How Stupid are People?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madavid789, Oct 5, 2011.

1. madavid789 macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I was helping this person with his macbook pro cos he wanted to run windows on it. I asked him for the specs and he told me he had an i7, 8gb memory, 750gb storage, and was running lion.

Once I got to his laptop, he opened it up and I asked him did he know how to bootcamp. He shook his head and I forced a smile. "No problem!" I said, get out your copy of windows 7 and I'll do it for you. "Uhhh... you were supposed to have that?" was what I got. Restraining myself, I pulled out my external hard drive and put a copy of my iso on his desktop.

After the copying was finished, I tried to make another desktop and was shocked to see that he was running snow leopard. When I questioned him about it, I got "This can't be! I spent $2000 on this macbook! and its pro too!" Once again, I forced a smile on my face and pulled up his specs. It turns out he had and i5, 4gb memory, and 350gb storage. "I can't see how you can spend $2000 on this" I said to him and he replied "I don't see how either! I'm just as surprised as you are!" After checking if he had anti-virus on his mac (he didn't) I bootcamped windows for him. I left with the most annoying statement from him ringing in my head "I don't care about all that fancy anti-virus and other stuff like that. In my opinion, if a computer works, then I'm fine with that!"

2. HRodMusic macrumors member

HRodMusic

people are 100% stupid, just feel happy he got ripped off..

3. simsaladimbamba, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

simsaladimbamba

AV software is not needed on Mac OS X.

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

Btw, this is your first post, I guess you have some kind of agenda?

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I don't know what that has to do with this forum but that guy sounds incredibly stupid.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Because you OP know all right? I am sure you will be that "guy" in another field and the person helping you will think the same

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Life is circular like that, one mans genius is another mans moron.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

One of the few truly boundless things is the stupidity of people. Get used to it.

8. madavid789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Naw not really, I just needed somewhere to rant and rave cos this just happened like a couple hours ago :p

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

No you've got it wrong. I'm incredibly stupid and this person is nothing like me. He didn't try to pretend he was a smart (like i do). He seemed reasonable and unconcerned.

Not only that, but when confronted with the fact that he was robbed by criminals, he shrugged it off, " Hey stuff happens".

The OP on the other hand, should maybe be more tolerant of us stupid people. There seems to be a lot of us, and it could be stressful tolerating us.

:)

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

11. eljanitor, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I've been doing this for a longtime and I understand the frustrations that go with the line of work. It should come as no surprise when you go to a client and they say stuff like," You were supposed to have that for me."

I'd hate to say this but you have to wonder who was being taken advantage of here. Windows isn't cheap, but people certainly can be. They can see that they are about to pay $119.00- $220.00 in software alone at a local store and think," Maybe I'll just try to get a free copy from the tech guy."

I've heard stuff like," I had it on my computer before this happened so why can't you......." My answer is,"Because I don't see it here now, if you get the disk I'd be happy to install it for you, otherwise I'd be happy to go get you a retail copy at $XXX.XX price and install it for you."

As a tech all you can do is tell someone," This is what I recommend, or this is what we are going to do." You don't want antivirus software on your PC? You want to run windows that way? That's fine by me I'll see you in a few days to pull that nasty virus from your computer, but don't say I didn't warn you that it was going to happen.

I've learned many things over theese years and I've learned how uninformed, and also how crappy and crafty some people can be when it comes to I.T. work of any kind.

For example:

I once had a customer tell me at the end of 2 hours of work that because I didn't make a running computer out of the spare parts he provided that he wasn't going to pay me my labor rates for the time I spent doing the work. We had an understanding( as always for anyone who brings me a bunch of non working computers) at the beginning of the job that this was my hourly rate, and on that particular job I couldn't be sure that the machines provided to me for parts would make a working machine and he may have to purchase some parts to get a working machine.
    Needless to say at the end of that particular job he defended his decision that he shouldn't pay me if I didn't produce a working computer. Because as he put it," I didn't do anything so why should he pay me anything." WHAT?! I didn't do anything?!

It's those times that make you learn phrases like, "If you refuse to pay I'll see you in court sir." You also learn that there won't be a next visit to them, if and when they call you for something else that needs repair.

