Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
What makes you think a pAAC licensee can't develop a pAAC decoder for their chosen media player and use that in their service? I don't see licensing of pAAC as a bad thing for other music services; rather, it's a good thing because it helps to spread AAC and increase compatibility between iTMS and other services. (It also better defends Apple against Microsoft's WMA format.)

Granted.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: napster != napster

Originally posted by eazyway
Not quite. Also the software and the storage was moved to Roxio and the music as well as they did not have to work so hard at getting all the songs uploaded to the servers. They fixed up the store front but it was still the Napster service with more restrictions.

Um, no.

1) The "software" of Napster is fairly thin, but generally revolving around P2P. While there are *some* P2P aspects remaining in the Napster client, the Music Store does NOT use it. You download your songs from Napster's servers, not from a "peer". The P2P aspects, last I heard, were limitted to playlist suggestions (the songs still coming from the central server, but the playlists sent around P2P IIRC).

2) The "songs uploaded to the servers" ... Napster 1.0 never had songs on its servers, just an index of which songs all its users had on their computers. The Napster software brokered the P2P connections; once brokered, the two computers talked with each other only.

3) Even if Napster *had* had songs on its servers, those were mixed-quality and illegal copies of songs. Roxio would still have had to re-rip them from RIAA sources to a common format (wma instead of mp3) with DRM and quality controls in place.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
How do you authorize and deauthorize your computers, when the company running the authorization server has gone bankrupt? (Supposing Napster uses a central server as iTMS does.)

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Re: Re: Europe launch

Originally posted by Snowy_River
Napster could get a Europe service up sooner, if they didn't want a universally consistent service across all of Europe. From what I've read, that's what's holding up the iTMS, Apple's insistence on having the rules consistent across all of Europe...

From The Register (so use the usual pinch of salt)...

Wippit CEO Paul Myers burst a few of the bubbles about online music services and cast some doubt over just why it is that Apple iTunes and Roxio are having trouble tying up European rights with their record labels.

"If I can do it, and get world-wide online rights, then I don't see what's holding them up. It's certainly not the red tape and bureaucracy of individual European countries, like they say it is."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35646.html

I must say however, that visiting wippet.com shows quite a difference between what is mentioned in the Reg article and what is actually available on the site.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i don't know how they expected to make any large profits?! when the most successful online music service (itms) doesn't make very much. it's a whole lot of effort and risk for not much profit.

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
Branding and Napster

Originally posted by vitrector
A couple of comments:
1. IMHO, their Branding consultant should have realized that taking a brand that means "any music at your fingertips for free" to "pay for limited use or access or both for some music" had to be a failure. To me Napster still symbolizes the Internet revolution, the old Napster that is. Name recognition isn't everything, brand value is!

I'd be amazed that they even hired a brand consultant for the re-launch of Napster.

But hey, no one ever said that CEO's listen to branding experts anyway. So maybe they can't blame their branding agency.

I agree with you. It certainly is a tough position to go from "free" to "pay" and how to advertise that that is a good thing. Look at how many others have failed at that. (Like nearly every .bomb that gave it away, then expected brand loyalty. Um, hello?

Cheers!

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Originally posted by AndrewMT
This last minute HP descision explains why they only had thay god-awful looking greyish blue iPod. They are probably working on a better design, as hp has been known to release some cool looking products (media center pcs, iPaq).

And roll on the month of April when all the HP/Compac PCs start hitting the shop shelves around the world (with HPs market share) with iTunes preinstalled.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by winmacguy
And roll on the month of April when all the HP/Compac PCs start hitting the shop shelves around the world (with HPs market share) with iTunes preinstalled.

An interesting question, why doesn't IBM have iTunes on all of their PCs? Wouldn't that make sense, given the alliance between Apple and IBM?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Wouldn't that make sense, given the alliance between Apple and IBM?

