How to prevent Safari banner "This webpage is using significant energy [...]"?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Yoms, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:19 AM.

1. Yoms macrumors member

Hi,

Several times per day, I see this banner in Safari:
    This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac.

The website is what it is and there's nothing I can do to improve it.

But this is banner happens too often. Is there a way to prevent Safari from displaying it? As it momentarily reduces the window size, it messes with the display of the webpage (rather a web app than a mere webpage actually).

Thanks a lot,

2. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Not sure how prevent this popup, but you may be able to reduce the load by using Ghostery or other content blocker. It makes a huge difference.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Turn off extensions?

Try different browser? Even in this day and age, still run into the odd website that has issues in one browser or another (eg. an online survey I got the other day would not launch in Safari, but had no issues in Firefox; Chrome has some Google-specific methods for dealing with caching/mobile content [for example]).

4. Honza1 macrumors 6502

And did you try googling this message? I did and it shows as one of the top one results:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-safari-power-saver-os-x/

It's bit old, but the checkbox is still there. Does that help?

5. Yoms thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I don't want to turn off extensions. The web app is demanding and is meant to be this way. It's a charting and graphic web app. Maybe one day, the developers will optimise their JS code, maybe not. But in the meantime, I don't want to disable JavaScript on this page as it's mandatory to use all its functionalities.

Yes I did google it, but again I don't want to use Safari power saver mode. I want to use all the power I can :) I don't care. I just want Safari to stop annoying me with this message.

6. Honza1 macrumors 6502

My reading of that page is, that checking that checkbox will prevent Safari from throwing that message and using all cpu it can.

Try it and let us know, please. I do not have test to try it on and I am intrigued ;-)

7. Yoms thread starter macrumors member

I can try, but again I'm ok with Safari using all the CPU it can. That's what I want with this page !
    Also, when I googled the msg, I also saw people writing that this msg appeared in High Sierra whereas what you are referring to is a much older functionality.