How to Disable Automatic Subscription Following Apple Music Trial

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2015.

1. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

And that was revolutionary when I first saw it in 2007.

2. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Maybe they were feeling nostalgic. Since this service should've been available since iOS 4

3. MrGuder macrumors 68030

I'm so glad this was posted because I don't plan to pay any subscription and wasn't sure how to opt out. Now I can download the update.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

But last used in iOS 4 correct?

5. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I think it's on our agenda, or I will pass it along.

6. shaunvis macrumors member

Thanks for that. I'll be canceling.

Apple Music sucks.
    - the volume of songs seems about 50-75% of what a track saved to my phone is

- The sound quality is crap. Most songs sound like a tin can

7. MattL1979 macrumors newbie

MattL1979

The iForgot form (in the Settings/iTunes Store menu) shows the "Retro" theme too.

8. AFPoster macrumors 68000

This makes life easier when you can cancel a head of time. Already executed. Don't listen to music that much, but nice knowing I can see what I like.

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

just saying what? :)

10. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is what you're looking for -- but I noticed today you can go to Settings -> Music, and turn off "Show Apple Music" (obviously, you'd have to do this in each device).

11. furi0usbee, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Can you turn it off in iTunes on the Mac? Don't see an option.

EDIT: Found it... in iTunes Account Info > Settings > Subscriptions > Manage

12. pauliaK macrumors regular

pauliaK

Yes, you get an email right away with a link to subscription management which takes you right to the settings page where you can turn it off. Real easy and simply yet I can only imagine on how many people will miss on it or never read an actual email and end up screaming on how they were tricked into paying Apple for something that they only tried once and never used it again.

13. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I still with iOS 9 b2 and no Apple music yet. But, on the iMac (10.11 DP2) the iTunes updated and it asked me for the trial. I chose family trial, but cannot see on the iTunes 12.2where is the option to disable the auto renewal after the trial. ?

Edit: Found it :)
    On the Account Information screen:

1. Scroll to the Settings section.
    2. To the right of Subscriptions, click Manage. If you have more than one subscription, then click Edit to the right of Your Membership (Apple Music Membership).

14. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

Not to mention that Manage Subscriptions has been there for a long time, and has been a way to always control your subscriptions to books and other services.

People just forget about it I suppose.

I turned it off as soon as I subscribed. I do the same for anything that wants a subscription and offers a free trial period.

As a side note I don't find it a very good service, sure the music seems there but it seems in weird locations and places, a lot of these Hot Tracks I haven't even heard of.

Spotify has top tracks for your country which is nice.

15. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

This took me ages to find, because I looked for it in iTunes on my Mac, and I'm fairly certain it doesn't have a button for it. :/

16. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

To turn off Subscriptions?

Store Menu > View Account > Sign In > Manage (Under Settings) for Subscriptions.

Mine doesn't show but I've already turned it off so it may not unless there's an active or subscription that's already been processed at least once.

17. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Judging from the overwhelming negative feedback from early adopters, I strongly advise not even trying the three month free trial until the worst bugs are crushed.

18. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Apple didn't find a way to eliminate the bug on iTunes match. So apple music is the similar thing to iTunes match. I can expect the same bugs will reoccur on apple music.

Streaming music is a really bad idea. Really bad, I think.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

You mean the idea that has worked just fine for companies like Spotify for some time now?

20. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Umm, for people living / travelling in big cities with decent internet connection, this might be good.

I don't use spotify because I just hate streaming contents. I would prefer owning them unless I don't like them.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure, people have their own preferences and what works or doesn't work for them (for whatever reasons). But that doesn't make something like steaming music a bad, let alone a really bad, idea, as far as the general concept goes.

22. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

But it does though...makes me want to turn auto renewal back on just to see the button again!

23. myMacRumors macrumors regular

What's new here? Turn on or off auto-renewal subscriptions? it's the same procedures when you subscribe to any in-app subscriptions like weekly, monthly, etc

24. jettredmont macrumors 68030

They up-front give you a link directly here labeled "Manage my subscription", and clearly state what happens if you turn auto-renewal off (a lot of other places which do the same label it "Cancel subscription" and sow doubt about what is going to happen - i.e., will the subscription immediately cease, or just not renew?)

I don't know what else you could possibly want other than not requiring a credit card in the first place (but guaranteed this was a key requirement of the music label contracts; typical contracts see a CC tie-in as a way to prevent serial "free trial" abuse and so any time you are negotiating something with a free trial aspect to it a CC tie-in will be heavily favored ... in Apple's case it is a moot point but still gains leverage in the contract negotiation). Apple is making it easier to stop subscribing (and thus lower-risk to try the free trial) than any other service I've used in the past decade.

25. jettredmont macrumors 68030

That is odd (I don't have Apple Music but to have iTunes Match aka Music in the Cloud which has similar functionality). I know a lot of people found the need to wipe their device's cached music library out and re-download it to get around glitches with scrambled artist names or artwork (i.e., scrambled song metadata) on the device for any uploaded music. Or do you mean something else by syncing properly with iTunes?

In any case, I'm waiting to start my three-month trial until later this month, expecting a lot of the back-end jitters to have been resolved by then so I can have a full three-month trial representative of the working service rather than with startup bugs in place.