How to tell if iPhone is unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Oct 7, 2015.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 from Verizon and I am wondering if it is unlocked. I am trying to sell it to someone and they have AT&T and was asking me if it is unlocked. I have no idea. How can I find out?

2. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I purchased my iPhone 6s Plus and payed full price at the Apple Store. I asked them at the time of purchased if it's unlocked. He said YES and I said do I have to do anything specific he said NO just activate on the carrier of your choice. He did say though your particular one has an AT&T sim. So, I activated it with the AT&T sim while I was traveling (via customer service 611) and it worked without issue. This past weekend I took the sim out of a Verizon phone and inserted it into my 6s Plus and it worked without issue. I've also tried a T-Moble sim and it too worked. So, as far as I can tell it was indeed unlocked and I didn't have to go through this plugging it into iTunes business at all.

4. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup read that thread. I don't have a sim from another company. Is there a website that will tell me

5. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

I take it you didn't read the tl;dr portion of my post ... or even see the post below the first one I posted. Not that hard. Plug it in to your computer, restore your iphone through iTunes, and you should see a sign that states your phone is unlocked. If no other words, then its still locked.

6. crazyeyes macrumors regular

The only way to know for sure is to try a different sim card in the phone

7. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

8. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Yeah and if you don't have access to another sim from a different carrier, then the iTunes restore is the only other way to find out, which sucks. Who want to do a restore on a perfectly working phone?

To the thread starter you don't know anyone with an iPhone with another carrier that would let you test out using their sim?

9. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the best way to unlock it?

10. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I can ask around and see who has ATT. Didn't think of using someone else's sim.

11. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Where did you buy it? Did you pay full price? I know if you purchased directly form Apple and paid full price it's unlocked. If you got it from a carrier and you paid full price you can usually go to a web site and submit a request. This too would require that you do the iTunes restore thing and/or use a different sim. But you would then know for sure.

12. Z3man macrumors 6502a

13. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it from Verizon with the two yr contract back when it came out

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

it's unlocked then

15. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I really don't know much about Verizon. However, you can contact there CS and ask them about it. General consensus is that if you are still under contact they won't unlock it. All you can do is ask!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's really a Verizon i5 then it's unlocked for gsm use.
    And even of you restore you won't see any congrats message like others said.
    Only way to be sure is stick another carriers sim.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

But isn't it only unlocked for GSM use internationally? Since it's CDMA it can't be used on at&ts network can it?

18. crazyeyes macrumors regular

I believe you are right, a cdma iPhone 5 only worked on cdma networks in the US and would work on GSM outside the US, but could only be used with either sprint or verizon, not t-mobile, or at&t. But I am not 100% sure but that's what my one friend told me who actually tried to buy an unlocked verizon iphone 5 to use with at&t and it didn't work.

19. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

So now I restored on iTunes and it failed and I can't even recover it.

20. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

This same crap happened with my iPad. Updating to iOS 9 has been a nightmare

21. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple and Verizon both confirmed its unlocked so I hope I'm good.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes it may be unlocked. But since its a Verizon iPhone 5 and it being cdma I think it is only GSM unlocked for international use. It will not work with GSM carriers in the United States I believe.

23. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Why does this have to be so difficult.

24. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Because it's Verizon! :)

25. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Because CDMA. When the iPhone 6 was released is when the Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T were all same model so if the phone was unlocked it could work on all 3 carriers.