Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, works perfect! I'm watching movies now. The quality is great on WIFI for me. The Netflix icon is a pain though. I changed it to 114x114 but it still has the square shape. I would have loved if the iPhone screen was bigger than 3.5" though. :(

Edit: I hid the netflix app, changed the Perfect Browser icon to the Netflix one (retina icon) and used netflix as the homepage for Perfect Browser. :) Looks and works great now.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Hmmm do I want to try this or not..:confused:

I don't have a Netflix account but was debating on NetFlix or Hulu+ still haven't got an invite for Hulu.

I was wanting to wait till the official NetFlix app was released before trying it out but it seems like you guys are having good luck with it.

I just hate spending $1.99 on Perfect Browser yeah yeah I know cheap and then all of a sudden Netflix puts the real iPhone App up for free.

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN

I don't have a Netflix account but was debating on NetFlix or Hulu+ still haven't got an invite for Hulu.

I was wanting to wait till the official NetFlix app was released before trying it out but it seems like you guys are having good luck with it.

I just hate spending $1.99 on Perfect Browser yeah yeah I know cheap and then all of a sudden Netflix puts the real iPhone App up for free.

i like netflix for movies at home, id love to have hulu for tv shows on the go. BUT im not paying $10 for the hulu app

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Well, you could get it for free, hmm. :)

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah the price on hulu is a turn off and netflix does offer later movies, not sure they offer the tv shows I'd like to se

The curiosity in me is about to kill the cat hahah and get me to try this. I guess I could try netflix with this hack and just be out of $2.00

ETA: I'm not really interested in the DVD rental part though. I rather just run down to RebBox and use one of the free promo codes i'm not a big dvd renter. I'll normally buy the BluRay if it's a movie I know I'll watch over and over, like IronMan

I want something for those sleepless nites I have or while at work, queue up something and put on my headphones and listen to a show while I work, with the quick glance ever so often :)

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Well, you could get it for free, hmm. :)

LOL I won't lie the thought of doing just that did cross my mind but it's just $2 I think I'll splurge and get it.

I'll be honest I had both paid and no paid apps on my 3G. I'm trying to stay more on the good side this time around.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Try PlayOn. You download it on your PC and then through Safari on your iPhone type "m.playon.tv". There is a 14 day free trial for PlayOn through your PC. I have the old version of it and I'm trying to get it to work on my phone. The new version you pay a subscription, and you can watch on your iPhone: Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, MLB.tv, and YouTube and more.

Okay, I just downloaded the free 14 day trial version, and it will let you bring up Netflix etc. on your phone so it works!!

The older version you don't have to pay a monthly fee for, I will check later to see if it will bring up netflix also. It was only a one time 14.99 fee for me.

damixt

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I have also got this working. At first it was not working and while I was troubleshooting I deleted netflix from my phone through ssh and reinstalled it and after that it worked for me so those of you that cannot get it to work should try that. Also while i am playing a video file, mine will cut out and open safari. It will go to a netflix page and have a message saying that my browser is not capable to streaming. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what is the fix for it?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
will this work on an iphone 3G? i just gave it to my son and it only works on wifi. he loves Dora and i have a few seasons of cartoons in the instant queue

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I have also got this working. At first it was not working and while I was troubleshooting I deleted netflix from my phone through ssh and reinstalled it and after that it worked for me so those of you that cannot get it to work should try that. Also while i am playing a video file, mine will cut out and open safari. It will go to a netflix page and have a message saying that my browser is not capable to streaming. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what is the fix for it?

Yeah I'm having that problem too. It would load and then crash Right now it's stream 2012 so far. I'm waiting for it to kick me back out to. If I click on something like the volume it kicks me back out also

ETA: damixt I rebooted my ihone again and it seems to be acting right now. Doesn't drop me out when i touch the screen. Had a phone call and got dropped but then went back into the Perfect Browser and the movie started back were I left off. Try doing a full reboot

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Wow, works perfect! I'm watching movies now. The quality is great on WIFI for me. The Netflix icon is a pain though. I changed it to 114x114 but it still has the square shape. I would have loved if the iPhone screen was bigger than 3.5" though. :(

Edit: I hid the netflix app, changed the Perfect Browser icon to the Netflix one (retina icon) and used netflix as the homepage for Perfect Browser. :) Looks and works great now.

