How would you counter these arguments against Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asifnaz, Dec 14, 2010.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am often bashed being a mac user .I often listen arguments lik:

I wasn't aware that having the same specs as a $1600 mac for $500 was illogical?

or the fact that a mac is an intel PC with mac os on it, and games are really important for some people. why have a top of the line video card if you can't play games and don't use graphics software?

I use linux but... I can copy mac specs and build a pc for oftentimes almost 50% less than the mac, I just dont understand that premium, because it looks cool? shop around you can buy all sorts of fancy cases and monitors if you build it yourself. what else needs to be said.

and if you learn a LITTLe about computers you don't really need to worry about viruses, keep your antivirus updated and dont use internet explorer, common sense stuff, or run linux and don't worry at all.

oh and if you must, you can install mac on a regular pc, its quite easy. and hundreds of dollars cheaper

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Because I like it and so I got it.

Usually once people have made up their mind, it doesn't matter what you tell them as their opinion is already firmly planted.

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Let them remain in their PC world then. Nobody is holding a knife to their throat.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I can write a whole page of why. I have already written tons and don't feel like typing it all out again. Tell them they can go buy what they want and you buy what you want. There are tons of reasons to buy a apple laptop. This just seems like your trying to start a flaming war here.
    Quick points?

Battery
    Form Factor
    Os (Updates are cheaper the Windows so part of research $ must come from laptop sales)
    software
    weight
    Screen qulity (high gamut)
    Trackpad
    reliability and customer service (Number one anyone?)
    viruses

6. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

What the PC industry doesn't understand is that consumers prefer convenience. That's why Macs are selling so well, despite their high price. Face it, everything about the "Mac-world" is more convenient: the Apple Stores, the OS, customer service, warranty, battery-life, no viruses, and more (not to mention the Mac App Store... see a trend here?).

Consumers are willing to purchase a higher priced computer (a Mac), because it is more convenient for them to do so and they feel it has more value. For some reason the PC industry can't get over the fact that there is more than just SPECS.

I could give example after example about how convenience always wins, file-sharing, Steam, Amazon, Netflix... you name it.

A product is as valuable as the price someone is willing to pay for it.

7. ATC macrumors 6502a

+1

The argument is useless because when the debate is strictly framed around "specs" it's inherently an unwinnable argument, for specs only tell part of the story and effectively cover a very narrow spectrum of the total end-user experience, on which the mac platform is so heavily based.

This reminds me of the "megapixel" debacle in digital photography, and I say debacle because it really was a major disservice to the whole photographic industry and its consumers and followers. Marketers, successfully, framed the whole digital photography debate on one spec (megapixels), effectively making the claim that a 12mp camera is better than a 9mp camera when it was so far removed from the truth. Yes, on its own and with everything else being equal, a 12mp camera might be better than a 9mp unit but megapixels alone aren't a good indicator of a digital camera’s overall performance.

The total end-user experience is fundamentally difficult to define with specs alone which are why so many mac users have given up on preaching about the mac platform. Oddly, most mac bashers are those who have never owned a mac. This is why it’s so silly to try to counter and argue, there really is no point to it. I say let the uninformed remain in fantasy land. :p

8. thejadedmonkey, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This is probably the easiest to defend against: The mac experience is more than just computer parts, it's the OS, and how it integrates with the hardware.

Opinion: Granted even some of the newer Dell's are starting to have better HW/OS integration, so I don't know how much longer Apple will be able to keep up their price premium, especially if malware writers start targeting OS X and it becomes another commodity platform like Windows is. The whole Apple experience is overrated when it come to integration, not that it's not good, but when Windows can do the same with the PC, Phone, Xbox, and who knows what else, for far less, the price premium starts to become more noticeable.

Luckily, macs don't ever come with a top of the line video card.

Basically. If you don't mind not having the peace of mind of warranty support, as well as an OS that's ready to use without any tweaking, there's no advantage to OS X over Linux.

That's true. The last time I had a problem with my PC was when the battery wasn't charging correctly. I didn't know what to do, but I called Dell up and they upgraded my BIOS (like EFI fireware for you mac users) for me, remotely. I don't think I've ever had a problem with Windows 7.

If you know what you're doing, yep!

OP: Mac's aren't perfect. Don't think they are, there are numerous counter arguments against purchasing a mac. I could list a lot more than you did. But I could also list reasons against purchasing a Windows computer.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I say:

"Dear Troll (not you OP, just whoever was asking these questions).

I'm glad you felt that it was appropriate to come from under the bridge to pester me about your insecurity and reaffirm the fact that you have absolutely too much time on your hands. The purchase price of your laptop is of none of my concern.

Thanks."

10. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

1. $500 vs $1600 - I would say depending on the laptop, you are getting **** for $500. for $1600 i got a uMBP with i5, comparable Dells/HP are the same price (XPS Studio, Envy). Lower models that offer i5's are given **** motherboards and **** RAM, as well as more **** hardware aside from teh processor and optional details.

2. I can game on OS X, or boot into BootCamp if I need to as well to game.

3. True I have a Hackintosh myself and laugh at purchasers of Mac Pros, but at the same time: Apple Laptops are very well built and have extendable warranties. The pain of making a thin powerful laptop as a MBP or a MBA is not easy for the regular consumer, and if its not for you - then more power to you.

4. Moot point, I don't install anti-virus software on my Windows machines, I'm just smart enough not to get viruses/spyware. Mac users who are irresponsible can screw themselves over as well.

5. My Hackintosh is great, but it will never be an Apple. I have to see an ugly startup, a very tedious set up for certain hardwares, sometimes updating is a pain, and issues like Sleep and Hibernate not working can be annoying at times. The only plus size is being able to run Mac on a powerful PC for a price cheaper than a Mac pro.

11. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Ignore them and move on. These kind of people are not worth it and only seek attention by pissing other people off.

And since its through online, they don't feel the danger of someone actually doing something about their taunts.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I can easily discuss and give unbiased answers to all these points but what's the point? If anyone kept on harping on about it and reckon they're that smart, I would suggest they try and publish a decent research paper on the matter.

Every OS has its +ve's and -ve's.

Normal and more educated people would normally discuss better things in life... trust me.

13. Ifti macrumors 68000

My answer would be.....
    'Because I have considerably more money then you.'

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Like the style! :D

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Don't bother countering their arguments, just ignore them and move on instead of wasting your time.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The first one: These guys don't understand "specs". They only understand the "specs" that are easy to understand. They don't understand for example that a MacBook Pro on the living room table looks nice and a Dell ********** laptop is ugly as ****, which in _my_ living room that has been tastefully arranged with nice things makes a hell of a lot of a difference. Yes, "looks good on the living room table" is part of the specs - obviously not if you have no living room table. "Everyone without any experience can use it": That is a big part of the spec. People come to my home who never, ever used a Macintosh before and they just use it without thinking. "Comes with backup software that people actually use": Huge part of the spec. Do you know any Windows users who do regular updates? Many, many Mac users have their Macs updated automatically every hour. That is part of a spec that the dimwits just don't grasp. "Does not fall apart after a short time". My daughters Toshiba for £400 fell apart after less than two years. My old MacBook for £850 is going strong after 4 1/2 years. I spent less per year than she did, and the MacBook is used an awful lot more. That is a very important part of the spec.

The last one: You cannot legally install MacOS on a "regular PC". Psystar did this on a commercial basis (which ended in bankruptcy), and one of things they owe Apple is $2,500 per installed MacOS X for DMCA violation. I'd say that waiting outside an Apple Store and robbing the next customer that leaves with a MacBook is certainly hundreds of dollars cheaper than buying one yourself, but it is illegal. Still, some do it.

But when you really think about it: Do you think these people are trying to help you safe money, or are they trying to annoy you? I'd say they are trying to annoy you. Why are they doing it? Jealousy.

17. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I was just in Best Buy yesterday killing some time while my wife shopped. So I decided to play around with some PC laptops - WOW, total crap! I mean seriously, their plastic build feels VERY cheap for the most part. Cracking and creeky noises every time you open and close it. The trackpad blows! AND these were $800 and $900 laptops. I can't imagine how crappy a $500 PC would feel.

To me, a mac is just simply superior in build, form and quality. PLUS, you can resell it 2 years later for nearly a GRAND!!!!!!

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Bingo.

This debate has gone on for longer than many people on this board have been alive. There's no point in trying to "win" it since the choice comes from different underlying assumptions of value.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Why would I care what they think?

I couldn't be bothered to lobby someone to prefer a Mac over a WinPC.

I love using my Macs and well-integrated Apple devices. That's really all that matters.

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Overall user experience. People still buy Audis and BMWs when they could just buy Dodges and Hyundais. Why? They all do the same thing.

User experience.

21. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Those laptops have probably been on the floor for a while and already seen their fair share of stupid kids mistreating them. It's unfair to assume that they are like that out of the box. I've seen laptops at Best Buy that have had keys missing and stuff. As far as the trackpad everyone will probably agree that Macbooks have the best there is in that department even PC users once they've tried it out.
    Also the only difference between the $500 laptops and the $1000 ones is specs they all use the same case if you haven't noticed.

22. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I like this one too.

Then I hope they stay away so I don't have to support them.

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+1

ignorance is blizz and some people use it like a trophy

24. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Just don't feed the fanboys, like most arguments put forward by PC fanboys against Mac users, and even Mac fanboys against PC users, they're biased and largely untrue.

The average user who is just using what he prefers, and his machine suits him perfectly is the real winner.

25. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You pay more for the design and for the quietness of the Mac. When you just reduce the comparison the raw computing power, Apple hardware will -ALWAYS- fall short. The question is whether the design and silence are worth the price for you.

You DON'T have a top of the line video card in ANY Mac. Never. So this whole point already is irrelevant. And if games are your primary focus, then you should NEVER buy Apple hardware.

It's the truth. And it's hard to counter the truth, isn't it?

Again, it's the truth. And it's also the truth that Mac OS X is easier to hack than Windows Vista or Windows 7 or ANY flavor of Linux. Also, maybe Mac users should finally wake up and realize that viruses haven't been a real problem in the Windows world for many years now. Worms and Trojans are among the biggest threats, and OS X is NOT safe from those either (just remember the infected illegal copies of iWork 09 and stop boasting about how "secure" OS X is - it isn't).

And imagine that: It is even 100% legal in many countries, because Apple's EULA is either not enforceable or even contains terms that are in violation of local laws.

And if you want to, you can even LEGALLY purchase pre-configured "Hackintoshes" in Germany and several other countries. Duh!

So are there any other cliches that you want to have mopped the floor with? This whole debate is a left-over from the 1990s, and it's sad to see that the entire Apple user community still is warming up 20 years old coffee.

You like your niche platform and are willing to pay the additional bucks for the Apple design and you are also willing to pay for all the additional software that you need to make your system useful and to get functionality that all other platforms either have out of the box or can be added by installing FREEWARE. (This situation improved over the last couple of years, but I still have to install a lot of pay-for software on the Mac that I get for free for Windows or Linux.)

Anyway. Just because you like your Mac doesn't make it the perfect choice for everybody else, and it certainly does not entitle you to get religious about a piece of computing technology.