Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
iOS 7 fits right in with the multicolored low cost phones that Apple has coming out. And I think that's great because Apple products have long been overpriced and undersold. Beta Siri, Beta Maps, and Beta iOS 7, these things should drive the price down.

They're far from exceeding the quality of what you would get from something like a Galaxy S4, yet iPhones cost so much more, and it's good that they're changing that.

They should probably stick with what they currently have. The Apple A6 chip.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
iOS 7 fits right in with the multicolored low cost phones that Apple has coming out. And I think that's great because Apple products have long been overpriced and undersold. Beta Siri, Beta Maps, and Beta iOS 7, these things should drive the price down.

They're far from exceeding the quality of what you would get from something like a Galaxy S4, yet iPhones cost so much more, and it's good that they're changing that.

They should probably stick with what they currently have. The Apple A6 chip.

By the time the supposed cheaper iPhone arrives, iOS 7 will be much more polished, the update will be released in sync with the 2013 device updates. The cheaper iPhone will be designed to allow people who don't want to spend £600 on an unlocked contract-free device to get the iPhone experience, not to compete with the S4, that's what the high end devices are for. IMO there is no competition between the design and aesthetics of something like an S4 and say the iPhone 5.

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
But who wouldn't want a cheap iPhone 5 then? It's an iPhone, it's cheaper. It's the same thing, why spend more?

I think the closer Apple can follow in Samsung's footsteps, the better.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
it'll be like the iPad mini. Not quite the full iPad experience. Just translate that to iPhone. It'll prob be non-retina, 512 mb of ram, etc...

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
MacBook Air weighs less, cost less, and does everything that the Pro does.

Same with the mini. I always thought the iPad was too big.

I'd love to buy a cheaper iPhone. I've said for the longest time that iPhones have not been worth the price that we've been paying for them.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
yet iPhones cost so much more, and it's good that they're changing that.

The Samsung Galaxy S4's retail price is $649.00.
The HTC One's retail price is $599.00

The iPhone in fact does not cost more than competing premium smartphones. I can understand if you think smartphones cost too much in general.

Apple is introducing these $300-400 cheaper models for markets such as India, China and other places in the world where the cost of the phone is not subsidized by the carrier.(In other words you can't get it for $199 with a contract)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Same with the mini. I always thought the iPad was too big.

I'd love to buy a cheaper iPhone. I've said for the longest time that iPhones have not been worth the price that we've been paying for them.
Except the mini is clearly underpowered and lacking features (like retina) when compares to the regular iPads of the same time period.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
its having iOS7 and smarter multitasking. Its makes easier, faster and more enjoyable. Its apps look different, the way you do things feels perfectly familiar. recently apple is best product of the phone.

Was this reply supposed to be for another thread?:confused:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania

You are so wrong.
Try using Final Cut Pro X or Logic Studio X on a 13" Air. Try playing a modern game like Battlefield 3.
Pro (15" & 17") is for professionals, Air is for students, teenagers, school, travel.

EDIT : The 13" Macbook Pro is a joke. A dual core computer with integrated graphics and a 13" screen does not deserve the name "Pro".

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
it'll be like the iPad mini. Not quite the full iPad experience. Just translate that to iPhone. It'll prob be non-retina, 512 mb of ram, etc...

why would Apple do that when they require all apps to be submitted to app store be retina specific? :roll eyes:

They already killed off all non-retina (iPhone and iPod) devices with iOS-7. There is no need to go backwards.

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Except the mini is clearly underpowered and lacking features (like retina) when compares to the regular iPads of the same time period.

Some people really care about retina, but to me there isn't that big of a difference, and apparently Apple doesn't think so either.

You are so wrong.
Try using Final Cut Pro X or Logic Studio X on a 13" Air. Try playing a modern game like Battlefield 3.
Pro (15" & 17") is for professionals, Air is for students, teenagers, school, travel.

EDIT : The 13" Macbook Pro is a joke. A dual core computer with integrated graphics and a 13" screen does not deserve the name "Pro".

Seeing as the Air now has a 24 hour battery life, I wouldn't say so, the usability is only increased. And don't they have new faster processors and chips? You can't beat that. Just for the fact that it costs less.