When it comes to any type of free software, you have to remember that legally you can't provide a free copy of what they don't have. The Apple store lives by this rule. You bring them a Mac and tell them it had blank OS on it, and you had that one on it even though theres currently a blank hard drive in it now. LOL they'll gladly put whatever it came with from the factory at the time of purchase for that machine right back on it for you. That's all you get, upgrades you pay for.

So as they would do: You want Lion on a machine that shipped with Snow leopard, or Leopard? You'll get Lion on it when you either pay them for it, or produce proof of purchase of the software, or the copy you bought.

You want windows on your Mac for free? Try convincing the Apple store, or The Geek Squad to go do that for you. They'll tell you, "This is the retail price of Windows version X. We will install that on your Mac whichever way you like it on there when you PURCAHSE A COPY and bring it to us."

When it comes to being a computer technician, or consultant, just like a plumber, or an electrician, house painter etc... will tell you at the beginning of any job," This is my quote, this is my hourly rate, do you agree to these terms before we begin, and do you understand these terms?" If I get a no, that's fine too, there are other customers out there that need work done, have a good day.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Single handedly the most level headed post ever. Congratulations.

13. aCondor macrumors 6502

I may be the stupidest person for actually reading all of the comments on this thread. Waste of time. Oh well. I'm stupid.

14. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

+1 on stupid thread. Beware of folks who draw attention to the stupidity of others.

15. Wattser93 macrumors regular

On the flipside, this weekend, I found a MBP I wanted to buy to replace my 13". The description was just "MacBook Pro 17 i7 - $1300" so I contacted him. When he showed up, these were the specs:

17" AG
    2.3 i7
    8gb RAM
    500gb Apple SSD (The original owner spent WAY too much on this computer)

I said "I'll take it", and then my dad preceded to pay him, and give it to my mom that night. So now she has the exact laptop I wanted all along, and I didn't even get a finder fee, just a huge list of things to do to it so she can use it. So I found the laptop, contacted the guy, and then had to put the effort into setting up for somebody who will never use it for more than Facebook and iPhoto. She has yet to use more than half of the screen at a time using the internet and iPhoto.

It's like the old man with the Corvette that'll never take it over 55.

Moral of the story, I'm stupid. I should have went to the bank, withdrawn the money, bought it, and then brought it home and asked for forgiveness. Instead, I asked for permission, and got the short end of the stick.

Don't feel bad, I essentially cost myself the difference between a new MBP and that used one, $1700. That's over a months pay that I will have to save to pay for a 17" over what I could have got one for...

16. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

In this day and age, you have to do your research! People are in it for themselves, its rare to find someone willing to help, let alone do the right thing. I mean I was looking in the market place for an iPad 2. and I ran across a post of a MR member who had paid for a iPad 2 16GB. The op didn't ship, didn't render an explanation or anything. Stay vigilant.

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I dont think a 350gb HD exists.

18. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I got dizzy trying to read your post but congrats on a great deal!

19. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

my dad still uses a black and white phone and occasionally asks for help closing an explorer window. technology is definitely not his 'thing'

on the other hand, when it comes to things such as construction, etc. etc. who is the noob now?

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Haha... Same sorta deal with my dad.

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Re: Title.

Very. Just look at how most people drive.

22. madavid789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I ment that he had 350gb storage left.

23. guvna macrumors newbie

Definitely agree with this.

Instead of calling him stupid OP why don't you just accept that he doesn't know and care much about computers. Isn't that the reason why you where sitting there helping him?

24. madavid789 thread starter macrumors newbie

True. But I scan't believe he gave me the wrong info on his computer. It even lists the specs under the buy menu and when you choose to buy a macbook pro, apple asks what specs you want to buy.

25. marc11 macrumors 68000

Clearly you are the smartest person on the planet, so much so, that you can spot and publicly humiliate people at will. I bow to your greatness....glad I do not call people like you friends. Poor guy probably thought you were a nice person too.

BFD, the guy didn't know about his computer? BFD indeed, I wouldn't call him stupid, I would say he just isn't anal about such things. Different people care about different things, my wife doesn't know crap about the car she drives, how much power, engine size even brand, and yet she can drive it just fine, never had an accident in over 20 years of driving....she is far from stupid.

Ignorant people are the ones the hide befind the curtain and call everyone else ignorant.