How to wow my dad with the iphone 4. Tips

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoCal70, Jul 1, 2010.

1. SoCal70 macrumors member

Hey all, I was planning to make the switch from verizon to at&t for the iphone 4 with my own money that I earned from work, but last night, my dad basically snapped back at me saying he wouldnt allow me to switch until my contract is over in.....13months.

What are some cool features that the iphone 4 can do but not on android(specifically Droid Eris) besides front-facing camera,Retina Display?

Thanks,

You have no idea how much I f**cking want this phone.

2. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It's not worth the 325 dollar termination fee. That's just silly to do that.

3. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I was wondering how many replies it would take to see something like this.

Thanks. :D

5. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

Yes you can.

6. ducktales macrumors regular

snap back and tell him its ur money and tell him to f off.

7. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

There is absolutely nothing that could convince your dad, unless your ETF was cheaper.

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

or you just pay the ETF plus phone... why would he care then?

9. slate1 macrumors regular

As dad to a teenager, the best way to "wow" your dad, in my estimation, is to thank him dearly that he's even willing to provide you with a luxury, non-essential item like a cell-phone.

I appreciate the fact that you're willing to buy the phone with your own hard-earned money, but you're asking him to pay even more than that in termination fees and monthly service fees.

Hold out for the 13 months and get the next-gen iPhone, that, trust me - you'll want every bit as much as this one when it comes out!

10. jbellanca macrumors 6502

Don't listen to those first couple trolls, I love my iPhone 4 and think it's a great phone. I also don't seem to have the signal problem some people have had. Anyway, it's not so much what the phone can or can't do, although the things you mention are true, but the elegance and simplicity of how it does things. Take the camera for instance. Simple, quick, easy, awesome photos. On the Droid, the pics aren't as good, and the camera app is really difficult to use and really cumbersome. (BTW, your ETF fee is probably prorated, so it'll be cheaper than the $325, and if you've had your contract a while, you're probably under the $175 ETF anyway, which again would be prorated down, so it probably won't be all that bad.) There's also the great apps that are available for it, that the Droid doesn't have, though that might not be the best argument since that's more money to spend :). Same some extra cash for a case, too. Anyway, good luck, and enjoy you new iPhone 4 when you get it!!

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hmm, how about the fact that the Droid Eris already has the 2.2 update (via root), and thus has full Flash 10.1 support?

Oh wait you were asking the other way round... :p

Nothing wrong with the Droid Eris, still far more open than the iPhone ever will be. If you really want the Apple kool-aid, wait 13 months and upgrade to the iPhone5 or w/e it will be called. You'll think that the iPhone4 is trash then and want the 5 'really effin bad'.

And, best of all, you can hold the Droid any way you like :D

EDIT: jbellanca, how is advising that he wait out his contract 'trolling'? And, um, have you actually ever used Sense UI's camera app? There are more customizable settings and it is not slow at all.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry, makes sense to me.

Why not wait for the iPhone 5G (or whatever it's called) and upgrade then when your current contract runs out?

13. xmtgx macrumors regular

Save your money and wait till next years model, you could most likely stick with verizon at that point as well.

14. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Just offer to pay the ETF fee also if that's the issue.

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

Unless you have a terrible phone, it might be best to ride it out. 13 months from now the iPhone 5 will be out, that has to be better than the iPhone 4, right?

16. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

just tell him that you can make the signal bars magically disappear by simply holding the iphone 4 in your left hand. he'll be impressed and will pay you to make the switch.

17. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

My ETF is $280 cuz each month on contract minus $10...

The issue is that I'm moving out to college 3 hours away from home, the droid eris I have has a lot of issues, such as very poor battery life, I turn off all gpa/push notifications/brightness and it will not last me more than a couple hours of use. The software the buggy and I have to force close the HTC sense on my phone whenever I swipe to another homescreen(I have 7 homepages)...

I don't even know why my dad isn't allowing it, he's a businessman/investor/etc and earns millions of $ a year, yet he's so mad at this one issue where he doesn't even have to pay anything.

18. FireSokar macrumors regular

Heres an idea... get a job and pay your own ETF, and new contract he cant argue with you then.

Btw, i switched from a eris and your problems can be fixed with a factory reset, also battery life was great on mine 48 hours of playing / usage and no charge. dont exagurate the problem

19. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

I said it in the OP..I do have a job elsewhere and I am willing to pay for ETF/iphone/and 2 years worth of service.....

20. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

What's your ETF anyways?

If it's $375, don't do it. It's not worth it. Just get the Driod X or Incredible or something (something even better will come along in a month or two).

If it's $175, just offer to pay the termination fee + cost of phone and your dad can't complain.

Or check online and see if there's any changes at all Verizon made to your contract (to cost of text messages etc). If so, you can use that as an excuse for why you should be allowed to go off the contract without paying the ETF.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

He is on the older contract. EFT is $175 - $5 each month he has been into his contract.

Notwithstanding that fact, your dad is a dad. He is likely trying to teach you a lesson about not wasting money on unnecessary things like ETFs. You will thank him when you get older and you will survive not owning an iP4. Trust me. The iP5 will be that much sweeter to you.

22. SoCal70 thread starter macrumors member

Guys...my original ETF is $350...but each month on contract deducts $10....lol

23. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

OP, Verizon upped it's early termination fee from $175 to $375 in November of last year. Did you sign your contract before or after November of last year? If you signed it before, then legally, Verizon has no right to change your contract on you like that and charge you the new fee. You can call them and complain and use the change to your contract to try to get out of it. If you signed it after November of last year, you're out of luck.

Is your whole family on Verizon? Are you guys on the family plan and thus save a lot of money?

If you are, I would say, just be patient.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ends on December of 2010.

So you'll see a Verizon iPhone either January of 2010 or June of 2010.

You'll be able to get next year's iPhone.

P.S: At the end of the day, if you really want the iPhone, and you know that you get great AT&T reception where you live, get it. It's a great phone. But only worth that much if you do get good solid AT&T reception in your area. Check with others who have the same phone to make sure.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because your dad didn't get to where he is by making stupid decisions. He's trying to pass some of that wisdom on to you. Wait the 13 months, get the next iPhone after Apple has fixed their antenna issues.

25. slate1 macrumors regular

Actually, you didn't say that. You said you were willing to pay for the phone so, I and everyone else assumed your dad was picking up the tab on the ETF and service.

If it's the case that you're paying for it all, I don't understand why he should care. Is it the wisest move? Probably not since you're still under contract. But being young isn't about wisdom! If I had a dime for every un-wise thing I did as a teenager I could have retired a long time ago!