I'm not sure if there is such thing as an Apple/IBM alliance. To me it looks more like Apple is simply one of IBM's client, a privileged one at most. I might be mistaken though, feel free to correct me.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Just a thought, but is any music service going to want to use pAAC? If they do, then the user will have to use iTunes to play their music, and as soon as they have iTunes, why would they want to use another music service when iTMS is right there, integrated? Yes, it's true that some music services have more niche music, but that'd hardly be enough to keep them afloat. I think that signing on for pAAC would be a nail in the coffin for any other music service.

RealPlayer is able to play protected AAC files... it seems that Apple has added hooks to QuickTime that allow other programs to play FairPlay-protected DRM.

See this article for the information.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
why all the positive rankings? this is bad news. itunes needs competition. you people are so shortsighted.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Competition is good but the technology is so new that we are not sure yet if AAC will fly. I see this report as a bit more of a head start for the AAC clan to establish themselves. We need all the head start we can get before MS come in the arena to add tremendous weight for WMA adoption as the gold standard.

P.S.: I'm one of the short-sighted peeps who voted positive on this ^_^

edited for typos

army_guy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
I use LAME average VBR max quality settings @ 256kb/s , it sounds better than any other mp3 encoder and also AAC and WMA. Ask any experienced mp3 user and they will say the same.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by simX
RealPlayer is able to play protected AAC files... it seems that Apple has added hooks to QuickTime that allow other programs to play FairPlay-protected DRM.

Well, the current version doesn't allow it. And, anyway, I'm not worried. Most of the Mac users I know (myself included) really dislike RealOne Player. I keep it around for the occasional must-have occasion, but I'd hate to have to use it on a regular basis.

I actually got my local public radio station to switch their default streaming format from .RM to .M3U. Also, they list iTunes as the cross platform player for the .M3U stream, at my suggestion... :D

Long Live iTunes! ;)

mabino

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2003
Napster's future lies somewhere under the yet to be implemented Music Mall option...

napster.png

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL

Yes, Quicktime allows access to Protected AAC on Mac OS X only. Quicktime for Windows does not however.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
I'm not surprised. Many software companies have had let the tail wag the dog, where the advertising and spin docotors create a brand around a piece of polished turd. That's why I love Apple, they don't let that happen to them.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
i dislike napster, i am sooo happy for apple to be ahead with iTMS and soo far ahead of the game , its such a great thing to see them doing it right and profiting.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

The latest RealPlayer 10 on Windows uses AAC. However, it doesn't seem to be standards-compliant AAC, because QuickTime and iTunes won't play them, and neither will RealOne for Mac.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by Nermal
The latest RealPlayer 10 on Windows uses AAC. However, it doesn't seem to be standards-compliant AAC, because QuickTime and iTunes won't play them, and neither will RealOne for Mac.

Quicktime & iTunes creates AAC audio in an MPEG-4 container. It appears that Real encodes AAC audio (at least from their music store, possibly from other sources) in their own proprietary container. The audio data is the same, but since the container is different you would need some way to determine where the audio is in the file.

chrismarkcanada

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
Pepsi under the cap

Flip the bottle. Mygod get with the times. Why do I Have to read it on CNN I should read it here first. You are so behind the times.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Rincewind42
Quicktime & iTunes creates AAC audio in an MPEG-4 container. It appears that Real encodes AAC audio (at least from their music store, possibly from other sources) in their own proprietary container. The audio data is the same, but since the container is different you would need some way to determine where the audio is in the file.

I thought it might be something like that, but didn't want to embarrass myself if I was wrong :)

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by Rincewind42

I thought it was because Real used their own 'Helix' DRM instead of FairPlay or do they also use a different format for non-DRMd AAC files?

That would be mad as then other players like WinAmp or QCD wouldn't play them.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've tried playing a regular (non-DRM) RealAudio AAC file on the Mac, and I couldn't get it working at all. I tried QuickTime, iTunes, RealOne, VLC, and MPlayer. The files have an .rm extension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.