How to block Mac OS iCal SPAM

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Donovan Dillon, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Donovan Dillon macrumors member

I received a Black Friday notification hawking sun glasses -- see attached screenshot. It apparently was delivered via an iCal invitation.

I searched for the sender ("astvn", email address 1zbf@iv83.top) in Spotlight (which returns the invitation under events & reminder) and Mail (which returns no results though the sender appears in the search results people list).

Since I cannot find the actual invitation in mail or any other app there appears to be no way to block the sender or to flag this as SPAM.

This appears to be a SPAM backdoor. Any suggestions on how to close it?

Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    I found this answer in this very helpful Apple Support Forum thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7611786

I also used the SPAM calendar suggestion to isolate and delete the SPAM event. This is such a pain the ass. I wasted almost an hour on this nuisance.

Attached Files:

2. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I received the exact same spam invitation too. Thank you for the solution (or work around)!!

3. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I got the same thing today. I'm in BC, Canada.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Yeah, I got it, too. Didn't insert in my calendar though. I just refused ti accept it and deleted it. Never have had anything like it before. Not too happy about it.

5. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

You should never refuse because then they know its an active mail.
    Here´s the solution.
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/09/icloud-photo-sharing-and-calendar-spam/

6. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

I also received exactly the same spam yesterday.

7. ManuCH macrumors 6502

I also received the same spam. Then I made a random comment to @AppleSupport on Twitter. They contacted me privately, opened a case and insisted that a senior advisor wants to talk to me.

It seems like this escalated internally at Apple, as thousands of customers got the same spam. They'll call me later today to discuss the matter, even though I told them it's not that important. Funny. I'll report back and tell you what they said.

8. ManuCH macrumors 6502

So I got off the phone with Apple Support and...

... this is actually the official Apple-sanctioned way of fixing the problem.

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Why? It's exactly what we have been talking about, no change.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    Unless they can figure out a clever way to defeat this behind the scenes I suspect Apple will introduce a Spam button alongside Accept and Decline. The button won't send back a notification to the sender. By crowd sourcing what data is Spam they could hopefully have an automatic process to kill it before it reaches your device.

11. celadon macrumors newbie

celadon

Thank you! I was wondering what was going on! Thanks for the solution!