Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I think you may be referring to GSP Tracker.

Deciding whether to get the touch or the phone goes way deeper than the GPS receiver. You have to realize that no matter how good Skype is the average cell phone buyer isn't going to want to drive around looking for open wifi hotspots to call home about dinner. Although a service like Skype would be a nice addition to the ipod touch it just isn't going be a deciding factor for the vast majority of buyers. (when deciding between the phone or touch)

Just about everyone I know owns a cell phone but I can't imagine even one of them give up their cell phone for a skype enabled device no matter how much it'll save them.

I agree- Prepaid cell phone (I like T-Mobile) + iPod Touch + Skype is the way to go. When you need to make a call you know will be long, you can wait for Wi-Fi and use Skype on the Touch, but you can still make those 1 minute calls back home.

However, I heard about a guy (yeah, yeah, I know) who was able to get a setup working where he had a SIM on a contract for unlimited data for only for $20 a month hooked up to something he built into his car (probably a cheap laptop). Whatever the SIM was in, he was able to utilize the cellular provider's internet with it and broadcast the connection though a Wi-FI network (yeah, in his car).

If you could wrap your head around that one, you just might have a dealbreaker for getting the Touch to use as a cell phone, because you could simply go to the Wi-Fi point in your car when you need to make a VoIP call on your iPod Touch.

Obviously that setup isn't practical for most people (not me! :D), but for those who are willing to go through the trouble to save a few bucks, well... it sounds like an interesting possibility at the very least... :p

iBeijing

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
That's just the START!

Don't let anyone tell you this post is worthless, it almost made me cry tears of JOY! I have been searching all over the app store for a place to test out the microphone (not quite sure what people are talking about steve not mentioning the microphone, I watched the entire KeyNote, and I am almost certain he said the iPod Touch would be supported when he unveiled the new headphones)

Anyways, thanks for finding that program! Now I can go to 中关村 (Zhong Guan Cun) here in Beijing and pick up a nice chinese mic headset for $2 :)

And check this out. Not only does it have Mic support, it has a :D BLUETOOTH :D chip I can't wait til they open that up for more than just the Nike+ App

http://www.touchpodium.com/2008/09/...uetooth-21edr-chip-inside-microphone-support/

nathandublya

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
However, I heard about a guy (yeah, yeah, I know) who was able to get a setup working where he had a SIM on a contract for unlimited data for only for $20 a month hooked up to something he built into his car (probably a cheap laptop). Whatever the SIM was in, he was able to utilize the cellular provider's internet with it and broadcast the connection though a Wi-FI network (yeah, in his car).

If you could wrap your head around that one, you just might have a dealbreaker for getting the Touch to use as a cell phone, because you could simply go to the Wi-Fi point in your car when you need to make a VoIP call on your iPod Touch.

Obviously that setup isn't practical for most people (not me! :D), but for those who are willing to go through the trouble to save a few bucks, well... it sounds like an interesting possibility at the very least... :p

There is an application you can install on certain Nokia Models (from memory the N95 was one of them) that have inbuilt wireless that sort of turn them into an access point so u can use your mobiles data connection on your ipod touch. I dont believe you need to jail break your ipod touch either. I cant for the life of me remember what its called. Just google it. :)

ToK16

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
I've got an IpodTouch 1G and I'dlike to use skype on it...I've read in this topic about some dock connector that I can use as in-line supply...Could anyone suggest me any of these?? I can't find them anywhere!

iMac-G5-Ranger

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Griffin Tune Buds mobile for iphone

A little late but,

The Griffin TuneBuds mobile for iphone works with Palringmo and iChat on my 2nd Generation ipod Touch 16 gig. It works fine using AIM. The sound quality is really good compared to the regular ipod ear buds. I can see using this combination to keep in contact with the family while on the road. You record as shown in the video and it sends automatically to your contact. The file shows on their end as a link and when clicked plays the file. The delay is only maybe 2-3 seconds depending on size of the file so not bad at all.

I picked them up at futureshop and we tested it right there before I bought em. The guy in the cell phone department was really surprised it worked and got a good laugh out of it.

