Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
I'm on 17.3.1 and did a search to find this old thread.
....Lo and behold, Lock Screen is no longer available. I may be behind the curve on this topic but posting this to help others stumbling in ...

Reactions: PatrixUSA

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
It isn’t. Your device passcode becomes the password for your Apple ID when you add the Apple ID to your device. It’s called a passkey.
Exactly. That is the problem. Thankfully Apple closed the loop a bit with the latest security updates (Stolen Device Protection) which allows users to choose to slow someone with the passcode from changing other stuff for a day ish if the phone is not in a familiar location.

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
....Lo and behold, Lock Screen is no longer available. I may be behind the curve on this topic but posting this to help others stumbling in ...
The better solution for prevention of total theft is now Stolen Device Protection in 17.3.

Would still be nice to have passcodes as an OPTION for individual apps at the OS level, instead of relying on developers to add it to their own apps, since some developers never still make that an option.

PatrixUSA

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2023
Thanks for posting... curious why apple choose to remove the lock screen action from the automation choices in the Shortcuts app for iOS 17.3.1+? sneaky little tweak... I would have thought apple would add the ability to apply the lock screen action to the Shortcuts app instead of removing the action for all apps entirely. strange ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

whatdoesitmean

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
It is still available. Follow the instructions until you start searching for “Lock Screen”. You will have to create a “new blank automation” first then search for and select “Lock Screen”. Then press done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.