Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newsstand1.jpg

The Coding Massacre has discovered a trick to force the iOS 5 Newsstand into a folder. The only reason to do this is to tuck Newsstand away and hide it -- users who have performed this trick discovered that opening Newsstand when its in a folder crashes Springboard, the main home screen on the iPhone.
Simply follow these steps:

- Take two apps and go to create a folder
- The second the apps are in the folder and it's doing the folder creation animation, drag Newsstand into the folder
- As long as you're quick enough Newsstand will go into the folder!
If you wish to use Newsstand at some point, simply remove it from the folder and place it back on the main level.

Article Link: How To Put Newsstand In A Folder

iHacker101

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thank you!!

fogelmania

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
newsstand is on my nerves

is there any way to emancipate my nytimes app from within newsstand?

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A folder within a folder.

AnataTenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Wow, i cant believe my trick actually got posted on MacRumors. This is awesome :3 And yes, on the source link i did mention folder within a folder is possible using this method, but its not very practical, since it crashes everytime you try to open the folder. But if your trying to hide a folder from like your friends or something, its a perfect solution. Funny thing is, i tried this trick on an iOS4 device.. It worked. Its been an iOS glitch for over a year and i hadn't realized it till now xD

AnataTenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
If you try opening Newsstand while it's in another folder, Springboard crashes. You can use it as a was to quickly respring Springboard! :p

Yeah, if you quickly wanna respring without JB'ing, like if your device starts to go slow, this would work wonders.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

A folder within a folder.

Inception? :D

AnataTenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Or you could just hide it http://www.iphone365.eu/2011/10/12/nonewsisgoodnews-permite-mutarea-aplicatiei-newsstand-din-ios-5/

Translation said:
If you are among those who have already switched to the new iOS 5, have noticed that there is an application that can be moved anywhere, ie can not be added to a folder, along with others that do not use, for example.

It's Newsstand application which, for some reason, Apple does not allow us to move in any folder, as is possible with any other application of IOS. For some of us, this can be annoying, especially if we use, so that we can disrupt the most simple and useful as a folder to move it away from our eyes.

Well, there is now a tweak, specially designed for this inconvenience, which is called NoNewsIsGoodNews, which is exactly what it is we do not allow the iOS 5, ie moving Newsstand application in a folder, along with the rest of the IOS software.

NoNewsIsGoodNews is available for free in Cydia BigBoss repo site and is intended exclusively for iOS 5.

UPDATE! It seems that tweak the application it deletes all of Springboard. To retrieve it, simply uninstall it.

Fixed it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.