Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
All the information and tips here are great, but honestly, the most unnerving part of the pre-order process is getting logged onto the Apple Store app/website. My experience, after ordering an iPhone every year since the 3GS, has been that at 12:01AM, the site is still down! You then force quit the app, or refresh the web page, franticly hoping to get on. Seconds will pass and then minutes. Some years it has taken me almost 8 minutes before gaining access. Then once your order is placed, you come back to the MacRumors site to view the Pre-Order threads, only to see people with email conformations 1 or 2 minutes after midnight. A few might even claim to have placed their order several minutes before midnight via a carrier website. However, all that will really matter to any-tried-and-true Apple fan is getting it on launch day. It's still definitely a stressful few minutes, fraught with second guessing. Good luck everyone.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
All the information and tips here are great, but honestly, the most unnerving part of the pre-order process is getting logged onto the Apple Store app/website. My experience, after ordering an iPhone every year since the 3GS, has been that at 12:01AM, the site is still down! You then force quit the app, or refresh the web page, franticly hoping to get on. Seconds will pass and then minutes. Some years it has taken me almost 8 minutes before gaining access. Then once your order is placed, you come back to the MacRumors site to view the Pre-Order threads, only to see people with email conformations 1 or 2 minutes after midnight. A few might even claim to have placed their order several minutes before midnight via a carrier website. However, all that will really matter to any-tried-and-true Apple fan is getting it on launch day. It's still definitely a stressful few minutes, fraught with second guessing. Good luck everyone.

This. One hundred percent, this!

There was a year I remember (it may have been last year) where it was eight minutes. I was scanning Twitter and everyone was having the same problem.

Really hope they have this sorted for tonight. They KNOW demand is going to be high, and there can't really be any excuse for them not being prepared. Take your worst case scenario, times it by ten. That's what they should do. As the most valuable company in the world (because of mugs like me!), they can afford it!

hlevolve

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
So I just did "Test" run with an iPhone 8 (AT&T Next upgrade) on the Apple Store app....Looks like once pre-orders go live you will have the extra step of choosing whether you want Next Every year or Next 30...The interesting thing was the app already had my ATT account info pre-filled (Last four of Social, phone number, ect) so it must have saved it from when I pre-ordered the 7 last year. Good luck everyone!!

I did the same thing, this is wayyyy too many steps on different pages. I feel like we won't be getting ours until like Jan or Feb... Why don't they decrease the page load #'s on the servers and just put nearly all of these options on 1 or 2 pages so you can quickly review/change and then just hit PAY and be done. My AT&T info is pre-filled but since I moved the zip code is wrong and won't let me continue until I change it which also means I have to re-type the SSN... this is going to take way too long.

Jmanstk

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
I did the same thing, this is wayyyy too many steps on different pages. I feel like we won't be getting ours until like Jan or Feb... Why don't they decrease the page load #'s on the servers and just put nearly all of these options on 1 or 2 pages so you can quickly review/change and then just hit PAY and be done. My AT&T info is pre-filled but since I moved the zip code is wrong and won't let me continue until I change it which also means I have to re-type the SSN... this is going to take way too long.

You need to chill man lol...Be a little optimistic. It really does not take all that long, I went through the whole process with the test run in less than a minute....Just be zen and what ever happens, happens...You have zero control over it :)

brfilora

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious if the website is different. If have to go through Verizon that will suck

Why would that suck? There are users on here talking about how the VZW app has been the easiest and quickest way for them to order in the past. Have you experienced otherwise?

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
'We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious."
Hilarious how many in this thread are facetiously giving misinformation about pre-orders. As if it ******* mattered. It must be comforting to be able to buy happiness, but personally, I've never found that to work.

4183385.jpg

Have fun, you guys! :p

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
Why would that suck? There are users on here talking about how the VZW app has been the easiest and quickest way for them to order in the past. Have you experienced otherwise?

