How to See What the New Mac Pro Would Look Like on Your Desk

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shortly after unveiling its much-anticipated redesigned Mac Pro on Monday, Apple added a fun augmented reality feature on its website that allows anyone to check out what it would look like if the machine took pride of place on their own desktop.

[​IMG]

Simply navigate to the Mac Pro or Pro Display XDR web page on Apple's website using your iPhone or iPad, and then tap the "See Mac Pro in AR" (or "View in AR") link to launch the augmented reality tool on your device.

Give it a few seconds to load, and you should see two options at the top of the screen. The "Object" mode lets you use your fingers to zoom and rotate a detailed 3D render of the new Mac Pro or Apple's accompanying pro-level display on your screen.

Alternately, press the "AR" button to engage your iPhone or iPad's rear camera, and then point your device at the location where you want to preview the expensive hardware - on your desk, on the floor, or anywhere you like.

The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999 with an eight-core Intel Xeon processor, 32GB of ECC RAM, AMD WX 7100 graphics, and 256GB of SSD storage, and will be available to order in the fall. Apple's new 32-inch 6K display named the Pro Display XDR will also be available in the fall starting at $4,999.

Article Link: How to See What the New Mac Pro Would Look Like on Your Desk

2. MiBook84 macrumors regular

And it’s silver&black, not silver and white or space gray and black. And so there is also a new keyboard mouse and touchpad with the same silver and black color theme. Makes me so confused.

Also think this Mac Pro would look so much cooler in space grey, or even black.

3. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

Ok now let's see it in the kitchen next to all the other kitchen tools.. I want to make sure I have cabinet space.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

As long as I don’t see how it would look on my bank account...

5. Droobiemus macrumors newbie

Can I use AR to see what my bank account balance would look like if I bought this thing?

6. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

7. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Only my desk? How about on the dirt patch, outside my house, that I had to sell to be able to afford this Ikea design Mac Pro.

8. BigNTasty macrumors newbie

BigNTasty

9. MatthewUT44 macrumors member

If you can afford a $6000 pc you can afford to have someone professionally build a custom desk

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why aren't they using this for all of their products? It's a nice advertising gimmick.

11. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

At that price, you don’t visualize how the computer will look in your room. You visualize how the room will look with the computer.

“Time to refurnish the office, hunny.”

12. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Man, I can't even afford to look at this computer at an Apple Store. Why are they teasing us like this?

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t know that I would classify AR as a ‘gimmick’, not when Apple believes it is part of the future, especially if they do release a version of their AR glasses in the future. Which AR has the potential for someone in the medical field for training or even automotive for technicians, maybe now to you it appears a gimmick, but it won’t be in the future when it’s matured enough.

14. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

The AR version is all I need. I put it next to my screen when doing a larger compile and feel powerful, powerful and calm, calm and relaxed. Now, focus that front panel...

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't say that AR viewing is a gimmick. I'm talking about Apple using AR to show you how a shiny new Mac Pro will look on your desk. That's the advertising gimmick. If that tempts me to buy a Mac Pro, then the same advertising technique might tempt me to buy an iMac.

16. raccoontail macrumors regular

But think of how much running the 28 core model will lower your heating bill!

17. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Don’t do it if you don’t want your bank account to show -6,000(+tax).

18. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Base model comes with a WX 7100? I thought it was a Radeon 580X?

19. Vasilioskn macrumors 6502

Vasilioskn

Can the holes be covered? It really gives me the extreme creeps for some reason

20. ApeBot macrumors newbie

ApeBot

Lets be honest, most of us taking the piss out of this were never in the market for one. This is a professional device and by professional, I mean your main source of income (not weekend music producers or videographers) depends on it. I know full time animators that have been waiting for something like this and their concern is less about what it looks like and more about productivity gains. You should see what they currently use. Most of the devices it will be competing against are hideous.

21. raccoontail macrumors regular

I don’t think anyone is complaining about Apple producing an actual pro level machine again. The missing piece of the Mac lineup is still a mid-tower or expandable desktop. Think the guts of an iMac in the case of a 25-year-old IIVX, priced like a Mac mini. Hopefully no one is holding their breath though.

22. Wags macrumors 65816

Got to have something to look at until fall or beyond.

23. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

The previous cheese grater had this really annoying bit near the front of the case that was impossible to clean and accumulated fluff balls. No amount of compressed air could blow it clear.

With (apparently) no filters I hope this doesn’t suffer from the same.