Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now allowing Mac users running macOS Ventura and macOS Monterey to try out its latest Safari 17 browser before it officially launches alongside macOS Sonoma in the fall. Keep reading to learn what's new and how to download it.

safari-icon-blue-banner.jpeg

Last month, Apple quietly began making beta versions of Safari 17 available to download as a standalone package. Prior to this, the only way to try out the revamped version of Safari was to install the macOS Sonoma Beta, but now anyone running macOS Ventura or macOS Monterey can try out Safari 17 without having to install Apple's latest beta operating system on their Mac.

What's New in Safari 17 for macOS

As of writing, Safari 17 for macOS Ventura and Monterey has reached its fourth beta. Not only is it snappier with faster search responsiveness, it also has more relevant search suggestions – and easier-to-read suggestions. Here's what else is new:
  • Locked Private Browsing: Private browsing windows in Safari can now be locked when not in use, and require secondary authentication via Touch ID or your Mac's password to unlock and access for added privacy.
  • One-Time Code AutoFill from Mail: One-time verification codes you receive in Apple Mail now autofill in Safari, making it easy to log in without leaving the browser.
  • Advanced Tracking and Fingerprinting Protection: URLs in ‌Safari 17‌ can be stripped of all tracking information appended to the end of the URL so that websites cannot track your browsing using URL identifiers.
  • Multi-Tab Selection: You can now select multiple open tabs at once to move them around the tab bar or create a Tab Group for them.
  • Favicons in the Favorites Bar: You can now identify sites in the Favorites bar more easily with favicons.
  • Hide IP Address From Websites: There's a new option to hide IP address from both trackers and websites or only trackers when using the iCloud Private Relay feature.
    Reading List Widget: You can now add your Safari Reading List to your Mac's Notification Center for quick access.
    Privacy Protections for App Extensions: You can now set per-site privacy settings for app extensions in addition to web extensions.
  • Safari Profiles: Safari has gained a new feature called Profiles, which is designed to help keep your browsing separate for topics like Work, School, or Personal. Each profile gets its own icon and silos your history, Tab Groups, favorites, and cookies. You can even assign specific extensions to profiles to optimize your browsing experience based on the task at hand.

macos-sonoma-tidbits3.jpg

How to Install Safari 17 on macOS Ventura/Monterey

In an unexpected change for 2023, anyone who signs in to Apple's developer account website with their Apple ID gets access to developer beta releases as well, even if they are not a paying member of Apple's Developer Program. So if you're still interested in trying out Safari 17, simply follow the steps below.

Note that Safari 17 Beta 4 requires macOS Ventura 13.4 or macOS Monterey 12.5 to run, and that installing it will overwrite your current Safari version. Also, bear in mind that this is beta software, so you may potentially experience bugs and issues that negatively impact your browsing. Having said that, beta 4 is very stable in our experience.
  1. Open Safari on your Mac and go to Apple's developer website.
  2. Under "Sign in to Apple Developer," enter and submit your Apple ID and password using the arrow buttons, then if required, enter the two-factor authentication code sent to your Apple devices.
  3. Now click through to the Safari Beta Downloads page.
  4. Under Safari 17, click View Details, then click the Safari 17 Beta DMG link to download the installation package applicable to your macOS version.
  5. Once the package is downloaded to your Mac, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions to complete installation.
safari-17-dowload-links.jpg

Wrapping Up

When Safari 17 is officially released to the public as part of macOS Sonoma, users can expect some additional features, including the ability to save your favorite websites to the Dock as streamlined Web Apps, as well as the ability to share website passwords and passkeys with trusted contacts.

Article Link: How to Download Safari 17 Beta for macOS Ventura and Monterey

Last edited:

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
For a parallel installation i would prefer and do install always the Safari Technology Preview:

View attachment 2240936

This Version also gets automatic Updates but uses the same saved Bookmarks etc. so better do not delete anything.
Agreed it's a nice alternative, especially if you're a developer, but the current release unfortunately doesn't work with macOS Monterey.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It is a start, but 80% (at least) of my Mac browsing happens on FIREFOX.

It’s the quality of the extensions that keeps me with the fox 🤓
I've long gone elsewhere too.
There are quite a few websites that don't work on Safari. In fact I see a lot of organisations actively suggesting Chrome. Having said that the vast majority of web work for me is Chrome and FIrefox. Safari is probably 5%.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Last night, at 2AM in the night, I was on the bed and my phone made a sound, and that was the invitation for the beta of Safari 17 for my Mac on Monterey.

However, I no longer install betas anymore, past are those days I tested every new beta with excitement while suffering the bugs and annoyances of using beta software. Nowadays I stay with the stable releases as much as I can. Thankfully, Safari keeps getting updates on older systems such as Monterey.

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
Last night, at 2AM in the night, I was on the bed and my phone made a sound, and that was the invitation for the beta of Safari 17 for my Mac on Monterey.

However, I no longer install betas anymore, past are those days I tested every new beta with excitement while suffering the bugs and annoyances of using beta software. Nowadays I stay with the stable releases as much as I can. Thankfully, Safari keeps getting updates on older systems such as Monterey.
I encourage you to use focus modes to prevent those notifications at 2 AM.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I've long gone elsewhere too.
There are quite a few websites that don't work on Safari. In fact I see a lot of organisations actively suggesting Chrome. Having said that the vast majority of web work for me is Chrome and FIrefox. Safari is probably 5%.
Name a website that doesn’t work with Safari. I use Safari all day long and have yet to run into a website that doesn’t work. Even government websites work these days.

pappkristof

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2015
I can't answer your question... But I can add that I am quite excited about WebApps in particular. Especially YouTube. I love that I don't need to be logged into my YouTube account in Safari
It seems to be the best feature of Sonama. I wanted a stand-alone Netflix app but a WebApp is still better than nothing.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Name a website that doesn’t work with Safari. I use Safari all day long and have yet to run into a website that doesn’t work. Even government websites work these days.
Are you in the UK?
If so you're wrong.
I have had to fill out online forms for accees to Police and they do not work.
There are some large org, (main contractors for construction sites), that also do NOT work. Can't remember exactly now but it was someone like Wilmot Dixon IIRC.
CITB sometimes has problems.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I can't answer for the person you're responding to but I've had many sites not work properly in Safari. Most notably sites where I need to select seats for an airline/concert/theatre - that kind of thing. I've also had various issues with Government sites where I need to upload documents to or sites that have embedded bits and bobs that just don't render/display properly in Safari. Just filling in Gov forms is mostly ok though.

I have also noticed an issue in the last 6 months that causes Safari to display massive black and white 'objects' instead of the website, yet the site renders properly on a Chrome based browser or Firefox. I've never bothered to investigate further.

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
It's been years since I've come across a site that doesn't work in Safari too. I think you'd have to be doing something really whacky and non-standard to make a site not work in Safari these days. I work in web dev and I've not come across a Safari issue with any of our systems for years (although admittedly we don't develop anything too complicated rendering-wise).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.