Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
I'm 190 lb 13% body ft, 5'9 and can deadlift 405 for multiple reps and count calories down to the gram...... I think I know a healthy lifestyle... The stand ring was designed for people who sit behind a computer all day eating cheese sticks.. But I can count multiple reasons why you would be in bed or not focused on standing.. I can put the watch on at 11pm and close 2/3 things.. But I cant get the "medal" because I didnt stand for 12 hours.. Even sick, I manag to squeeze in 30 minutes of spirited walking and calisthenics.. Telling me I didn't achieve the full 3 because I was laying down and SLEEPING for most of the day is rather ********..

Just like you not being able to adjust the workout ring to MORE than 30 minutes.

Move along.

I can relate to this frustration since I workout often. I have no problems closing the first two goals. The stand goal is the only one I have to think about since its fixed to the time. You can't accelerate/slow down time or "stand harder" like you can workout harder to further your progress.

Standing for an entire hour vs standing for 5 minutes within an hour are counted as the same. The point is that you are breaking a streak of sitting. It only furthers the frustration because the goal is fairly simple and does not take much work. This is very unlike the other two where you might have to go for a run or to the gym.

I thought that the stand goal would track each time you sat down and then stood up. Like it should start a timer when you sat down. However, it does not work this way. It literally just tracks if you've stood within every clock hour. Once I understood this goal I started to care less about it. Sure if im at 11/12 hours and its 10:55pm, I'll wait til its 11:00pm and stand up to close the ring but I'm not doing that if I'm off by 3 hours.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I bet this would be unfathomable to you.:eek::D

Slacker. ;):D

x6tlOzayBNFfVFiX1p6lRFtzy6It1ywBGLpZT_KxRPeGnSsL7wODx9zJkap9EuSYjN3SqCJTCE3IyFxdGvrodz5m0DnIBX4EycgyE4L8PoXzDDvmUPmxd3ik4lHAUkAz6N_COdmwefuZ-zpUhnttr3U0tP05db0jlYlfPZULgbkS-h_JcDZ9Kuobpr1hLHFL96L9qNOmDkh6djdxclXqkTOW9YOQYwmw7gu6f3YWoF7Um9OaIoopt-3xMsHjT20VUaBeaLPzYX8HdQg8-nFtUMx5Y93_Oz2A6C1h0ytB4K9P32Vtb7Hv6KGy2pPEC2k8604VvuQg8s53yNrZLd6SCvC21NYG-ARI1MzwA0rfuP4cancD-pRU_7Bon2tIGspPl0KhE1bo_a3RHPHjWc_cVRRtoaaoXi78WuHGhIEcl88fTWc23OwgIepzWJfOzJGzb7UAlo08hRxc0hDvJjKKToDDKkd3KaWVESLKbF-M7UDb0SPs-AqeBhwiptFpJKpBXaGvVf01lY7rU4TT4lg5wyT_poI2t6JZ9uTUnYfueEBc-2mYE2JAAqvt_gJL6Ajlv5PXca0LrOBjCiSfU1pSC8XfxgKwDRwis1kTfIe5Lg=w506-h897-no

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I somewhat agree with the OP, it would be nice to be able to customize your own goals & priorities like some of the other fitness trackers let you do. Yes, I know Apple has it set for what they think is best, and yes people don’t need to buy an Apple Watch but still it would be nice to have the ability to have some customization of our goals. Like set stand to 6 hours or whatever works best for the user.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The stand goal only applies with two medals each week:

1. Perfect Week - Stand
2. Perfect Week - All 3 Rings

Other than those two medals, I have not seen any other medal or streak that is affected by Stand. Everything else is move or exercise centric. There is no stand streak medal for how many days straight. Not standing does not interfere with your perfect month, with the 100, 365, 500, 1000 move goal. The Exercise ring is also not adjustable, it is constantly set to 30 minutes, no adjustments allowed. If you don't like the fact that you can't adjust the stand goal, you can:

A. Turn off Stand Reminders and ignore that ring.
B. Follow it as is and adjust your daily practices
C. Return your Apple Watch and try a product from another vendor.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
So you lay in the bed 18 hours a day and believe you should get credit for being up 6 hours?:eek::D:D:D
Not everyone is perfectly healthy and can do the exact same physical goals as everyone else. You don’t think all people should be able to set realistic goals for themselves that meet their needs or abilities? Aren’t you so kind.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The stand goal only applies with two medals each week:

1. Perfect Week - Stand
2. Perfect Week - All 3 Rings

Other than those two medals, I have not seen any other medal or streak that is affected by Stand. Everything else is move or exercise centric. There is no stand streak medal for how many days straight. Not standing does not interfere with your perfect month, with the 100, 365, 500, 1000 move goal. The Exercise ring is also not adjustable, it is constantly set to 30 minutes, no adjustments allowed. If you don't like the fact that you can't adjust the stand goal, you can:

A. Turn off Stand Reminders and ignore that ring.
B. Follow it as is and adjust your daily practices
C. Return your Apple Watch and try a product from another vendor.
I suspect it's more related to an OCD-like need to have a perfect 3-ring month-by-month. I know that I would be upset if I were to miss filling in a stand ring. That day would stick out like a sore thumb when viewing in the monthly view.

