HOW TO: Get Free Tethering Without Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deenybird, Jul 14, 2010.

1. deenybird macrumors regular

The website FunkySpaceMonkey has an article on how to get free tethering without jailbreaking.
    Here is the article link

Here's how it begins:

2. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Any devs out there willing to help a friend? PM me

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Wow it's not tethering but it is just as good p, I'll try it tomorrow

4. RR1818 macrumors member

Yeah, I'm also wondering if there are any devs here who would be willing to help others with this.

5. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

6. milerich macrumors regular

I second this. It would be much appreciated if someone who is willing to help would PM me about this.

Thanks!!

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Is it just me, or did anyone else find it entertaining to see the name of the network?

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

9. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

This is fantastic. Any devs willing to help? PM por favor!

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Don't know if any Dev's have helped anyone else out, but if you're out there shoot me a PM if you're willing to help out. :) Thank you

11. stackshady macrumors member

I've worked with xcode a lot and designed an app, but I never paid for a dev account. :(

12. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I am pretty sure there's a lot of iPhone devs out there who read this and are thinking about trying it out themselves tomorrow. :D

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well I had recently done a wipe of my macbook an had to install the latest sdk, when it came to compiling it wants the iphoneos3.1 which isn't included in latest xcode/sdk for iPhone..... set it to 4.1 and all is working

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well im interested. pm me if some of you devs are feeling generous:)

15. Vonswanko macrumors regular

Wow, pretty cool to see this on MacRumors since I wrote the post for FSM. I would be willing to help a couple of people by adding to my Dev account. Just shoot me a PM with your UDID and I'll compile the app and send with a provisioning profile.

16. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

This isn't for regular folks. It requires a $99 per year developer subscription from Apple to allow loading of coded apps to the iPhone.

17. tjtv macrumors newbie

This seems really cool, I'd love to try it out.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i cant figure out how to change the sdk from 3.1(thats what it is asking for) to 4.1. it says base sdk missing, so how would i change it

19. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Or jailbreak (now if you're on 3GS, or whenever it's available for iPhone 4) and pay $10 for MyWi.

Or steal the cracked version, if that's your flavor.

20. jrt67ss350 macrumors newbie

Any chance of anyone writing up a little step-by-step on how to do this? I've never used xcode but this would be worth the $99 developer registration to me (don't care to jailbreak).

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i can help to a certain point because im having some trouble. just download the file they ask and save it to your desktop, then unzip. once xcode is up go to file then open, go to the file u unzipped and when u go in there will be a file for an app (its blue and has the crossed pencils on it lol). but if u have the newest sdk then u have to change the sdk to 4.1 because it says "base sdk missing". i dont know how to change it to 4.1 but after that just build and go.

22. jalpert macrumors 6502

Looks like it's possible to tether to iPad using this, but certainly a pain. Also, if you have Netshare this does the exact same thing.

23. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't think it's possible to tether the iPad to the iPhone, even with iProxy or NetShare.

The problem lies in having to "create" a wireless network first. Only your Mac/PC can do it. The iPhone and iPad can only join an existing wireless network.

MyWi actually creates a wireless network ("hotspot," if you will).

Erica Sadun on TUAW posted an article a while back on how some developers are able to "re-sign" another person's application, so before iProxy was around, developers were supposedly grabbing someone else's NetShare purchase, resigning the app as their own, then making it able to launch on development devices.

I don't know if it's possible to do with MyWi, since there'd be some actual modification of the code involved.

I've never resigned anyone's app, and my iPad 3G's no longer jailbroken (don't have MyWi), so I'm not able to test these theories out.

But, restating what I said first, the iPad won't be able to connect natively to the iPhone's internet connection, even with AT&T's official tethering method.

24. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Tried to get this working for about 2 minutes, the iProxy app seems to keep crashing. I'll give it another shot later today...

Option click on the drop down box to select a different SDK. Or change the Base SDK in the project settings.

PM me if you have any problems, other than compiling with Xcode (which is very easy) the instructions are pretty clear.

25. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

doesn't let me it just says basic sdk missing, for both options