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
While we don't know what the tradeoffs will be, you can be sure iOS 7 will work fine on the cheaper iPhones, if they come out. That doesn't mean they'll pack a full version of the OS probably, but I fail to see why Apple wouldn't include the main features of their new product.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Seeing as the Air now has a 24 hour battery life, I wouldn't say so, the usability is only increased. And don't they have new faster processors and chips? You can't beat that. Just for the fact that it costs less.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Get your facts right.
24 hour battery life ? The 13" Air has a 12 hour battery life and the 11" Air has a 9 hour battery life.

Anyway, back to your statement :

The Macbook Air is a Dual-Core machine and has integrated graphics with a 11"/13" screen !
There is no way you can do real PRO work on a Macbook Air.
You can't compare the Air with the Pro.
If you could, the Macbook PRO's would not exist. But yet they do exist. Why ? PRO is for Professionals, Air is for students, teenagers, school, travel. I said this earlier.

Last edited:

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
You really don't know what you are talking about. Get your facts right.
24 hour battery life ? The 13" Air has a 12 hour battery life.

Anyway, back to your statement :

The Macbook Air is a Dual-Core machine and has integrated graphics with a 11"/13" screen !
There is no way you can do real PRO work on a Macbook Air.
You can't compare the Air with the Pro.
If you could, the Macbook PRO's would not exist. But you can't.

Well that's the point of the Air though, it's supposed to be, you know, like Air. So I think if you put 15 inches on a MacBook Air the product wouldn't be as compelling.

And then again, are there any specific programs that require a Pro? Like seriously they won't run without it? Because I have the Air and it plays modern games with no issues. It runs Photoshop and iMovie just fine.

It's not like it ever crashes. You must give credit where credit is due,

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
And then again, are there any specific programs that require a Pro? Like seriously they won't run without it? Because I have the Air and it plays modern games with no issues. It runs Photoshop and iMovie just fine.

It's not like it ever crashes. You must give credit where credit is due,

You do not understand my point.
You can run PRO apps on the Air but you can't to real PRO work on the Air. And trust me, modern games don't work well with the chipset in the Air.
Dude, c'mon. Are you saying that you can do serious Photoshop work on a 13" display ?

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
But who wouldn't want a cheap iPhone 5 then? It's an iPhone, it's cheaper. It's the same thing, why spend more?

I think the closer Apple can follow in Samsung's footsteps, the better.

If it's cheaper then it's going to lacking in the hardware dept somewhere or other.

So this is what consumers will have to choose from, hardware or 200 bucks in their pocket!

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
You do not understand my point.
You can run PRO apps on the Air but you can't to real PRO work on the Air. And trust me, modern games don't work well with the chipset in the Air.
Dude, c'mon. Are you saying that you can do serious Photoshop work on a 13" display ?

Well now that I've gotten used to it.

We always used to work on those iMacs, but think about the price. For the price, it goes above and beyond. You won't run into any serious problems when trying to run these programs.

The only difference is the Pros can handle those industrial type loads. Like if you're doing something really big, for a company.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Apple arn't going to release a new product with a lagging OS, that just ain't their style.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Some people really care about retina, but to me there isn't that big of a difference, and apparently Apple doesn't think so either.

Oh Apple cares alright. They just want to make more money and get something cheaper out faster and then still have something for new versions for people to upgrade.

applemoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Oh Apple cares alright. They just want to make more money and get something cheaper out faster and then still have something for new versions for people to upgrade.

I think most of the time, the cheaper products out do the expensive ones. Like, think if the iPhone 5 was plastic from the start, there wouldn't have been as many manufacturing problems as well as paint chipping and denting.

We might end up getting better battery life out of it.

At first I scoffed at the idea of a cheaper iPhone and then I thought about it and I said, Apples good at making cheap products,

I thought the iPhone 5 was too expensive from the start.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think most of the time, the cheaper products out do the expensive ones. Like, think if the iPhone 5 was plastic from the start, there wouldn't have been as many manufacturing problems as well as paint chipping and denting.

We might end up getting better battery life out of it.

At first I scoffed at the idea of a cheaper iPhone and then I thought about it and I said, Apples good at making cheap products,

I thought the iPhone 5 was too expensive from the start.

Again, what do you base this on? The Galaxy S4 is the SAME price as the iphone 5 and it's made of plastic for crying out loud.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
why would Apple do that when they require all apps to be submitted to app store be retina specific? :roll eyes:

They already killed off all non-retina (iPhone and iPod) devices with iOS-7. There is no need to go backwards.

so why does the iPad mini still exist? It's clearly not retina. the iPod Touch 4 is retina yet it doesn't get ios 7

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013

I'm not sure that last part is exactly true, bro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.