Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ainjo1919

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
What I did was the following:

1) Open iTunes, download the Netflix app for iPad.
2) Drag and drop Netflix from iTunes onto the desktop.
3) Rename the file Netflix.ipa as Netflix.zip.
4) Extract the archive.
5) Locate the file /Netflix/Payload/Netflix.app
6) Upload Netflix.app to /var/stash/Applications on your iPhone.
7) Recursively change the permissions for Netflix.app. I used iFile. You can also SSH into your phone and use the following command:
Code:
login root  [note: you will be asked for your root password]
chmod -R 755 /var/stash/Applications/Netflix.app
8) Open Cydia and install User Agent Faker [note: not UserAgent Faker; they are two different packages. If you have UserAgent Faker installed, uninstall before installing User Agent Faker]
9) Open Settings > User Agent Faker and replace the string in the User Agent field with exactly the following (I emailed the string to myself and copy-pasted it):
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10
10) Close settings, reboot.
11) Open MobileSafari, login to Netflix, find a movie, and press "Play."

This is what should happen when you press "Play":

1) A webpage saying "You're almost ready to watch [Movie Name]" will open.
2) After about a second, Safari will minimize.
3) Netflix will open and display the Netflix logo.
4) A progress notice will appear saying "preparing..."
5) Your movie will open in QuickTime.

Wow, this worked on my iPhone 4 =) Thanks! But now instead of safari opening up after exiting the Netflix movie, the App Store opened and redirected me to the Netflix iPad app download, which said it wasn't available for iPhone. No biggie at all, at least I won't have to use Perfect Broswer. Thanks!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I like Syk's icon. I had the regular N one, but I prefer the Netflix one.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Wow, this worked on my iPhone 4 =) Thanks! But now instead of safari opening up after exiting the Netflix movie, the App Store opened and redirected me to the Netflix iPad app download, which said it wasn't available for iPhone. No biggie at all, at least I won't have to use Perfect Broswer. Thanks!

Strange. On mine it takes me right back to where I left off in Safari.

tekm

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
CA
Netflix through Safari works fine if you install User Agent Faker and input this string: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10

I had to reboot the phone once however before it actually worked for me. Before rebooting the user agent didn't change even after I inputted the new one.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Netflix through Safari works fine if you install User Agent Faker and input this string: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10

I had to reboot the phone once however before it actually worked for me.

Thanks for the confirmation. And the reboot was listed in step 10 of my instructions. ;)

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
ARGH...... Stupid Netflix.... I cant get it past the "preparing....."

Forget it, I will just watch my SlingBox.......

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
How do you use User Agent Faker? I installed it but can't seem to find it.

Edit: Nevermind, haha..

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
OK, I got it. It just takes a while to load the buffer. Thanks Everybody....

Does any one know where to find the "any" key????

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
When I sync with iTunes should I turn off fake user agent? And will iTunes remove netflix.app because it's on an iPhone?

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I just watched ten minutes of a movie over 3G. I don't know how much is held in the buffer, but in those ten minutes I received 32 MB and sent less than one. That extrapolates to about 295 MB for 90 minutes.

On my ps3, netflix adjusts the video quality based upon the speed of your connection. I would assume it does the same in the iPad app, but I'm not sure.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
On my ps3, netflix adjusts the video quality based upon the speed of your connection. I would assume it does the same in the iPad app, but I'm not sure.

Yes, they said in the keynote that it would. Something about Apple's "adaptive bitrate technology" or some such. It's not the Netflix app that actually plays the video, though, it's QuickTime; pretty sure that Netflix.app just handles the DRM.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Looks like I have something to play with tomorrow. Going to try Latin's step by step and get this going. Of course, it will pale in comparison to Netflix on my iPad. But that's hardly the point ;)

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
No it's just as good or better as iPad in quality, the GUI is a bit rough. I have Netflix as a bookmark on my home screen to get it going.

anthony10292

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Got it to work on my iPhone 4. Now I'm trying it on my friends 3GS its not working. I have tried both methods. I think the problem is with the Netflix app. When I play a video, the Netflix app opens but closes immediatley after and the video doesnt load. On my iPhone4, the netflix app opens then the video loads in quicktime. I have gone through each method twice with no success. Any advice? Oh, and the 3GS is 4.0, does it need to be 4.0.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.