How to: Boot Camp without a Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MisterAndrew, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MisterAndrew, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 7:42 PM

MisterAndrew macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Warning!: Since I wrote this article it has been discovered that Windows when installed in EFI mode is corrupting the Mac Pro’s firmware by signing it with multiple x509 certificates. However, it appears the firmware is being corrupted when Windows is installed in legacy mode as well since at least one user has reported a bricked machine. Therefore it is not recommended to install Windows on the Mac Pro!

No boot screen? No problem. :)

There are a few nifty programs that allow you to dual boot Windows and MacOS easily. There's a free one called BootChamp by Kevin Wojniak. It's a simple program that places a Windows icon on the menu bar. To boot Windows simply click the icon and then select Restart into Windows. There's another one called QuickBoot that is like a mini Startup Disk preference pane that also works from the menu bar like BootChamp. It gives you control over your macOS startup disks in addition to your Boot Camp disk. Then there is a paid program called Boot Runner by Twocanoes. It basically does the same thing as BootChamp but instead of placing an icon on the menu bar it gives you a fancy customizable boot menu that overlays the login screen. It has advanced options and is useful if you have multiple OS installations including Linux. These programs make a temporary change in NVRAM to select the startup disk so that part of System Integrety Protection must be disabled. To do that start your computer in Recovery Mode by holding command + R at startup. Open Terminal from the Utilities menu and type “csrutil enable --without nvram” and then restart the computer.

BootChamp can be downloaded from https://www.kainjow.com/.

QuickBoot can be downloaded from https://buttered-cat.com/product/quickboot/.

Boot Runner can be found at https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/boot-runner/. There is a 14-day free trial available to new users.

2. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Thanks to h9826790 for originally suggesting this solution. :)

3. Theophany, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

What are the long term implications of leaving SIP disabled permanently?

Has anybody tried Boot Runner? This appears to work as an overlay on the MacOS login screen, so should get around the problem of not having boot screens. It also works with SIP enabled.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/boot-runner/

4. MisterAndrew, Apr 13, 2018

MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Disabled SIP is like running Mavericks or earlier. Thanks for finding Boot Runner. Maybe I’ll try that. It would be nice to have the SIP security features enabled.

5. banu63 macrumors newbie

6. MisterAndrew, Apr 13, 2018

MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Found out you can keep SIP enabled for file protection. Instead of disabling all of it we can just disable it for NVRAM. Twocanoes instructs you to do that when setting up Boot Runner. It works for BootChamp too.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    I updated the instructions to include Boot Runner.

7. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Sticky thread updated to include this useful instruction :D

8. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Interesting. So disable SIP just for NVRAM and BootChamp works - that sounds like it is the ideal solution!

9. MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

Personally .. I don't like any version of Windows but if I absolutely HAVE TO use it I like to have a "pure" experience .. so . I recently installed both Win 7 & WIn 8.1 64 bit on my upgraded to 5,1 cMP on dedicated harddrives.

Sometimes the boot up is longish but (I boot with only the relevant Win installed HDD ) after the spinning backslash does it's stuff all is well. No need at all to install Bootcamp Win components .. everything works. Keyboard OK ! plus my USB 3.0 & 3.1 driers get installed automatically.

The crux of my argument is that using this way .. there are no OX / Win clashes at all.

10. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

I would still be good to install the drivers from Boot Camp. There are specific chipset drivers for the Mac Pro. Also, if you have an updated Airport card from a newer iMac the only drivers available are the Boot Camp ones. It also has HFS+ drivers and while Win 10 no longer mounts HFS+ drives automatically for some reason there’s a way to mount them manually with a registry mod.

11. expede, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

expede macrumors regular

expede

Hi!

I tried the "csrutil enable --without nvram". But it does not work for me. I got the BootChamp working but just with "csrutil disable". Am I missing something here? BootChamp shuts the OSX down but hangs in a "white screen of death". Only "hard core" shut-down seams to resolve that issue. But if I disable SIP it works fine. Just an observation.

Best Regards

/Per

12. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Did you type it correctly? E comes after L in enable.

13. expede macrumors regular

expede

Of course I did! Otherwise terminal would go crazy and say something like ”Could not recognize command...” I’ll correct my spelling. / Per

14. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Does anyone else have the problem where you get stuck on the windows logo with no spinning dots after using BootChamp? It doesn't happen for every boot but maybe once out of 3?

15. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

NO in my case. Even though I don't use BootChamp now, but I never had that before.

16. dontpokebearz macrumors member

This seems awesome. Sorry if this is a noob question - but windows still does not recognize APFS right? Also, is their a way to boot back into MacOS easily? I was reading somewhere that it was not as straight forward as one would think.

17. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I figured it out. I had to re-install windows. I corrupted something on the drive or something. All is working well now.

18. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

If you have an OOTB GPU, then PRAM reset should always bring you back to macOS (even though your graphic card is not flashed.

19. dontpokebearz macrumors member

Ah okay, so RX580?

20. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

RX580 OK

21. lilins, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018

lilins macrumors member

lilins

Hi, unearthing the thread. Just to tell you i finally managed to have a working windows boot drive with my vega 64 (even though i can't have access to all the sapphire features from their strixx software...?

My only problem is switching from one os to the other

From windows if i choose reboot to osx - i reboot to winwin

From High Sierra if i choose reboot to bootcamp - i end up with a no bootable device, insert boot disk.

my win ssd is in optical bay 2

tried installing my gt120 in slot 4 but i end up not being able to log in to osx due to distorted image on the gt120 (hdmi to the screen + DVI to hdmi adapter)

in the end... the gt120 is useless to me and i can't switch os... how did everyone with high sierra win 10 1709 did?

edit.

for win to mac the issue seems to be SIP, but even with csrutil enable —without nvram i get same issue - strange. because of mac pro bootcamp version i was also thinking about the way HS boot (preboot volumes etc..) that may differ from before. but even on hfs+ i had same issue.

for mac2win i also think it’s the bootcamp version who is looking for legacyboot instead of uefi boot.

22. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Your Windows 10 installed in legacy mode or EFI mode?

23. lilins macrumors member

lilins

i guess it’s efi, as legacy boot won’t find bootable file. is there any legacy bootloader wich would allow me to choose my uefi boot and mac boot? (as the legacy mode seems to display something on the video card)

24. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

No, nothing will be displayed unless you has a Mac EFI GPU. But since you practically can't use the GT120. Which means no bootloader you can use.

25. lilins macrumors member

lilins

ok but then can anyone explain me how legacy bootloader can display the text with my non mac efi GPU? :) i would have expected a non powering screen as an adequate behaviour! ;)