Exactly where is the Perfect Browser folder? I'm guessing you copied over the icon.png file. I don't see Perfect Browser under Applications, is it located someplace else

ETA:Found it but it still wasn't in the Application folder...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Has anyone tried using the new "User Agent Faker" (not "UserAgent Faker") in the BigBoss repo? I used it on my 3GS with the iPad user agent string and Netflix has worked perfectly. It's supposed to work on iPhone 4 and in all applications. Be sure you get the one with the space, and that you've uninstalled "UserAgent Faker" before you try to install "User Agent Faker."

If it works, you won't have to install Perfect Browser.

will this work on an iphone 3G? i just gave it to my son and it only works on wifi. he loves Dora and i have a few seasons of cartoons in the instant queue

It should.

The Netflix icon is a pain though. I changed it to 114x114 but it still has the square shape.

It bothered me too, so I used an old trick I learned and uploaded it as "apple-touch-icon.png" to my web site and saved a webclip of the page. iOS fixes it all up nice and pretty for ya. I used SBSettings to hide the Netflix app itself, made a webclip of my instant cue on Netflix, and moved the icon to that webclip. All better.

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,139

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
Has anyone tried using the new "User Agent Faker" (not "UserAgent Faker") in the BigBoss repo? I used it on my 3GS with the iPad user agent string and Netflix has worked perfectly. It's supposed to work on iPhone 4 and in all applications. Be sure you get the one with the space, and that you've uninstalled "UserAgent Faker" before you try to install "User Agent Faker."

If it works, you won't have to install Perfect Browser.

It should.

It bothered me too, so I used an old trick I learned and uploaded it as "apple-touch-icon.png" to my web site and saved a webclip of the page. iOS fixes it all up nice and pretty for ya. I used SBSettings to hide the Netflix app itself, made a webclip of my instant cue on Netflix, and moved the icon to that webclip. All better.

Can you make a tutorial on how to use Netflix app without perfect browser?

Thanks

Ethan.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well I tried again today and still cannot get this to work. :mad:

Has anybody gotten this to work using DiskAid? That's what I'm using to copy the Netflix.app folder in.

I've tried this now about 5-6 times. Each time I do it, I get to this page and then it just closes all together.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    180 KB · Views: 79

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Good Lord! I finally figured it out!

I'm SUCH an idiot. I kept making the same mistake over and over and over.

Turns out the way I was zipping the file, SSH'ing into the phone (via DiskAid), and all that was fine.

My problem was changing the permissions in iFile

I wasn't drilling "down" far enough. I was going to /private/var/stash/Applications/Netflix.app

Rather than going all the way down to /private/var/stash/Applications/Netflix.app/Netflix

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So far after my reboot it's been working great. Takes it a second to get loaded though but I guess that's normal
Made me Icon for it also and it fits pretty good and looks nice on my screen. 114x

ETA I just saw thelatinist posted an icon also, didn't mean to step on any toes.
The only gripe now is that when you exits you have to close Safari down but not that big of a deal

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 293

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Can you make a tutorial on how to use Netflix app without perfect browser?

What I did was the following:

1) Open iTunes, download the Netflix app for iPad.
2) Drag and drop Netflix from iTunes onto the desktop.
3) Rename the file Netflix.ipa as Netflix.zip.
4) Extract the archive.
5) Locate the file /Netflix/Payload/Netflix.app
6) Upload Netflix.app to /var/stash/Applications on your iPhone.
7) Recursively change the permissions for Netflix.app. I used iFile. You can also SSH into your phone and use the following command:
Code:
login root  [note: you will be asked for your root password]
chmod -R 755 /var/stash/Applications/Netflix.app
8) Open Cydia and install User Agent Faker [note: not UserAgent Faker; they are two different packages. If you have UserAgent Faker installed, uninstall before installing User Agent Faker]
9) Open Settings > User Agent Faker and replace the string in the User Agent field with exactly the following (I emailed the string to myself and copy-pasted it):
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10
10) Close settings, reboot.
11) Open MobileSafari, login to Netflix, find a movie, and press "Play."

This is what should happen when you press "Play":

1) A webpage saying "You're almost ready to watch [Movie Name]" will open.
2) After about a second, Safari will minimize.
3) Netflix will open and display the Netflix logo.
4) A progress notice will appear saying "preparing..."
5) Your movie will open in QuickTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.