How Will You Spend The Stimulus Money?

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
This thread is directed for folks in the US. Wondering how you plan on spending the upcoming stimulus funds. As of now, it looks like it will be between $1000 and $200 per adult. For my wife and I, we'll just save it.

Other thoughts?
Same for us. Save until it is over. Then if it didn't get eaten by bills because we lost hours, not sure yet.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
My (adult) daughter works in customer service at a grocery chain. She really shouldn't be at work. She is in an impossible position, balancing working (necessary for her health insurance and chronic conditions) and risking her already precarious health. My $, whatever they are, shall go to food, salary replacement for her should she be laid off, and wine.

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
Since I was thinking about getting a new iPad this year it might be a good way to spend it. Current iPad is 4+ years old and battery is not doing great.

ghboard2010

macrumors member
"Believe in half of what you, none of what of what you hear." Well, initially the Treasury Dept. 'floated' a $4500 figure. The senate wants to 'dick' around a tiered figure, something like $1200/$600, income and marriage qualifiers, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, the rest of us will probably lose businesses, jobs, and homes. America 'burns to the ground' while these feckless cretins 'fiddle'. Oh yeah, while I'm screeding{is that a word?} did anyone catch a report of two US Senators dumping stocks after a December briefing about corona, yet prior to bloody beating the stock market has taken this past few weeks. Wow talk about sliminess.

screed/

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Not on groceries, at least for online delivery. Before you could pick and choose a time and order anything no problem but for weeks now there is simply no delivery available at any time on any day from the likes of Amazon fresh, Safeway, etc where I live (SF bay). Obviously unprepared and maybe that’s understandable but there’s nothing in terms of any public update as to when deliveries will resume. Visiting their websites to order is currently a big waste of time. And the response so far is just the typical corporate nonsense about all the great things there are doing responding to the Coronavirus, but as always actions speak louder than words.

On the other hand, Grubhub, which I never thought was particularly great for restaurant deliveries, has really stepped up their game and service from them in my area is actually markedly better now than it was before. But the big players like Amazon of all places seem stymied. Go figure.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
I highly doubt we get it. And if we do, we just donate to those who really need it. Our jobs are stable, while not living the high life, we’re well able to ride this crisis out financially.

Last edited by a moderator:

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
From the responses so far, it doesn't sound like the checks would actually stimulate the consumer economy.

People who live in uncertain times do tend to hang onto money unless inflation is rampant, which is not the case so far here at least in the legitimate economy since price gouging laws do kick in after awhile.

This is kind of different to the recovery after the global financial collapse; the stimulus money did get spent; people saw "the crash" in the rear view -- as opposed to now where we're not sure if there will be more money later (for laid off workers) or how long the work shutdowns meant to help suppress the virus will have to continue.

It's an argument, perhaps, for how the government should have stood up a temporary UBI program: hand out $1-2k to everybody for now and then quickly put up paperwork to apply for certain levels of a lost wages replacement program, untili the virus runs out of steam.

daimos

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Those who need it were having two jobs and are too busy to read pages and pages of threads about people asking if their thousand dollar phones are already obsolete.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Fortunately, we do not have to pay any Federal Income taxes for tax year 2019. I guess I could file late, and since the amount we would pay or get back is $0, the late penalty would also be $0.
Will be there a penalty since they allowed to file later?

Calebtt

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I don’t think handing out money is the answer, some type of rationing programs should be put in place, but if I receive a stimulus check it’ll be saved for emergency use.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Doubt we'll be getting any due to earnings. Ironically, I stand to make a lot during an economic downturn. If we do get money, we'll likely donate it to a charity or a foodbank.

Reactions: kazmac