How To Treat A New MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucasBoy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. LucasBoy macrumors member

Hey people, so I got my MacBook Pro about a week ago. I just want to know how you guys treat your MacBooks. I seem to be so sensitive with it and checking very closely for any marks and stuff. Do you guys think I'm over reacting? I also don't let anyone touch it and stuff. I do believe I am over reacting. Give me your opinions or tell me how you guys treat your MacBooks. Do you guys treat it like a PC or anything? Give me your opinions or tell me your stories. Anything would be appreciated.
    Also, my Mac seems to be getting a lot slower and kind of lagging compared to when I first got it. Do you guys know any reason why this might happen? And I didn't download any Apps. I only downloaded Oovoo, AppDelete, iAlertU, Mozilla Firefox, and Senuti. I deleted them all from my system already. But my Mac still seems to be lagging a little. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. :apple:

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I protect it as best I can from scratches and the like, but college can be a damaging place for laptops.

It's like a baby, it needs to be touched.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You are overreacting. But that is the first week for you. Now go out and have fun in the sun. :)

4. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

Well, yeah. I protect it as much as I can. I have the Speck See-Through case and I'm planning on getting a Moshi palm rest protector and a Moshi keyboard protector but my dad says it isn't necessary.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah the first weeks you will be very over-protective with your new toy. After a while though it becomes less.

But yeah, you need to take care not to bang it up or put some scratches on the gorgeous body.

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I'm with your dad there. It's a computer and I absolutely hate having ugly plastic on my keyboard. Better to have some real sense of your keyboard than have it always feeling funny. Just wipe it clean on and off and you are set. You only need a case or a sleeve with your regular bag. That's it. I use a padded computer bag. You have the hard case so it should be fine.

7. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

+1 College is hell for any laptop... But i just throw mine around ram into doors and everything else:rolleyes: JKJK dont really do that. I protect mine the best i can but in the end i know that it will wear and tear as anything else... But i may have threatened people if they where to mess with my MBP;). I also slap anybody who puts their hand by my screen... but i've shown restraint when it was a professor

8. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I feel like I'm overreacting too because I got to the Apple store a lot and I see all those Macs that people touch and screw around with and they seem to be perfectly fine. There is like no scratches on the palm rest even though all the people in New York touched them and put their hands on them. I'm just amazed by that so I think I'm just overreacting. But I still think it is kind of needed because I don't want to damage it in anyway. I guess I should just have fun with it and stay calm because I guess that is what the Mac is made for; going around to use anywhere and being durable.

9. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

If it is your professor you should just threaten him. Say: You better give me a A on the report or I'm going to sue you for touching my computer without authorized permission.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd recommend getting the keyboard protector, the Palm Rest is a little overkill for my preferences; but, if you wear a watch then I'd recommend it. I'd also recommend getting an ColcaSac if you plan on just throwing this thing in your backpack.

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Now it's a shopping spree. A hard case is enough protection for him. No need. I would assume he has a bag or something to keep computer and books. I prefer backpacks myself.

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I my personal opinion, anything more than a case, sleeve, or invisishield is overkill. Keyboard protectors make it awkward/hard to type with in my experience. Same for the Palm guard, it is useful if you wear a watch. But, to each his own.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not really necessary IMO. I think the best you can do is to put it on a desk without metal objects around it that could cause a scratch (like keys or coins). Also, make sure you don't place any liquids around.

Eventually, the newness of it will wear off and you'll begin to not obsess so much.

14. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

If only :rolleyes:

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For me the keyboard protector is nice because I like to slam on the keys. And because I find it much nicer to type on. Also, I was utterly appalled when I took the keyboard off of the Powerbook, all the hair and crumbs....

16. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

How do you get the keyboard off?

17. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id say youre fine with the speck case and keyboard cover.
    a keyboard cover if you wanna be extra careful, since the black keys (not sure about the June 2009-Current ones if theyre any different) but ive noticed alot of wear on the matte finish of the black keys..its not a huge concern to me anymore..but just some thought.

congrats on the new cool comp!

18. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

My MBP should be here anyday and i hadn't even thought of this, thanks. :D

With an iPhone and a laptop, who needs a watch anyway?

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

Peronsally I just take care of my gadgets, I don't have a case for my MBP or my iPhone. I just don't get how people tear up stuff so easy. Aside from the fact Apple makes great looking products and then people put plastic ugly ass cases on them... huh?:eek:

20. puma1552 macrumors 601

On the topic of ColcaSacs, am I the only one who didn't like it?

I found the fleece to be very rough, and the seams were VERY rough inside since the material is folded inward where it's stiched...to me it seems like it's full of scratch potential???

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean the Incase had one of the worst flaws in that they embroidered a label inside that scratched your notebook. Most users simply unstitched the thing, but such a waste. As for your actual question: no one seems to be reporting any problems of scratching.

22. mrj412 macrumors regular

I've been crazy and wrap my new MBP in a cloth before putting it in my messenger bag, but that is mostly because the 13" notebook is smaller than the bag and I don't want it bouncing around too much while I am on the bus.

I really like the aluminum and think it would just look and feel silly to put a plastic case on it, if I wanted that I could have kept my white MacBook.

I do have a nice rubber case and screen shield for my iPod Touch. I like the rubber as it give the iPod some grip when I have it on my desk.

I agree about other people using it though, it makes me anxious as hell.

23. Ann P macrumors 68020

You're not overreacting at all. This aluminum dents and scratches so easily. Hopefully, you won't have to find out for yourself.

24. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't wear any watches because I just think watches get annoying and make your wrist itchy. I already have a custom made bag for my 13" from Apple. The inside is soft and doesn't seem to scratch it. That is just probably because I have a plastic case for it. I have this bag for it: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TL996LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjE0ODIxMg&p=2&s=topSellers

25. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You have the speck case, now get one of those rubber keyboard covers, the suede screen protector, a palm rest protector, a trackpad protector, and use white cotton gloves when handling it.

If all else, you can wrap it in the plastic you probably have your sofa wrapped in.