How to: Boot Camp without a Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MisterAndrew, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

The issue with Boot Runner is that it really is designed for widescale deployment in classrooms and such. It's too much for the average user. What was useful was that Boot Runner seems to be the only website that shows users they can disable SIP only for nvram.

2. lilins macrumors member

lilins

So, i just tried my proof of concept for what i want to do, and here is how i want it to look like.

This was done with an Applescript so i had to have a passwordless admin user wich is clearly not good :)

But at least i know the commands i need and i can go to a "Launchd" version wich i expect, will be more secure and deployable.

edit: You can skip all the black screen to the last few seconds, it was just to show it is effectively working.

3. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

I think you can have the password stored inside the script as well. But this may be an even worse idea than running a passwordless admin account.

4. lilins macrumors member

lilins

SO i managed to make this as a launchd.

the sh is only accessible for root and the user bootcamp (standard user without password) can only sudo for this script

BUT i am just unable to make Something easily deployable... the sudoers file is a pain in the ass

5. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Just some extra info for the original post.

AFAIK, in order to let Bootchamp / Boot Runner work correctly. The user should avoid any use NTFS software in macOS. If the Windows boot drive is mounted by those NTFS software to enable write in. Bootchamp / Boot Runner may not able to make it boot (or even can't recognise it's a Windows boot drive).

6. lilins macrumors member

lilins

Honestly i ended up using an applescrip for my UEFI Mac Pro.