. With a reservation I expected to be dealt with within the 15 minute window. Instead I was "checked in" and asked to join a queue which took an hour to get through. Not impressed.

15. vintagebob macrumors regular

vintagebob

That has been my experience as well.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

And also b.c you have to activate the IUP phones on one of the big 4 carriers.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

With my 6+ reservation I was there for literally 1.5 hours. You're living in fantasy land if you think you'll be in and out in 15 min.

18. syphern macrumors 6502

is this true even for UK?

also ill prob miss it then tomorrow - will they keep the iphone reserved for a day or two so I can go in at another time?

19. handsomelife thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully not, haha! I'm not sure how they're planning to activate my phone if I don't have my SIM only 3 sim with me when I go in, there's no mention of needing to bring this.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Lat year I reserved a phone for in store collection. I got there a bit early. I waited in the reservations line for about 5 minutes and then I was taken into the store and my phone was brought out and I paid. The whole thing from arriving to leaving took about 10-15 minutes. The whole thing was done and dusted before my window had even opened. I'm in the UK. I think it might take a bit longer this year as they have the upgrade programme to sort out. To be honest now that they are doing the IUP most Apple stores sound like a nightmare on launch day.

21. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

A lot of countries are coming to a stand still tomorrow because of this release lol never say Apple has lost it

22. syphern macrumors 6502

thank you! so ill try doing that.

23. alperduran217 macrumors member

alperduran217

I've pre ordered my phones on 9 September and I've a check in window at 11:30 am - 12:00 pm on Georgetown Store in D.C. But I don't have any time to wait there. Because I've a flight to catch tomorrow. Could you give me any tips? If I have to wait there for a long time, I have to cancel my pre order.

By the way I pre ordered T mobile version and Idont need to activate because I'll use another carrier.

24. pwm91c macrumors newbie

It's going to depend on where you live and how many apple stores are in your area. Last year I got to the store about 30 minutes before my reserved time and was still about 30th in line for my check in time. The line moved fairly fast though once it started, probably about 30 minutes once my check in time started. And it doesn't really matter how early you get there in my opinion, get there an hour before your check in time, you might be first in line for your time slot but you had to get there an hour early.. show up right at check in time and you are the 50th person in line and you still gotta wait. I think the entire process will take at least an hour (waiting in line, plus the time to process).

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

15 minutes? It could take over an hour or even hours.