Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
This is not useful for iPad users, because you can't create an adhoc network from iPad. I tried to get source code for creating an adhoc network, but no luck. Creating an adhoc is not a that easy.

You can actually do it, it's just a pain.

You have to create the ad-hoc network with your laptop, and then connect the iPhone and iPad to the network.

SpankWare

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Why would you not just pay the money to tether the legit way if you're going to be paying money anyway....

I think the obvious answer is that $99/yr is cheaper than what AT&T charges for tethering. The added benefit of "Unlimited" data is a bonus.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
So has anyone used this tethering method for a period of time with no issues? I'd love to have tethering with my unlimited plan so contemplating spending the $99. Is it $99 or $99 plus tax and fees??

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
So has anyone used this tethering method for a period of time with no issues? I'd love to have tethering with my unlimited plan so contemplating spending the $99. Is it $99 or $99 plus tax and fees??

It's just $99 plus tax if there's an Apple Store in your state. No fees.

I'm going to try this out when I get home. This is great for those of us who are already developers. Doesn't even require a jailbreak!

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
It's just $99 plus tax if there's an Apple Store in your state. No fees.

I'm going to try this out when I get home. This is great for those of us who are already developers. Doesn't even require a jailbreak!

Thanks! I think I'm going to hold off and see how well it works for people that already have developers accounts before I spend $99. Wish I had some friends:( get 10 to chip in and it's just $10 a piece! Oh well!

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I am sooo at a loss with this I followed this guide and even when I copy the mobileprovision an .app file into iTunes I still get the below image. I have looked at IPCU and it says my device has the provisioning profile but when I look at the profile itself it has no attached devices..... I am sooo confused

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I am sooo at a loss with this I followed this guide and even when I copy the mobileprovision an .app file into iTunes I still get the below image. I have looked at IPCU and it says my device has the provisioning profile but when I look at the profile itself it has no attached devices..... I am sooo confused

In the first screenshot, the app and the profile identifier are blank. They need to match what the app was compiled with. Also, your device id must be on a developer account and attached to the provisioning file.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I'm a paid developer so my device is registered as you will see in screenshot it has the provision profile attached to the device but the profile loaded onto pc says it has no devices attached, I have an app ID in the profile when I created the provision so don't know whats happened, I followed the guide I linked to down to the last step.

EDIT: I installed via xcode the app runs but the IP details do not populate

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I'm a paid developer so my device is registered as you will see in screenshot it has the provision profile attached to the device but the profile loaded onto pc says it has no devices attached, I have an app ID in the profile when I created the provision so don't know whats happened, I followed the guide I linked to down to the last step.

EDIT: I installed via xcode the app runs but the IP details do not populate

Mine is working fine.

admin@mbsaeger.com

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I don't have the money to spend on the developers program so if there's any developers out there that wouldn't mind lending a helping hand I'd much appreciate it! Just send me a pm and I'll send you what you need. Thanks!

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry just again if any dev already has the app compiled and working and is willing to add me UDID I'll send it over. Thanks!!!

Alan

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I am having problems getting it configured. I follow the steps, I do everything coreectly, but then at the end it won't assign the IP address from my phone to the computer. Any ideas?

Nevermind I got it working! Woo!

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
At $99 I'm seriously considering buying into the developer program. What would be neat is if we could get a little community going where people post code that "developers" can then compile for themselves. Essentially, this could enable people to have the functionality of a jailbroken phone without the hassle of jailbreaking.

Edit: Is there any way to add backgrounding to iProxy? Imagine how awesome that'd be. It already works wonderfully.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Yes sir it WORKS!!! And it is EASY!! I had tethering before with the ipcc profile hack and let me tell you this is just as easy. After you have it set up enabling "tethering" is as easy as 1, 2, 3:

1. From Airport drop dow, click on Create Network..

2. Go to Network setting and switch your Location from Automatic to iProxy which you created.

3. Go to iPhone and makes it point to your computer instead of the router.

and THAT'S IT!!!

I had to download the latest SDK for 4.0.1 though but once I did that overnight installing the app on my iPhone 4 is a snap.

Just ONE BAD THING, which is that Mail does not work as I use gmail as my mail server and it is using some strange port that is not being handled by the iProxy. I might want to look into the code! Also, iProxy does not work int he background.. wtf?? But what it means is you might not want to have a long download going if you need to use your iPhone occasionally. In any case, it works well enough with Safari and iTunes and I am definitely pleased!

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
BTW, I wrote the last post on my MacBook Pro "tethering" to my iPhone 4 over 3G!

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
Can someone post a detailed step by step on how to do this?? I got a developer account a while back just in case I wanted to give App Development a shot, but I never used it till now and I am lost.

Also so if I get this tethering done, my Mail application will not work?? Has that happened to everyone??

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
At $99 I'm seriously considering buying into the developer program. What would be neat is if we could get a little community going where people post code that "developers" can then compile for themselves. Essentially, this could enable people to have the functionality of a jailbroken phone without the hassle of jailbreaking.

Edit: Is there any way to add backgrounding to iProxy? Imagine how awesome that'd be. It already works wonderfully.

It is ILLEGAL for actual code to be put out for use. I had a developer account and there is fine print that forces you not to. That's why you don't see more than 50 camera editing apps, because if EVERYONE knew how to do a simple change of color, it'd bog down the whole app store with those colors.

But hey, if people want to help me out with $10, I'd open a shared account for all of us to use. You just have to remember that there's a TOS and that you can screw it up for everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.