But it's irrelevant for me as Stand is the easiest of the 3 rings to fill (for me).

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Not everyone is perfectly healthy and can do the exact same physical goals as everyone else. You don’t think all people should be able to set realistic goals for themselves that meet their needs or abilities? Aren’t you so kind.
So you lay in the bed 18 hours a day and believe you should get credit for being up 6 hours?:eek::D:D:D
And I was talking in general not about me.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

And I was talking in general not about me.

I completely agree about setting realistic goals for someone. That was definitely why Apple added the Wheelchair rolling option. I'm not trying to defend Apple's choices for not making it adjustable, I'm just saying this was something known before purchasing through various keynotes and documentations on their websites since the original watch came out in 2015. All I can say to the OP is to email the concern to Apple or even to Tim Cook's email to get a response from the executive team.

In my opinion, I think the stand goal of 12 hours should be realistic for most individuals. Also, I know there have been days where I have been sick and have not been able to close that ring. The rings are meant to help people live a healthier life style. If I just set my goals to something I could always close, I'd never would have been able to push myself farther. I started with a move goal of 420 when I got my first watch in June of 2015 and my watch today bumped me up to a daily move goal of 1140.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I'm 190 lb 13% body ft, 5'9 and can deadlift 405 for multiple reps and count calories down to the gram...... I think I know a healthy lifestyle... The stand ring was designed for people who sit behind a computer all day eating cheese sticks.. But I can count multiple reasons why you would be in bed or not focused on standing.. I can put the watch on at 11pm and close 2/3 things.. But I cant get the "medal" because I didnt stand for 12 hours.. Even sick, I manag to squeeze in 30 minutes of spirited walking and calisthenics.. Telling me I didn't achieve the full 3 because I was laying down and SLEEPING for most of the day is rather ********..

Just like you not being able to adjust the workout ring to MORE than 30 minutes.

Move along.
The stand ring is to encourage people to stand/move around for at least 12 hours of the day. If you aren’t doing that you don’t deserve to close the ring and complete all 3 rings, it doesn’t matter what your body fat is or how much you can deadlift, the rule applies to all the same. If you aren’t closing the stand ring, you aren’t standing/moving enough throughout the day. Want to close it, move about more often!
If you’re spending some time in bed the watch notifies you 10 minutes before you’re about to miss an hour, get up and make a cuppa or fold some laundry etc, that’s the type of things int encouraging you to do. The three rings are meant to require different things to close, else why bother having 3 of them. Your fitness routine and lifestyle obviously make it easy for you to close 2 out of the 3. If you want to close the stand ring the watch is trying to encourage you to make some changes. Either do that, or decide you aren’t bothered about closing that particular ring. But complaining it’s ‘broken’ because you aren’t doing what it takes to complete it each day is very narrow minded.

Last edited:
Reactions: spartan1967

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I completely agree about setting realistic goals for someone. That was definitely why Apple added the Wheelchair rolling option. I'm not trying to defend Apple's choices for not making it adjustable, I'm just saying this was something known before purchasing through various keynotes and documentations on their websites since the original watch came out in 2015. All I can say to the OP is to email the concern to Apple or even to Tim Cook's email to get a response from the executive team.

In my opinion, I think the stand goal of 12 hours should be realistic for most individuals. Also, I know there have been days where I have been sick and have not been able to close that ring. The rings are meant to help people live a healthier life style. If I just set my goals to something I could always close, I'd never would have been able to push myself farther. I started with a move goal of 420 when I got my first watch in June of 2015 and my watch today bumped me up to a daily move goal of 1140.

I’m saying that giving the ability to everyone to simply be able to set their goals for their physical reality should be an option. So healthy people and people in wheelchairs have settings for them but still not others, could easily be improved by letting people set their own goals in settings.

I didn’t say anything about just making goals easy to close, maybe standing 12 times a day is easy for you and most but 6 is extremely hard for others. Setting it at 6 still gives the option for them to strive for 8-12 but they can still accomplish and meet a realistic goal for them in the meantime when they can do 6.

But this Apple, maybe in 10 years.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
I think maybe we should start a new thread to post screen shots that show what time each day we close our rings. We could post screenshots showing the three closed rings and what time it is.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
If you move your arm in a running motion for about 30 seconds sitting, standing or laying down this will count as a standing hour.

Reactions: Bballrob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.