How to sell an iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kodachrome, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Kodachrome macrumors member

Okay, so I got a free iPod Touch 8GB from Apple's 'Back to school" promotion. I already have a perfectly fine older iPod and 8GB isn't enough for me, so I'm trying to sell the Touch. Its harder then you'd think. I've tried craigslist, but there are so many of them being sold there the going price is really low. A new one goes for $299, craigslist has people selling them for 200. I'm hoping to get more than that, possibly around the ~250+ range. And before you tell me I should just take $200 - I cant. I'm a poor college student and I need a good deal on the iPod to help alleviate the shock of buying a MacBook Pro.

SO, considering craigslist's market is flooded (and ebay is similar, plus I dont like dealing with ebay), I have a different idea. I will stand outside of an apple store with a sign: "Buy my new iPod touch 8GB for $50 less than what the Apple Store charges". I should be able to find at least one person willing to do it, right? Considering this is a brand new, in plastic, genuine iPod.

edit: and I know new iPods are coming soon, which is another reason why I want to do this soooon (next few days)

Any thoughts/ideas on this?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

1) I wouldn't be surprised if people at the Apple Store try to get you removed, because you're certainly going to affect their business even if it is one iPod.

2) I'm stumped as to why you're using the sympathy thing of "I'm poor and just paid all this money on a MBP..."; that was your choice to buy, there are cheaper notebooks out there, so don't complain to us.

3. veganskier macrumors newbie

veganskier

Not sure if you want to stand outside the Apple store- they'd probably kick you out for trespassing. Also consider that if someone buys from Apple they can return it if there are problems, whereas if they buy from you...
    Personally $50.00 isn't enough to make me buy from a stranger.
    But those are just my thoughts :p

4. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

Nah I'm not complaining, I just put that disclaimer in there because $50 is a lot to me even if I do have a macbook pro (which I had to work very hard for).

I know not everybody would be willing to buy it this way for only $50 off, but surely I could find one person who is willing to do it

plus, I'd be standing on the sidewalk, which isn't apple's property, so they couldn't do squat. I guess the city could arrest me for not having a street vendor license though....

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just sell it on CL or ebay and be done with it. I just sold one for $225.

6. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

really it's all about how you market it. Throw something else in that you don't use that isn't worth it and you might get that much.

Although anybody who knows about the current events with APple would probably even have a hard time moving on 200, as I am sure tat is what people will have to sell 16 gigs for this current gen if they want to get rid of them without a hassle.

7. WordLife565 macrumors regular

I doubt you'd be able to sell for more than 200, especially because apple sells their refurbished iPod touches (which come with 1 year warranty, apple certified, etc.) for 200 dollars, so most people wouldn't even make a move for their wallets above that price. Plus, with the knowledge of the september 9th event, and the near certain update of the touch and possibility of lower price points, only a fool would buy an 8 GB iPod touch 1st gen for over 200 dollars.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I doubt that you would get somebody serious with that purchase out side of the store, people are going to the Apple Store already because they do not want to buy on discount online sites that may be a scam, and you would look like you are trying to commit a scam. And Apple would get a way for you to be removed from the area. Just sell it for $200 online, suck it up and deal with it, it is not like you are going to be losing money, and advertise it as being brand new, still in the box with the original shrink-wrap on it (assuming that you haven't opened it).

9. Col127 macrumors 6502

i definitely wouldn't stand in front of the apple store. they would definitely kick you out :) haha. well maybe you can try ebay. or try to throw a bonus with it. give people an extra incentive to buy from you.

10. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

no they wouldn't. Thanks for the suggestions though

11. hipvamore macrumors regular

you're not gonna make more than 200. sell it while you can, because in a month it'll probably drop down till 150.

12. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

Thats the whole thing. I'm counting on people not knowing about the current prices on craigslist. I'm counting on people not knowing about the upcoming event. Not everybody visits MacRumors and not everybody knows about the upcoming announcement. Not everybody wants/ knows that they can buy refurbished ipod Touches. The situation you are presenting is the situation of a well informed buyer with extensive knowledge of the current developments. THe situation I'm trying to create is one where people get a good deal, just not as good as craigslist.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest the following

Facebook or MySpace Classifieds
    Pawnshop
    Local Classifieds
    If it is still sealed in the box, you will get more for it.

