Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narnius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Hi all,
After doing some typing on the new Macbook pro, i find the keyboard is still not to my liking.

However I do think it can be housebroken, by simply adding a flat layer of silicone on top of the keyboard. Here is why...

According to my girlfriend who is a physical therapist who deals with repetitive stress injuries, the problem with chiclet keyboards is twofold:
  1. The click at the start of the keypress harms the tendons of the forearm.
  2. When the key hits bottom in a hard way, i.e. there's no cushion at the bottom to soften the impact, that too harms the tendons.
The solution as i see it would be to add a layer of silicone above keys that absorbs the impact when the finger hit the keys, and suppresses the impact of the key hitting bottom.

But not necessarily a silicone cover like you see on Amazon, because those are not flat, and their key shapes add to the amount of force that's required to press down each key.

It's like when people stand all day, they wear gel insoles. Same idea: silicone over the keys should lessen the harm to the typist.

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Probably not, due to the low clearance between the keyboard and screen. Apple recommends not even keeping the thin sheet of paper in there after unboxing the laptop. Using a silicone cover would mean removing it whenever you wanted to close the lid and that's hardly user-friendly. I doubt anyone would want to try and sell such a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.