HTC EVO 4G has a front facing camera. Apple, are you next?

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Holy **** that phone looks like a goddamn beast spec wise.

It's a shame I can't bring myself to give two ****s about it since HTC doesn't seem to give two ****s about Canada.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
WiMAX "HTC Supersonic"
480 x 800 4.3-inch TFT LCD
Snapdragon QSD8650 1GHz processor
1GB of built-in memory and 512MB of RAM.
Even the battery is bigger than the HD2
8 megapixel camera monstrosity with flash
1.3 megapixel front facing camera
HDMI out via adapter

Negatives
- No 802.11n
- Sprint says concurrent data and voice use in testing (could be available and become a positive)
We'll see what the battery drain and coverage of WiMax is I guess.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
WiMAX "HTC Supersonic"
HDMI out via adapter

Negatives
- No 802.11n
- Sprint says concurrent data and voice use in testing (could be available and become a positive)
I don't know why 802.11n is an issue really... WiMax is fast enough :) I don't have an N router anyway and most mobile hotspots are G.

Added specs is that it does 720p video recording.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I'm looking forward to a GSM variant for Europe. Even if its stuck with old 3g over here, I'll be happy!

Edit: the old days of the U.S being behind when it comes to smartphones is long gone. I'm finding myself looking at more handsets that are US firsts lately (iPhone, Nexus One, HTC Evo). Exciting times! :)

nfl46

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Sprint is doing everything possible to save their company. Lol. This phone is aweeesome.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
WiMAX "HTC Supersonic"
HDMI out via adapter

Negatives
- No 802.11n
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt 802.11g support 56mbps? No mobile phone processor is going to be able to process data fast enough for a faster connection to be of any use..

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme I want.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Great looking phone from the surface, although I wonder about battery life.

This summer is going to be very interesting with iPhone 4.0

In the last 6 months we've really seen some amazing development as far as hardware and software for smart phones.

I hope Apple comes through.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Ohhhhh, Apple, NO excuses this summer.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

This phone is SEXY. I think the chances of Apple having a front facing camera have increased. If other phones are getting it, I think the iPhone will get it, too.
I like how you're excited about (of all the things on this phone) a front facing camera, something that's been on countless phones for years.:D

It's an amazing looking device, seems to have lost the HD2's svelte profile though.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
palm is so screwed
yeah it pains me to say it, I love my pre and have believed since first using it that webOS is superior to android and iphone os (just the OS... not the phones, not the apps, just the OS)... but the only hope I see for palm is to license webOS to companies like HTC who are capable of making amazing hardware like this...

Apple has some serious work cut out for them to have the "best smartphone" anymore... the only thing they have left is the incredible and vast app store

nfl46

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I like how you're excited about (of all the things on this phone) a front facing camera, something that's been on countless phones for years.:D

It's an amazing looking device, seems to have lost the HD2's svelte profile though.
Well, its not popular here in the US, yet. Thats why I am excited!:rolleyes:

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I don't know why 802.11n is an issue really... WiMax is fast enough :) I don't have an N router anyway and most mobile hotspots are G.
Because I'd love to set my Airport Extreme to Wireless N Only 5GHz and still allow my iPhone to connect. I don't have the dual-band version, so I have to keep my AEBS on a slower setting so I can connect my iPhone. Having N only @ 5GHz offers more than double the over-the-air speed for syncing my Apple TV. I'd like N on my phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
engadget.com said:
Interestingly, it sounds like concurrent data and voice use might be possible for the first time on CDMA carrier in this way (killing AT&T's well-advertised differentiator)
I'm confused. I thought ALL the carriers in the U.S. were going to use the same kind of 4G which isn't CDMA at all.

Am I wrong?

Otherwise it's odd to say that it's "possible on a CDMA carrier" when their 4G will not be CDMA. What makes it a "CDMA carrier" at that point?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
True, but not in the USA. Carriers always have the front-facing camera removed for models that are sold here.
They have? I figured that they were not that popular and the only phone that I knew that could take front-facing were flip phone that used he extrnal display to show what the camra was looking at and even then that feature was rarely used so it was not really missed as the slider and candy bar style became the popular design again so front facing camra was dump as the would need to install 2 camras to allow frount facing use.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
In my world
There are a few things I like about that phones specs to include the slightly larger screen.

Let's hope Apple understands the game has changed and others have not only caught up but are passing them in the cell phone category.

There are a few IF's with the new Sprint phone. Network, battery, price.
I'm sure there are more but those are a few things.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Its gonna take more than multitasking to keep me on board with the iPhone now. This thing is phenomenal on EVERY front. It even has HDMI and a kickstand!

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
There are a few things I like about that phones specs to include the slightly larger screen.

Let's hope Apple understands the game has changed and others have not only caught up but are passing them in the cell phone category.

There are a few IF's with the new Sprint phone. Network, battery, price.
I'm sure there are more but those are a few things.
Everyone thought the HD2 was gonna be alot.....and its only $299 on TMobile. I Expect this to be similarly priced....maybe $349.99 is my guess.