TEG

14. dakine85 macrumors newbie

if you want to....you can ask a trusted friend/family member to return it to the apple store and say, "I received this as a gift but i don't really want it, so i was wondering if i could get store credit for it?"

worked for me. got the whole amount back + tax. then you can use the store credit for something else or sell it to someone.

EDIT: the reason i say to ask someone else to get the store credit is because they will ask for an email address....and you don't want it being linked to YOUR email address that you bought your computer. especially if you're afraid of forfeiting your rebate.

15. ricartedor macrumors member

Crafty work there! well done!

16. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

I kind of did that once with another item. went to a store and bought something in another town. Saw that it costed more here where I live, so I decided to do that. I think I made at least 20% on that one. Being that they overcharge on some things.

and of course it was just after Christmas as well. I think I was around 12 or 13 though as well Not something that I'd want to do today. lus they don't have anything in this town anymore.

17. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

SELL IT ASAP! As soon as the new ones are released on the 9th, the price will PLUMMET!

Also, Jailbreak it.... then u can up the price.

18. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You're simply not going to get over $200 for it. And the price goes down on Tuesday...

I would either list a 3-day Ebay auction that ends Sunday night (you will net maybe $200 after EBay fees), or try to sell on Craiglist this weekend.

19. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Then it's not really a good deal for them, is it?

I mean I understand what you are saying, but if you're thinking Craigslist buyers are too informed (much less MR members), I'm not sure how you're going to find a buyer.

I would rather take $200 now, then risk getting significantly less after the new iPods are coming out. In a few days, everyone one will pretty much know about the new iPods.

20. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Sell it now while you can and take the 200.00 cuz that is all you're going to get. Be careful though. I'm currently selling one to upsize to a newer one and here was someone that was interested.

"I want to know whether the item still available?? this serious inquiry ..get back to me ASAP
    Thanks"

I tell her it is still available. And I get this like six hours later...

"Thanks for your reply and am glad to know that it is still available for sale.However i have some few questions on the products your selling.
    1,I would like to know the reason you are selling it..?
    2,What is the current condition of the item..?
    3,How much would you take last for it, though am okay with the listed price..?
    4,Do you have the original box for it..?
    5,Would you please allow me to pay through paypal even though i will add an extra dollars to cover the shipping because am currently not local at the moment,Am participating in a research project and i would like to purchase it from you on behalf of my friend whose who needs something to keep busy with.

If you do not have a PayPal account, you can do so by going to www.PayPal.com and set up your account it is free,easy and guarantees transaction safety.Once you send me your paypal email account, I will send you the payment for your item as well as $60 USD to cover shipping.
    I would be glad if my request is favorably consider.
    Thanks"

I was like, yeah, right... I told her I was stopping this right here. This wreaks of a scam/fraud.

21. California King macrumors 65816

I think the best thing to do is try to sell it to a friend or a friend of a friend who wants it. Other than that, I think you should list it on eBay with a good description and picture and put a buy it now price. That way you get the price you want.

22. 184550 Guest

If it still has the UPC on it, just return it to a Best Buy or Wal-Mart for cash back. If you cant get cash from anywhere, then go somewhere you could use a gift card to.

When my brother got his free 8 gig, he bought it in store and they did the rebate for him and left the box sealed and intact. But he wanted the iPod Touch so he didn't return it anywhere.

23. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

if it was an email, did the link give a url of paypal.com or did the link just say so? Because if the latter, yeah it could be a scam. Although if they pay first and it shows up in your account, then you should be fine. Although I'd take it out quick, and then send it. getting a tracking number and request for signing.

24. Kodachrome thread starter macrumors member

This might be a no-brainer, but if I got it from the AppleStore online, will I be able to return it to a Best Buy? Does Apple or Best Buy keep track of UPCs, bar codes, and serial numbers in this new-fangled internet age?

Does anybody know of a place where I can get straight cash back? I assume Best Buy and the like would just give me a gift card. And although I do love gift cards and I would love to buy more stuff, I'd rather get mo money

25. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not a great idea to be in front of the Apple Store, trying to sell. I would think that Craigslist is a good idea considering that it doesn't charge you fees, etc. However do you know anybody (school, family etc.) who would like an iPod? I'd think you might be able to charge 'em a lil bit higher.