How to swap Iphones and keep same number..??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac N Tosh, May 6, 2010.

1. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

We have two Iphones..One is 3g the other 3Gs..The 3G contract expires next month and want to drop that phone, but put that phone number on the 3Gs phone is that possible..?? It is not a family plan, but two separate accounts under one discounted name !! (I already confused myself !!)

2. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

I tried to do something similar to that and the AT&T rep said that there was no way to do so.

3. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i was hopping it was as easy as swapping the sims card !!

4. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

What do you mean by drop that phone? The way I read, you're keeping the number for the 3G, just want in on the 3GS' phone. What are you doing with the number that is currently on the 3GS?

5. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Surely it is - the phone number is on the SIM, isn't it? When I replaced my broken iPhone with a new one, the Genius simply activated it in-store with my SIM card in it, and it worked. When I plugged it into my Macbook, it was really easy to tell it to sync everything back onto it.

TT

6. geko29 macrumors 6502

The contract is on the line, not the device. So the number you want to get rid of is still under contract.

You could drop the old line and port the number to Google Voice, but that'll only help you with inbound calls--without GV integration on the iPhone, your outbound calls will still be from the "unwanted" number.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well? What happens when you swap the Sim cards?

8. gdlcjr macrumors regular

If both phone have an ATT sim, by swaping the sim, it means if somebody call you where ever you put that sim that phone will ring. It does not matter what device it is.

9. gerabbi macrumors regular

I think it's as easy as swapping the sim card.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long without a clear cut answer.

Swap the SIM cards.

Thats it.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think the question here is really "how do I keep the phone number of the expiring contract while cancelling that account?"

I have heard of people swapping numbers between contracted lines, but I think that was with a family plan.

12. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Switch it to the phone we no longer want when the contract expires next month...

13. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Ill try it.....THANKS !!!!!

14. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm afraid it's not that easy.

The 3G contract is finishing, so if you cancel the contract then you'll lose the number.

The 3GS contract, however, will keep going and you'll have to pay for it until it's finished.

So yes, it is as easy as swapping the SIMs, however it'll need some extra work to get you exactly what you want.

You'll have to talk to your provider very nicely and explain to them that you currently have 2 iPhone contracts, one is about to expire, and you want to swap them around so that you can keep the number that you're currently using on the 3G. It shouldn't make any difference from your provider's point of view - they'll have you under a single contract in the future one way or the other. My guess is that they'll move your 3GS package to your 3G package, so the 3GS contract expires while the 3G contract is extended.

Let us know how you get on!

Fabian

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You'll be able to switch the sims but you'll still have to pay for your current 3GS sim's contract.

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if it#s like the UK you should just be able to ring the network and have the number transferred to the 3Gs contract sim and just cancel the other sim

17. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

OK, here's the deal from ATT...It is a simple as switching Simms card to simply change phones...But as stated above it is not that simple to keep the number...The contract that is expiring will go month to month and I will be an early termination fee of 125.00 ..But the 3Gs phone will be swapped...or of course loose the number and use the number that is presently on the phone with no cost...Thanks to all, as you were all correct.....

18. OneHit89 macrumors member

not to steal the post, but I was just wondering how going from an older iphone to the new iphone will work, because all of our sim cards wont fit? with the new microsim slot?

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

So they won't move the number to the account with the contract? If not, you might want to think of having that number ported to a service that will forward the calls for you.

Unfortunately Google Voice doesn't allow it yet, but there are alternatives you can look into.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The new phone will come with a new SIM.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All you want is to transsfer a phone number to an exisiting contract.

They can do it, with a fee.

Go to a corporate AT&T store. They should be able to do it.

22. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

You can cut it to size using a very sharp knife if your into DIYing. :)

23. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

The 3Gs phone will ETR for 125.00 and will get the 3G sim card and keep the number..The present 3Gs number will vanish..Tomorrow, maybe when ATT calls back..I hope I am assuming correctly that a 3G sim card will function in a 3Gs phone...I never asked ATT that specifically...

24. dwykstra macrumors member

One option is to do what I did when I got the 3GS. I added a line, but that line is used for nothing. No talk plan. No data plan, but it has a number assigned to it. I switched my 3G number to my 3GS phone, and the new 3GS number to my old 3G phone. I did this so that I could get the 3GS at the discounted price last year, but my 3GS still has my old phone number, but I would imagine it should work to keep a number as well.

25. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a good idea !!

I just swapped the Simms card and all is well..I did the import fpr contacts on the phone but somehow lost em...No sweat, Ill get em from Mobile Me...I will cancel the number we dont want and pay the 125.00 and go month to month on the other....Its worth to me....