How To Exchange iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JudgeKenny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JudgeKenny macrumors member

My boss's wife unexpectedly gave me a 32GB iPad that she had pre-ordered. Would it be possible for me to go to my local Apple Store and exchange it for an LTE version if I pay the difference for the upgrade? If I return this iPad that she bought and gave me as a gift, would they give me a store credit of sorts, or somehow allow me to trade it and pay the additional cost?

Needless to say, I am extremely appreciative of the super generous gesture and it's not like I'm going to say, "Thanks for the $600 gift but it's not enough, can you please take it back and give me a more expensive model?" Even if I offered to pay the price difference I think that would make me look like such an ungrateful person and that's not what I want her or my boss to think of me. I just know I would take advantage of the LTE and it's not every day I get a chance to have a free iPad and the $129 difference is something I can afford.

Any ideas? Thanks.

~Katie~

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I would be concerned about possibly offending the boss's wife, and in turn, the boss. I think I'd just keep the one I was given.

That's pretty amazing, by the way.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

If the Apple store has what you want in stock, they'll most likely accomodate you as you are still within the two week return period.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You should never examine the teeth of a horse that you've been given as a gift.

5. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

i'd exchange it. how is the boss's wife possibly going to find out that it was exchanged anyway? if she asks in the future about it, just say "I'm really enjoying the ipad that you gave me" and graciously thank them again.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

As long as its unopened, they'll probably give you store credit.

7. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Beats me. I have no idea about their relationship, but I'm guessing it's a little bit more involved than the standard "boss's wife / husband's employee" relationship. Sounds like they may be friends, do lunch, that sort of thing. The fact that OP is feeling pretty uneasy about doing the exchange is a big clue that maybe it's not a good idea.

9. gregruns macrumors member

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Just do the exchange, get the same color. Giftgiver will never know you upgraded. Just don't tell anyone, period.

11. JudgeKenny thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

My boss's wife has actually been a friend of my family for many years and it was through her that I got my current job at her husband's company, so I can assure you there's nothing going on, as some have jokingly suggested.

I did open the iPad as soon as she gave it to me and, after having used it for the last 2 days, I realized that I'm out-and-about enough to justify having the LTE feature. I just don't know what is Apple's policy on returns/exchanges in a situation like this, where it was given to me as a gift.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your other option is to sell that iPad on craigslist or ebay and buy the one you want. I'm sure you'll get near the purchase price at this point. However, just call Apple and find out if you can do a swap. My guess is that the complicating factor here is that you do not hold the receipt and to swap it for a different model may mean that the original would need to be credited back to her account and the new one repurchased.

13. JudgeKenny thread starter macrumors member

I just called Apple and explained my situation. The gentleman on the phone had me verify the billing name & address and said he would email me an invoice. I can go to my local Apple Store with this invoice and they're supposed to be able to assist me with the exchange as long as I'm willing to pay the difference and provide my photo ID.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That's great--and good to know actually! I think the LTE model is the way to go also. Enjoy.

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

LOL LOL LOL LOL :D

Atleast you can exchange it! Have fun with the new iPad!!

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You can exchange it in the Apple store and just pay the difference. The transaction is connected to the serial number. It will be momentarily "returned" thus creating a store credit and then you will purchase the new iPad and the store credit will be applied and you will need to pay the difference. This is all done on the same transaction. I just did this past weekend when I did an exchange, the genius explained it to me so I would understand the transactions that would be posted to my bank account. He said, none would be for the original sale or this following transaction, unless I use the same card to pay the difference.

There is something that I didn't know that I found out when I logged in to my Apple Store online account that may give you a problem. When you return/exchange it, it actually reflects this on the online order history. So, the giver will know you exchanged it if they looked at their order history online.

[​IMG]