How to Boot Windows without a Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MisterAndrew, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MisterAndrew, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

MisterAndrew macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

No boot screen? No problem. :)

There are a couple nifty programs that allow you to dual boot Windows and MacOS easily. There's a free one called BootChamp by Kevin Wojniak. It's a simple program that places a Windows icon on the menu bar. To boot Windows simply click the icon and then select Restart into Windows. The other one is a paid program called Boot Runner by Twocanoes. It basically does the same thing as BootChamp but instead of placing an icon on the menu bar it gives you a fancy customizable boot menu that overlays the login screen. It has advanced options and is useful if you have multiple OS installations including Linux. These programs make a temporary change in NVRAM to select the startup disk so that part of System Integrety Protection must be disabled. To do that start your computer in Recovery Mode by holding command + R at startup. Open Terminal from the Utilities menu and type “csrutil enable --without nvram” and then restart the computer.

BootChamp can be downloaded from https://www.kainjow.com/.

Boot Runner can be found at https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/boot-runner/. There is a 14-day free trial available to new users.

If you don't already have Windows installed here are instructions. This is for Windows 10 and MacOS High Sierra. Note that a valid genuine Windows 10 license must be purchased from Microsoft.
    1. Download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and create an install DVD.
    2. Open Boot Camp Assistant and download the Boot Camp drivers to a USB flash drive.
    3. Format your Windows Boot Camp drive as FAT32. Make sure it has the GUID partition scheme by selecting Partition in Disk Utility.
    4. Boot from the Windows 10 DVD by selecting it in Startup Disk in System Preferences or hold down the C key at startup. If you have problems booting the DVD shut down the computer and then remove all drives except for the drive Windows is to be installed on.
    5. In the Windows setup select the drive it is to be installed on and format it as NTFS. If you get an error saying Windows can’t be installed on a GPT disk then delete the partition and create a new one in the unpartitioned space.
    6. In Windows install the Boot Camp drivers. If desired you can then download and install Boot Camp 6 drivers that officially support Windows 10. Link for methods to obtain them here.
    7. If you previously removed your other drives shut down the computer and reinstall them.
    8. Start the computer in Recovery Mode by holding command + R at startup. Open Terminal from the Utilities menu and type “csrutil enable --without nvram” and then click on the Apple icon on the menu bar and select Startup Disk. Select your MacOS boot drive to restart your computer into MacOS.
    9. In Startup Disk in System Preferences make sure your MacOS boot drive is selected as the startup disk.
    10. Download and install BootChamp or Boot Runner.
    11. Now you can boot Windows after starting your Mac into MacOS. If you installed BootChamp there will be a Windows icon on the menu bar. Click Restart into Windows when you’d like to switch to Windows. If you installed Boot Runner you will be greeted with a fancy boot screen at login. To restart into MacOS from Windows all you have to do is restart from the Windows menu. You can now reformat your MacOS boot drive as APFS if you want (if you formatted it HFS+) since you won’t be using the Boot Camp control panel in Windows because your Mac is set to start up into MacOS. Note that you will always start Windows using BootChamp or Boot Runner after booting into MacOS.

2. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Thanks to h9826790 for originally suggesting this solution. :)

3. Theophany, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

What are the long term implications of leaving SIP disabled permanently?

Has anybody tried Boot Runner? This appears to work as an overlay on the MacOS login screen, so should get around the problem of not having boot screens. It also works with SIP enabled.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/boot-runner/

4. MisterAndrew, Apr 13, 2018

MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Disabled SIP is like running Mavericks or earlier. Thanks for finding Boot Runner. Maybe I’ll try that. It would be nice to have the SIP security features enabled.

5. banu63 macrumors newbie

6. MisterAndrew, Apr 13, 2018

MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Found out you can keep SIP enabled for file protection. Instead of disabling all of it we can just disable it for NVRAM. Twocanoes instructs you to do that when setting up Boot Runner. It works for BootChamp too.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    I updated the instructions to include Boot Runner.

7. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Sticky thread updated to include this useful instruction :D

8. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Interesting. So disable SIP just for NVRAM and BootChamp works - that sounds like it is the ideal solution!

9. MIKX macrumors regular

MIKX

Personally .. I don't like any version of Windows but if I absolutely HAVE TO use it I like to have a "pure" experience .. so . I recently installed both Win 7 & WIn 8.1 64 bit on my upgraded to 5,1 cMP on dedicated harddrives.

Sometimes the boot up is longish but (I boot with only the relevant Win installed HDD ) after the spinning backslash does it's stuff all is well. No need at all to install Bootcamp Win components .. everything works. Keyboard OK ! plus my USB 3.0 & 3.1 driers get installed automatically.

The crux of my argument is that using this way .. there are no OX / Win clashes at all.

10. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

I would still be good to install the drivers from Boot Camp. There are specific chipset drivers for the Mac Pro. Also, if you have an updated Airport card from a newer iMac the only drivers available are the Boot Camp ones. It also has HFS+ drivers and while Win 10 no longer mounts HFS+ drives automatically for some reason there’s a way to mount them manually with a registry mod.

11. expede, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

expede macrumors member

Hi!

I tried the "csrutil enable --without nvram". But it does not work for me. I got the BootChamp working but just with "csrutil disable". Am I missing something here? BootChamp shuts the OSX down but hangs in a "white screen of death". Only "hard core" shut-down seams to resolve that issue. But if I disable SIP it works fine. Just an observation.

Best Regards

/Per

12. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Did you type it correctly? E comes after L in enable.

13. expede macrumors member

Of course I did! Otherwise terminal would go crazy and say something like ”Could not recognize command...” I’ll correct my spelling. / Per

14. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Does anyone else have the problem where you get stuck on the windows logo with no spinning dots after using BootChamp? It doesn't happen for every boot but maybe once out of 3?

15. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

NO in my case. Even though I don't use BootChamp now, but I never had that before.

16. dontpokebearz macrumors newbie

This seems awesome. Sorry if this is a noob question - but windows still does not recognize APFS right? Also, is their a way to boot back into MacOS easily? I was reading somewhere that it was not as straight forward as one would think.

17. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I figured it out. I had to re-install windows. I corrupted something on the drive or something. All is working well now.

18. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

If you have an OOTB GPU, then PRAM reset should always bring you back to macOS (even though your graphic card is not flashed.

19. dontpokebearz macrumors newbie

Ah okay, so RX580?

20. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

RX580 OK