Sorry. I meant having to call in. I didn’t even think about the app but I’m set for that now

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Change the concept of "pre-ordering" to "teenagers" and you have yourself a good guide on how to become a useful and efficient teenager :p

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Hmmmm doesnt seem like i can buy it through the app if i want to use the finance option. Almost just bought an iPhone 8 by mistake while testing lol

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
How long is the process to sign up for the Apple upgrade program? My plan is to wake up at night and order this phone as an upgrade to my deteriorating iPhone 6+....
[doublepost=1509037829][/doublepost]
You need to chill man lol...Be a little optimistic. It really does not take all that long, I went through the whole process with the test run in less than a minute....Just be zen and what ever happens, happens...You have zero control over it :)

Be zen. Best advice I've seen on MR. I wish you all the best of luck tonight, my friends.

javigarrido

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
How long is the process to sign up for the Apple upgrade program? My plan is to wake up at night and order this phone as an upgrade to my deteriorating iPhone 6+....

Same here. I've been in AT&T forever, but tonight I'm planning in ordering the iphone x, enrolling for the first time into the apple upgrade program and switch to T-Mobile as soon as I get the iphone.

In the T-Mobile website, everything is focus on a T-Mobile customer upgrade, not a new one. So I'm trying to find the fastest way to switch carriers. I wish the Apple Store App allowed us to get a T-Mobile simcard having currently a different carrier.

Reactions: TimeSquareDesi

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
Same here. I've been in AT&T forever, but tonight I'm planning in ordering the iphone x, enrolling for the first time into the apple upgrade program and switch to T-Mobile as soon as I get the iphone.

In the T-Mobile website, everything is focus on a T-Mobile customer upgrade, not a new one. So I'm trying to find the fastest way to switch carriers. I wish the Apple Store App allowed us to get a T-Mobile simcard having currently a different carrier.

Good luck to you my friend. I just hope the process takes a few seconds if I rush through it. My hope that their entire backend is ready for the onslaught of traffic tonight so I/we/all of us are not delayed!!

Reactions: javigarrido

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010

I think you can

Yesterday

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Austin TX
Pretty sure I'm not going to be able to buy a AT&T iPhone X through Apple...
I'll have to try my luck with the t-mobile sim version.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 167

kadify

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know how this will work when ordering multiple phones? TBH I'm trying to pay off a few of my student loans from last semester and know that during the frenzy of iPhone releases you can sometimes sell for over value. I know there is a 2 per person limit via apple, but since you need to enter a phone number for each phone does that mean you need to have a separate phone line for each phone you plan on upgrading?

Like I have my phone number and also an iPad, can I use both phone numbers as upgrade numbers or can I just enter my phone number for each phone I plan on preordering?

Yesterday

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Austin TX

Yeah, like the other poster said, you should be able to. This is what I'm doing.
BEWARE - the iPhone X will most likely NOT support T-Mobile's new 600 mhz frequency, so you'll lose that extended lte range benefit.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I was going to sign up for the Apple upgrade program for the first time today in the store, and since I am with T-mobile the guy said forget it since they won’t let T-mobile customers sign up for the upgrade program until November 3 in store. So, he said the best thing for me would be to pay full price on a pre-order tonight and then once I get the phone bring it in and switch it to the upgrade program by doing a return and rebuy or something like that. Does that sound right?

Also. Do you think it’s possible to order the Verizon phone and then use on T-Mobile? Guy in the store was trying to say it comes pre activated for Verizon so that wouldn’t work. True?

Last edited:

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
hope you're not a Tmobile customer cause if you aren't already signed up for the Apple Upgrade Program, it seems you have to wait until they have stock in the Apple store and do it in-store...total joke...guy in the Apple Store says it's due to Tmobile's crap, and not theirs....don't know what to believe..

[doublepost=1509037829][/doublepost]

Be zen. Best advice I've seen on MR. I wish you all the best of luck tonight, my friends.

kadify

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
Got 9 preorders and all should be delivered by the 3rd ^_^ Gotta love AT&T's business direct line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.