How to Keep Contacts, Etc once New Phone Arrives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashley1496, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ashley1496 macrumors regular

Hello all! I'm a current 3G owner. I've never upgraded since my 3G and I'm wondering how it works when you get a new phone. Since I'll have a new SIM how do I put all my contacts into the new phone? Should I "restore a back-up" or is that bad cause of older software on the 3G. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

2. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

1. back-up your 3G before you get your new iphone 4 via itunes

2. When you plug iPhone 4 into itunes it will ask you to restore to backup of XXXXXXXXX's iPhone 3G

3. Your good to go

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

This will work, but some will advise against it.

Why? Because sometimes it's good for the phone to have a fresh start. All you need to do is make sure your contacts are synced in iTunes with your current 3G. Then when you plug in your new iPhone 4, simply sync the phone to include the contacts. It's that simple.

4. ashley1496 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your helpful replies! Sometimes it's hard to ask a question on here without getting stones thrown!

5. slsl0 macrumors member

What I always do is sync my contacts to my gmail if you have one.

6. CJayC macrumors 6502

7. DJ ReFRESH macrumors member

Can you please elaborate? Is this along the lines of having corrupt/tainted data/apps/files on the old phone that could possibly be passed onto the new phone?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's to get rid of all the extra crap that may be making your iPhone less snappy.

9. jsnmao macrumors newbie

no one has talked about SMS yet, how do you set up as new but also sync over SMS?

10. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I would also like to know this.

11. fuzion macrumors 6502

I'll sync my 3G to update any remaining contact list changes.. then do a fresh sync with my iP4.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Question about that:

When I sync & have different contacts in GMail & my iPhone, which one takes precedence?

For instance, if they are already sync'd -- so mirror images -- and I delete a contact in GMail will it be deleted off my iPhone the next time I sync them?

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

If you're using Exchange it keeps track of 'last modified' dates and will simply keep the newest entry. As soon as something is modified on either your phone or Gmail it will mirror to the other device.

14. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

If you do this...how do you get your apps that you've purchased back??

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You just manually select them to be synced to the device. There's an 'Apps' tab when you plug in your iPhone. You can select which applications you want and you can organize them right there before syncing.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't. Either restore from a backup or get some third party software to do it (but it probably won't work for iPhone 4).

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

If you don't have a Mac, you will need a contacts manager... I use Yahoo, some use exchange, but as far as I know, Apple products won't sync with the stock contacts/address book in Windows. So if you set your phone up as a new phone, you'll lose the contacts unless you've synced them to something else.

You will also lose all of your app data. Not the apps themselves, but the data within them.

As mentioned, text messages will not be saved either. You should still have your original iPhone/3G/3GS saved in your backups in case you do want to get them back, so all is not lost. Just be advised that setting up as a new phone will cause you to lose a LOT of data, depending on how much you have on your phone, and your only options will be to live with it or to restore again from your previous phone's backup.

18. AK10R macrumors regular

I run Widow XP ( ya I know that is soooo 2005). I have a 2G. I noticed that the few times I have backed up my 2G the contacts sync with outlook. As I recall the contacts from my phone are now in outlook.

If I do a fresh install on the 4, then I sync contacts with outlook I should have all my contacts. Does that sound correct?

One question I have about the apps. I have two apps on my 2G and not in iTunes. I bought the two apps from iTunes via the phone. What is a good way to get the apps to my new phone?

19. tikitommy macrumors regular

Thank god for MobileMe. One of the best things about it.
    Over the air contact, note, calendar synching.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yes, if your contacts are in outlook, you should be able to safely restore your phone and re-sync your contacts from outlook.

To get the apps from your phone into iTunes, plug your iPhone in and when it shows up on the left in iTunes, right-click it and select "Transfer Purchases". You may also get a warning from iTunes that you have content on your phone that is not in iTunes, and iTunes will ask if you want to transfer them over.

21. AK10R macrumors regular

I will do that..... Thanks

22. ashley1496 thread starter macrumors regular

A Dare? I don't even know what that is...and I don't know you either! LOL :confused:

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm just using Gmail on the web.

24. martin1000 macrumors regular

Will it restore the old version of the software on the new phone? My 3g does not have iOS4.

Thank you.

25. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I wanted to thank you for the apps info. I did a backup and this was the only thing that did not restore to my new phone.