Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Message to Apple: Please allow us to turn off features like this that we don't want/need!

They should put all of their apps on the AppStore and let us choose which we want on our device. We are approaching bloat-ware territory...

Yes, I understand why Apps are pre-installed, but at least let us delete the ones we don't use!

I already sent feedback about deleting game center. Maybe if enough people do it they will consider it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe we should start a petition...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Whilst Newstand

They should put all of their apps on the AppStore and let us choose which we want on our device. We are approaching bloat-ware territory...

Yes, I understand why Apps are pre-installed, but at least let us delete the ones we don't use!

I already sent feedback about deleting game center. Maybe if enough people do it they will consider it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Maybe we should start a petition...

Is not something I'd ever use, and the fact that it lives on the desktop is a minor annoyance , some of the titles are UK based, but most seem to be the daily's from back home (like the New York Times) so I might be tempted to have a look from time to time. I'm certainly not going to risk messing my iPad up by trying to force it into moving the icon. It's not that big a deal.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Let's hope Apple fixes the crash part and leaves the folder within a folder alone.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Is there any way of putting this in the trash!

... In fact is there anyway of putting iOS5 in the trash?

I'm hoping that I'm the only one in the world to have had their iPad 1 trashed by this garbage piece of software.

One 64GB iPad that is no more use than as a place mat! Contacted Apple and they've suggested fully restoring it. Oh well, this will be the second after the initial upgrade... Funny how it's happened a week and a half out of my warranty.

I didn't know Apple care was need for protection against Apple itself

All the best to those who had a successful upgrade :-(

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
If you put a folder in a folder you can still use the search feature to launch an app in the 'folderception' folder without crashing. I just tried and confirmed that it works.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
CodeJingle's right, downvoters. Putting your iPhone in a state that's permanently a single function call away from a crash is asking for trouble. The crash means Apple coders didn't anticipate phones getting into this state. So next time your phone does automatic housekeeping with the over the air updates how do you know it won't crash mid install?
Very valid point.

Taking my out of nested folder.s

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Anyone know of a tranlation for that?:rolleyes:

Yes but only because of google translator.

Or you could just hide it http://www.iphone365.eu/2011/10/12/nonewsisgoodnews-permite-mutarea-aplicatiei-newsstand-din-ios-5/

Translation said:
If you are among those who have already switched to the new iOS 5, have noticed that there is an application that can be moved anywhere, ie can not be added to a folder, along with others that do not use, for example.

It's Newsstand application which, for some reason, Apple does not allow us to move in any folder, as is possible with any other application of IOS. For some of us, this can be annoying, especially if we use, so that we can disrupt the most simple and useful as a folder to move it away from our eyes.

Well, there is now a tweak, specially designed for this inconvenience, which is called NoNewsIsGoodNews, which is exactly what it is we do not allow the iOS 5, ie moving Newsstand application in a folder, along with the rest of the IOS software.

NoNewsIsGoodNews is available for free in Cydia BigBoss repo site and is intended exclusively for iOS 5.

UPDATE! It seems that tweak the application it deletes all of Springboard. To retrieve it, simply uninstall it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You guys are really quite daring...... I would never put my iPad or iPhone into a state where i had knowingly corrupted th file system...

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Thanks for the tip!

I wish we had to option to hide an app. Like another poster, I find the contacts app redundant since I can access that information within the phone app...

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
See

Attachments

• Newstand.JPG
    Newstand.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 94

JustinDaigle

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Maybe because Newsstand itself is a folder, and putting it in a folder makes SpringBoard crash? The fact that it makes it unusable seems like reason enough to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

kadouria

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Did anyone notice

----------

Did anyone notice once you put newsstands in folder, you can't open newsstands anymore?

I have the NYTimes in my newsstands and I hid it in a folder. When I want to go and read it, my phone shuts off and starts again.

I don't even get notifications from NYT anymore. I can only open it when I search it up.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Did anyone notice

----------

Did anyone notice once you put newsstands in folder, you can't open newsstands anymore?

I have the NYTimes in my newsstands and I hid it in a folder. When I want to go and read it, my phone shuts off and starts again.

I don't even get notifications from NYT anymore. I can only open it when I search it up.

You are corrupting the file system by putting a folder inside another folder with this bug. You may end up with more problems than crashing your phone... Think corrupt backup files, or temp file cleanup failures, etc.

Bad idea people...

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
This trick has inadvertently added a new feature to the phone: Locking on demand.

If you try to open newsstand inside the folder, Springboard crashes, and will ask you for your passcode immediately when it restarts.

So if you plan to put your phone down around people you don't really trust, and have it set to lock after fifteen minutes, you can do this in a snap and the phone will be locked.

This has got to be the most useful bug ever. :) I'll miss it when it's fixed someday...

Or you could just push the sleep/wake button.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A folder within a folder.

Nope, a folder within a folder within a folder.
So I tried the trick, and when you open the folder, springboard crashes. But if you're in rearrange app mode, it'd respring when you tap on the folder which newsstand is in. So I guess it also serves as a respring function for people with no jailbreak! :D

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Total bummer. I've been trying to hide newsstand for months. :'(

Yep.
I jail broke specifically to hide newsstand and photobooth.
Annoying.

Why we mandatorily need to have newsstand when it should just be another iBooks...

Actually, iBooks, Newsstand, and Apple University should all be combined into one app. Interactive textbooks, comic books, magazines, public archives, library of congress... Call the app Library, put Alexanders big face on the icon... ...with a tie-in to local libraries inventories and availabilities. ...for physical access to out-of-print, reference, and items only practically available through public libraries... Everything in one place with a unified experience. Do it right.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.