Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced significant price hikes for several of its services, including Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+. Because of the higher individual prices, the cost of the Apple One bundles have also increased.

Apple-TV-Arcade-and-News-Price-Increase-Feature-2-Purple.jpg

In the U.S., Apple TV+ is now $9.99 per month, up from $6.99 per month. Apple Arcade+ is up $2 at $6.99, and Apple News+ is now priced at $12.99 per month, up from $9.99 per month. Apple One Individual and Family are $3 more expensive, while Premier is $5 more. Prices are going up in most countries where Apple services are available.

Apple-One-Services-Youd-Like-to-Keep-Feature-1.jpg

If you're unhappy with the new price points for Apple's services, it's quick and easy to cancel. Here's how on an iPhone or iPad:
  1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Tap on your profile picture.
  3. Tap on Subscriptions.
  4. If you have Apple One, tap on "Cancel All Services" to end your subscription for every service. If you want to pick and choose certain ones to keep, tap on "Choose Individual Services."
  5. If you have individual subscriptions, tap on one of the subscriptions and choose the "Cancel Subscription" option.
  6. Tap on "Confirm" to go through with the cancelation.
After your subscription is canceled, your services will continue to be accessible until your next billing date. So if you paid for a year of Apple TV+, for example, it will be available until what you've paid for expires. Apple One can only be purchased on a monthly basis, so you'll have a month at most before access runs out.

If you need to cancel your subscription on your Mac, the process is similar. Open the System Settings app, click on your profile picture, select Media & Purchases, and choose "Manage" under the Subscriptions option. From there, you can follow the same steps listed above.

Apple's increased prices start today for new subscribers, but Apple is offering existing subscribers a 30-day grace period. After that 30 days, existing subscribers will see the new prices on their next renewal date. Apple is likely to send out emails ahead of the price hikes.

Article Link: How to Cancel Your Apple TV+ or Apple One Subscription

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm on the family Premier. $17 for apple music that everyone uses everyday and 10 for fitness plus which at least somebody is using everyday leaves me with $10 to cover 2 TB of storage and some pretty good shows on TV+ in the $37 monthly fee. I'll be sticking around.

Last edited:

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
40% increase is pure greed.
So you have a deep understanding of the costs involved in these services? Sounds like a speculation based opinion or judgement. It IS possible that in order to maintain the same profit as last year they needed to raise the prices that amount. We have NO idea what is going on behind the scenes and what cost increases Apple is having to adjust for. It is of course possible they just are trying to see just how high they can go until losing subscribers. I for one have just adjusted down on my services.

It is amazing to me how many negative reactions I am getting for suggesting it could be more complicated than simple "Greed". I also said it could be greed. Tough crowd.

Last edited:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
No way! The value you get from these are very worth it. Not a fan of subs but Apple earns theirs.

Let's see here, we've got Apple Arcade, the games service for people who are overwhelmed by actual games, Apple News, where more space is taken up on screen by advertising than actual news, and Apple TV+, the streaming channel that brings you Ted Lasso, Ted Lasso, Charlie Brown, Ted Lasso, Ted Lasso, and oh yeah, like 70 other TV shows that no one talks about.

These are the best services they've ever created with an Apple logo on them, hands down.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Free to air news is my rare foray for scanning the major headlines, news is certainly not something I find value in given the majority of it is sensationalist garbage.

I have all of my CD's on my iPhone, so I don't need to stream music either, plus, living in a remote area as I do, I don't need to put up with network dropouts interrupting my favourite track mid chorus!

Apple TV? Perhaps in 10 years they'll have a subscription worthy catalogue of their own, but as a consolidator still requiring each god damned platform to have their own active subscription, it serves no benefit over using that other platform directly, if you only have one or two.

As living costs have soared, I've cancelled iCloud, and all of my video streaming services because they aren't crucial.

Last edited:

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
So you have a deep understanding of the costs involved in these services? Sounds like a speculation based opinion or judgement. It IS possible that in order to maintain the same profit as last year they needed to raise the prices that amount. We have NO idea what is going on behind the scenes and what cost increases Apple is having to adjust for. It is of course possible they just are trying to see just how high they can go until losing subscribers. I for one have just adjusted down on my services.
The issue is that it's not really worth what they are already charging. Originals like Invasion and Foundation second season were awful. I watched the Tetris movie and it was a surreal reworking of history. Most of their productions are like this and I'm out.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
This is a great reminder to not use the cloud for anything, from any company unless you absolutely have to.

Cloud storage = giant tech company got you by the #&#$ into perpetuity. Do you really need cloud services in exchange for a slight convenience of syncing your phone / photos to your Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.