Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
In theory this is quite easy.

Many of you have just been updating instead of doing a full restore, which has been preserving your hacked IPCC files from back in the day. I accidentally did a full restore on my iPhone when I loaded 3.0 GM onto it.

All you have to do is load the original Pre-Release version of iTunes 8.2 (8.2.0.10) onto your computer long enough to load the hacked IPCC again (if you haven't already). This will give you the option to enable MMS and Tethering once again.

People are saying on here that all you have to do is contact AT&T and ask them to remove the mms opt-out codes, and Voila! it works.

Will call AT&T right now and ask them to do that for my account, and if it works after that I will update this post.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
ok, this is what i got so far...

i dont have a very good signal in my house (at&t, raising the bar right? lol)

anyway so i went outside and tried to send an MMS, and it worked! this is all prior to calling at&t!

upon trying to send another it failed...so i dialed 611..

for some reason it contacted t-mobile..lol, im assuming an issue with the ipcc i loaded? idk that was very odd.

now i did call att a while back and ask them to set mms provisioning and whatnot (prob around the time of beta 3)..so im thinking maybe its still active? being that im way too lazy right now to try and find the att number and 611 is dialing tmobile, i think i am going to begin a journey for another ipcc file.

pecuilar indeed.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
now when i call 611 it calls att..

wow..

what the ****?

lol

ive changed nothing.

Zildjian26

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
In theory this is quite easy.

Many of you have just been updating instead of doing a full restore, which has been preserving your hacked IPCC files from back in the day. I accidentally did a full restore on my iPhone when I loaded 3.0 GM onto it.

All you have to do is load the original Pre-Release version of iTunes 8.2 (8.2.0.10) onto your computer long enough to load the hacked IPCC again (if you haven't already). This will give you the option to enable MMS and Tethering once again.

I never had MMS working, don't really care about it, but I did get tethering to work with my 3G running the 3.0 beta via the ipcc trick. I did an Option-Update today to the 3.0 GM, and tethering still works.

I was theorizing about how to get tethering enabled on a phone that still has 2.2.1 after upgrading to 3.0 GM, and I think you've got it mostly right. IIRC, the last 3.0 beta 5 (and possibly beta 4, I don't remember) required the newer version of iTunes 8.2 which disables the ability to load ipcc files. I think you would need to load the first dev beta of iTunes 8.2, install 3.0 beta 3 (possibly beta 4 would work as well), apply the ipcc update, then install the release version of iTunes 8.2, and do an Option-Update to 3.0 GM.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Weird, I have the release of iTunes 8.2 off the Apple site and I uploaded an ipcc file right through the update option.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Weird, I have the release of iTunes 8.2 off the Apple site and I uploaded an ipcc file right through the update option.

you sure you dont mean "ipsw" file?

i can option click on the official release of itunes 8.2 but the ipcc file is grayed out..

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I never had MMS working, don't really care about it, but I did get tethering to work with my 3G running the 3.0 beta via the ipcc trick. I did an Option-Update today to the 3.0 GM, and tethering still works.

I was theorizing about how to get tethering enabled on a phone that still has 2.2.1 after upgrading to 3.0 GM, and I think you've got it mostly right. IIRC, the last 3.0 beta 5 (and possibly beta 4, I don't remember) required the newer version of iTunes 8.2 which disables the ability to load ipcc files. I think you would need to load the first dev beta of iTunes 8.2, install 3.0 beta 3 (possibly beta 4 would work as well), apply the ipcc update, then install the release version of iTunes 8.2, and do an Option-Update to 3.0 GM.

well the thing is the pre release of itunes still activates iphone 3.0 gm..
technically you really dont even need to have the official 8.2 on your computer..

i mean it is a little more stable than the PR version, but hey, you can ipcc all day with it..

Elementkng20

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
I'm confused. I downloaded the final build but I dont have the camera icon for MMS on the "messages" app. Do I have the correct build? 7A341? And I have the IPCC file. How do I go about doing this? I run windows if it matters.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I'm confused. I downloaded the final build but I dont have the camera icon for MMS on the "messages" app. Do I have the correct build? 7A341? And I have the IPCC file. How do I go about doing this? I run windows if it matters.

if your on att, mms does not show up without an unmodified ipcc. If your on windows, you are going to need the PR version of itunes (8.2.0.10) so that you can update the carrier settings file (ipcc). After you do that, your mms menu/camera in messages app will show.

Zildjian26

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
well the thing is the pre release of itunes still activates iphone 3.0 gm.

Are you sure about that?

technically you really dont even need to have the official 8.2 on your computer.

If you want to sync your phone to get any content on it, you'll need the final build of 8.2 (or at least the newer beta build that disables ipcc updates). I plugged my 3.0 beta 5 phone into a Mac running the first pre-release 8.2 iTunes, and it tells you that you need a newer version of iTunes to work with the iPhone. I believe the second pre-release of iTunes 8.2 works with 3.0 beta 5, and possibly 3.0 GM, but using it defeats the goal of being able to update with ipcc files. I'm assuming that 3.0 GM is like beta 5 and will only work with the new iTunes that disable ipcc updates, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

hhll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Are you sure about that?

If you want to sync your phone to get any content on it, you'll need the final build of 8.2 (or at least the newer beta build that disables ipcc updates). I plugged my 3.0 beta 5 phone into a Mac running the first pre-release 8.2 iTunes, and it tells you that you need a newer version of iTunes to work with the iPhone. I believe the second pre-release of iTunes 8.2 works with 3.0 beta 5, and possibly 3.0 GM, but using it defeats the goal of being able to update with ipcc files. I'm assuming that 3.0 GM is like beta 5 and will only work with the new iTunes that disable ipcc updates, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

^that's odd.

it worked for me.
in fact im using it right now to load music onto my iPhone..

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
mms working on beta 5. gm test next

ok so i loaded first itunes 8.2 beta on mac. reinstall carrier file then reset device. im on beta 5 still and mms works also tethering as im using now to use net. i will install gm 3.0 in 20 min and see if mms still works. :cool:

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
can someone explain what the IPCC is? im confused, just installed the 3.0 IPSW file but i do not have the option to enable MMS, im on a mac 10.5.7.

plz point me in the right direction

Spidesol

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hey every i didnt have the camera icon for mms but after i put these settings in i got it to work! This is for at&t go to settings, general, network, cellular data network, and use these MMS settings

APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: CINGULAR1
MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 122

kb9tfh

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Can someone post a link for the old beta version of itunes... I have the latest one :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.