Thanks for the info. Saved about $45 from buying the Apple version.

liferules

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Now if we could just get a good recording program that allows you to record memos and get them off the touch onto a computer...

iMac-G5-Ranger

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
On Palringo make yourself a new iChat account. Run iChat with auto accept on your Mac under your original account (or PC with AIM). Send memo from ipod touch to Mac. It's in link form. You can save ichat logs in ichat settings so that should hold the memo for you. You could write an apple script that would store it in an email or file folder. Lots of work ... wait til apple releases their version of the headset/mic in the next couple of months and they will turn off the feature on a lot of the iphone recording apps that dont allow you to use them with your touch.

nathandublya

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Umm why not just use Fring? It's free has VOIP and other people have already proved it works with Mics......

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Umm why not just use Fring? It's free has VOIP and other people have already proved it works with Mics......

Yeah, that's what I use now: Fring w/my Skype account.

Unless you need to send audio during an IM that feature is pretty much obsolete now. After all, there are a TON of voice recorders for the new iPod Touch now, and most allow you to E-mail the audio file to other people with a single tap.

liferules

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
there are a TON of voice recorders for the new iPod Touch now, and most allow you to E-mail the audio file to other people with a single tap.

Unfortunately, I have to say I have yet to find a good voice recorder that emails well off the touch. The iProRecorder is terrible at best, freezing most of the time prior to completing the email (assuming you are under the 10 MB cutoff). Griffin iTalk only will allow recordings off the touch if using a mac (the software required is not yet available for windows). Recorder does an odd wifi link with the router to create a link on an intranet page (not easy to do if you are not at home)...

So for me, there are yet no good options for voice recorders. I have the highest hope for the Griffin one once they get windows compatible software...

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, that's what I use now: Fring w/my Skype account.

Do you use the subscription service (2.95$/month-usa/canada) or Skypeout?
If using the subscription, does the voicemail and phone # (for incoming calls) work well with Fring? If it does, thats it, no more cell phones for me...:cool:
Txs,

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Do you use the subscription service (2.95$/month-usa/canada) or Skypeout?
If using the subscription, does the voicemail and phone # (for incoming calls) work well with Fring? If it does, thats it, no more cell phones for me...:cool:
Txs,

I don't have the subscription, but my cousin does. He can receive calls fine, although I have no idea about voicemail.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I don't have the subscription, but my cousin does. He can receive calls fine, although I have no idea about voicemail.

ok... So far, skype to skype works fine and is free. I also took the subscription and can make outgoing calls to any cell or landline for 2.95$ unlimited. Since
I havent found the proper headphones with mic, I can't comment on my voice quality but I could hear my my partner's voice fine and clear.

The issue of an incoming phone # (for people to call you at) and voice mail is still not clear. Am investigating...

goldleaf

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Do the dedicated microphones, like the Sony ECM DS30P, work with the 2G iPod Touch? I'm interested in recording class lectures, and all of the microphones I've seen being used so far are intended for use close to the mouth.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Do the dedicated microphones, like the Sony ECM DS30P, work with the 2G iPod Touch? I'm interested in recording class lectures, and all of the microphones I've seen being used so far are intended for use close to the mouth.

The Griffin iTalk may be a better option for you. LINK

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Would a Shure Music Phone adapter for an iPhone work? I really just want the button though.=, so if that doesn't work, the entire thing is essentially useless.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I believe the best way to go about this would be for Griffin to update their Italk pro to 2nd Touch specs. From what I read, the dock connector does'nt support audio in and the mic would have to connect via the headphone jack therefore cutting the speaker out. So were not out of the woods yet for a pseudo-iphone via the touch's wi-fi. Also, Fring is unstable (at least for me) and the delay incurred can only be avoided if Skype releases a native iphone mobile app, which they should do ASAP.

Once we get Skype native and a proper external mic, we're in business.

OnTheiTouch2G

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I can't believe I just read 6 pages and didn't see a single post (other than the OP) confirming or denying that this actually works.

Anybody?

No offense OP, but this would be a brilliant way to push your own app:p

liferules

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I can't believe I just read 6 pages and didn't see a single post (other than the OP) confirming or denying that this actually works.

Anybody?

No offense OP, but this would be a brilliant way to push your own app:p

Not sure what you are talking about as to the "pushing your own app"... I am not aware of the OP having an app... the thread is about using a microphone on the touch.

Yes, I have a phillips SHH1610 microphone and it works great. My only problem is getting the recordings OFF my touch. No software works well for users who work with a large wireless network (thus these local wifi transfers don't work)... Waiting for Griffin to get their windows solution finished...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.