How to change system font?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Paradoxally, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

I installed Yosemite DP3 because I feel that it's good enough for my daily usage in terms of development (using Xcode and other tools).

However, I do not like the visual changes. I can deal with the new dock, but the system font is hideous. I can barely stand it on stock iOS (that's why I install Bytafont right away after a JB), and seeing it on the desktop is not good. Lucida Grande was fine.

In previous versions of OS X there used to be a way to replace certain files and basically use any font you like (the now deceased MacThemes used to have a huge thread for this). I'm just wondering if it would work to get 10.9's system font files and replace Helvetica Neue once and for all. If not, I'll just downgrade to Mavericks. Thanks!

2. Paradoxally thread starter macrumors 65816

3. dcaldwellfilms macrumors newbie

Were you able to get Tinkertool working in 10.10? I haven't been able to figure out how to do so.

4. Paradoxally thread starter macrumors 65816

You gotta change the system version temporarily to 10.9.

5. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Hey man, do you mind posting screenshots with the font you are now using (Lucida Grande I assume?) I also can't stand Helvetica Neue. Thanks!

6. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Have you encountered any problems with Yosemite using a different font?

7. Paradoxally thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, it worked fine when I was on Yosemite. Downgraded to Mavericks because of performance issues and app compatibility.

8. dcaldwellfilms macrumors newbie

9. buddster macrumors newbie

I'm also curious to see what font the OP is now using. When I run tinker tool on Mavericks, it shows Helvetica as being my default - not Lucida Grande. Anyone else show this?

10. dcaldwellfilms macrumors newbie

Yes. I changed it to Helvetica Neue, logged out, and when I logged back it it looks like any traces of Lucida Grande were changed to Helvetica/Helvetica Neue.

Make sure if you do this that you change back the systemversion.plist back after doing this or else your computer will not function up to par. I recommend changing it before rebooting.

11. klamzi macrumors member

Main issue with fonts is not the style but the way they are rendered. It seems Yosemite makes them some how not as clear as older os X

They look over bolded and feels bit fuzzy it is very ugly i guess they think it's fine and may be that how will be of now on.

12. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

Turn off LCD Font smoothing (in general system prefs). Makes the typeface lighter and less "bulky". Makes a big difference.

13. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

How i can change the fonts in adobe photoshop to white. The text is not readable in dark modus :mad:

[​IMG]

14. klamzi, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

klamzi macrumors member

I know. I already have it off but still look way too bolded.
    Still hope they will do something about it.

15. 3282868 macrumors 603

Drives me crazy! I have no idea how to change it, and fear it will be up to Adobe. Unless anyone knows a plist file that sets font settings, I'm guessing that's in the code.

16. Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

Could you post a screenshot showing Yosemite + Lucida Grande, please? :)

17. axeen macrumors newbie

How exactly? I tried downloading Tinkertool and the only option for changing fonts was for applications, not for the system itself. Or maybe that wasn't what you wanted?

18. headhunt007 macrumors newbie

19. DMojo macrumors newbie

Thanks for this! Looks much better.

I didn't install the Bold file so that the text on the menu bar remains aligned. It just means all Bold fonts will display as Helvetica Neue.

20. headhunt007 macrumors newbie

You're welcome. In case you hadn't noticed the install instructions changed slightly to solve a system font error. Quite an easy fix, as per following URL amended install notes in green...

https://github.com/jenskutilek/FiraSystemFontReplacement/commit/438cd0e3ca929c1830f84d82fc09907e2d3a6812

21. sebasg macrumors newbie

Bravo Jens! This is the smartest solution I've found all over the Internet. Unfortunately the fix doesn't work and the aligment issue remains (i'm on Mac 27" - 2013)
    Any ideas?

BTW, there is any way we mortals can select a different font?

Attached Files:

22. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Yeah but fonts will look like utter crap in other areas.

23. KarmenP macrumors newbie

help

Hi

I have another font related issue... just installed Yosomite on a macbook pro and on the startup I'm getting X in a box under the icons where the words should be.

I was told by my IT that this was a missing font issue...

see screenshot

any suggestions??

[​IMG]

24. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Off-topic from how to change the system font

A related topic began yesterday:

Anyone know this problem with login screen?

– you might like to continue there.

25. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Related

Related

What do you think of Lucida Grande + OS X Yosemite

– some of those posts include approaches to changes. It may be particularly interesting to note that one poster was told that a font was "missing".

(Might a customer-preferred font not include the required character set? That's a lazy guess … I'm more focused on other things at the moment.)