How scratch resistant is the iPhone 6 plus screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have an iPhone 6 plus.

I was wondering if a screen protector is necessary or if the screen itself is good at avoiding scratches.

Thanks!

2. Bobo03 macrumors regular

It is the most premium cell phone, so it needs a case and screen protector to survive everyday use.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm not worried about the case. I didn't use a case for the iPhone 5 for two years. Just a few nicks and scratches.

I'm more concerned about the screen though :eek:

4. zana, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

zana macrumors newbie

5. JeremyE macrumors regular

I've only used a bumper on my iPhone since the 4 and I've never had problems with screen scratches or even the back scratching. I've never had a screen protector that gives you the same feel as the screen, which is another reason I don't go with it. I'll be getting the leather case though because I don't think there's bumpers because of the design.

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

True. there's really no way to tell at this point what the long-term performance of the iPhone 6 Plus screen will be like. But I used my 4S for three years with no screen protector, and it was fine. As long as one isn't putting the phone in their pockets with keys or something, you shouldn't have to worry.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it only $120 for a new screen for the 6+?

also what if you get a yellow screen??:mad:

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You don't need screen protectors. They don't do squat. Unless the screen protector is made of glass (some are), it won't protect your screen from any real damage.

9. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

I've never used a screen protector on 4 or 6. My 4 was always kept in a pull up tab case for 2 years and only have a tiny scratch that most people wouldn't recognize. Just got a similar one for the thin 6. Check them out on ebay or other site that carry these.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Will protect it from scratches though. I just discovered a 1mm scratch that I can feel with my fingernail on my 6 Plus, even though I've treated it like a newborn child.

A screen protector would've stopped that from damaging the screen.

11. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

The 6+ screen DOES NOT scratch with NORMAL USE. If it does scratch then the owner is an idiot!!!!11!11!1111111

/fanboy

12. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Why you have a scratch on your phone? To each his own, on screens. My phone is kept in a pull tab case in top shirt pocket, always. Mix it up with keys coins and other objects in pants pocket, you'll get scratches.

Most guys see it as a phone, not a treasure and I've seen many that looked like sandpaper was used on them.

Good luck on your decision.

13. salmankhan macrumors member

salmankhan

This is exactly what i was about to say. The screen does not scratch at all and the smaller scratches you guys see under the sunlight is only on oleophobic coating of the screen which are not visible on normal usage

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Do a scratch test and let us know!

I like glass but am not satisfied with any available at this time

15. Skittlebug macrumors member

Where is the scratch on your 6 plus? I had the same problem and I am convinced that it came that way. I babied my phone and put a screen protector on it but it ended up with a tiny scratch that was about 1 mm long on the upper 3rd of the screen in the middle. I could see it all the time and it drove me crazy.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Plus the glass feels good to touch and is not noticeable.

17. Delmar macrumors 6502

I have put screen protectors on all of my iPhones.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This too. The material used in screen protectors has a different diffraction rating than the glass so it will always have some kind of effect.

19. LostAggie macrumors 6502

I had a very small scratch on the 6 plus. It came that way. I returned but because the phone was too big. The 6 I just picked up has a similar scratch on the glass right out of the box. It is being exchanged soon.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Mines just above and left to the home button. It's quite annoying, considering I had 0 scratches on my iPhone 5 screen.

I'm getting random resprings and my accelerometer has locked up on two different occasions (even a restore from new didn't help, it just started working again overnight), so I'm wondering whether an exchange under warranty is possible anyway.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's all about physics. Every screen is scratch resistant if you use materials softer than glass. Every screen will scratch if you use something harder than glass. Unfortunately sand contains some particles that actually are harder than glass....

----------

Screen protector is not needed.
    A case is recommended.

22. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I've been debating this as well. I've always used a screen protector on my phones, and even splashed on a zagg glass for my 5s. The problem I have with the 6 is that the curvature makes screen protectors feel terrible, because every time you swipe from the side to go back through an app or menu, you feel the edge of the screen protector.

I absolutely recommend a screen protector, it will prevent scratching, but from a purely design standpoint, these iPhones were not made to be accessorized.

That said, there are a number of scratch test videos on YouTube that really show how strong the screen is. The oleophobic coating though; not so much.

23. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

A screen protector makes the "most premium" phone's retina screen look less premium.

Not a fan of cases either. I have a Shumuri "case" coming. Don't see the need for Apple Care either. Cost is $99, deductible is $79. The most common problem is a broken screen, which Apple told me is about $109 to fix.

24. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

We've all heard about returned phones which you might have. I hope not, but these money hungry service providers will do anything. Times have changed where this wouldn't have been a problem in the past.

Just a possibility. Good luck on your next phone.

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've used the 6+ since launch with just a bumper and it's fine. As was my 5S. I think a screen protector is pointless. Especially since the new ones I've seen are so ugly