Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Doubt it, nothing is coming close to the iPhone yet really. Samsung Galaxy is probably the Android phone is the one to watch I think.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Doubt it, nothing is coming close to the iPhone yet really. Samsung Galaxy is probably the Android phone is the one to watch I think.

Have you seen the hero?

- Better camera
- More RAM
- Homescreen widget support

Other than that it looks very similar - same multi touch features, etc.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
The Hero is essentially a souped up G1 sans the physical keyboard. Nothing will beat the iPhone, excluding the newest iPhone.

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Have you seen the hero?

- Better camera
- More RAM
- Homescreen widget support

Other than that it looks very similar - same multi touch features, etc.

Hero iPhone 3GS
3.2" screen 3.5" screen
528MHz 600MHz
5MP camera 3MP camera
288MB ram 256MB ram

I'll stick with my 3GS as a 5MP sensor paired with a pinhole sized lens is worthless and the Hero only has 32MB ram. I'll take the larger screen of the iPhone as well.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Looking at some pictures of it on Google, it looks like a REALLY nice phone. Looking at the pictures of the home screen felt like a breath of fresh air. Ive been looking at my iphone screen for months and feel like ive been in a box forever lol. I like the way it shows what most people want on the home screen: Time (nice and big), Weather, Date, and a Picture Background.

It looks like a REAL nice phone.

jkimbro0316

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Central Florida
I don't like the smaller screen or the slower processor, or for that matter I don't even like the Android Operating System, but I do like the Sense UI. I've always kind of liked what HTC is able to do with the UI of a certain OS, they seem to like to do that considering TouchFLO and now the Sense UI. I agree that the new UI definitely breathes in something new and different.

datamage

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
When there's an App Store that continues to grow and has magnitudes of support, then get back to me. :)

It's not just about the phone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes, the Sense UI on the Hero looks really nice. Here's someone's review of the Sense UI homescreen customization. He seems to really like it.

HTC's next version of TouchFlo 3D, which hides almost all old WM stock screens, also looks good.

So does the coming LG UI for WM.

(click any link above for YouTube video)

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was working hard on adding cool 3D and animated effects to the iPhone UI. It's behind in that area.

Plenty of choices. But unless they're available on the same network as the iPhone, they're not direct competitors. And even then, I think they all appeal to different types of users.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hero iPhone 3GS
3.2" screen 3.5" screen
528MHz 600MHz
5MP camera 3MP camera
288MB ram 256MB ram

I'll stick with my 3GS as a 5MP sensor paired with a pinhole sized lens is worthless and the Hero only has 32MB ram. I'll take the larger screen of the iPhone as well.

3.2" is plenty big enough imo. I can see how the .3" loss would be an issue for those who watch movies on their phone, but I'm not one of them.

You shouldn't judge a computer by its' processing speed - it is what the computer/processor can achieve with those cycles that counts. Intel's nehalem processors mostly have the same speeds as the previous line of processors, yet they can perform much better because they accomplish more with each CPU cycle.

I guess it's probably too early to judge the camera.

Has more RAM :D

The hero has 512MB ROM and 288MB RAM, where'd you get 32MB from? If you meant 32MB built-in storage for files, etc, then the hero supports micro SD cards. I could fit over 100 micro sd cards in my wallet, and they're hot-swappable.

Looking at some pictures of it on Google, it looks like a REALLY nice phone. Looking at the pictures of the home screen felt like a breath of fresh air. Ive been looking at my iphone screen for months and feel like ive been in a box forever lol. I like the way it shows what most people want on the home screen: Time (nice and big), Weather, Date, and a Picture Background.

It looks like a REAL nice phone.

Don't forget twitter! ..and even though they haven't shown one off yet, I'm sure there will be a facebook widget at some point after launch :D

I don't like the smaller screen or the slower processor, or for that matter I don't even like the Android Operating System, but I do like the Sense UI. I've always kind of liked what HTC is able to do with the UI of a certain OS, they seem to like to do that considering TouchFLO and now the Sense UI. I agree that the new UI definitely breathes in something new and different.

Agreed, the iPhone's most impressive feature is its user interface, but I think the hero might just top it. Although it's a cheesy slogan, judging by the videos you really can "make it mine." :D

Is this the Android phone with the new "mobile flash" from adobe?

Yes.

When there's an App Store that continues to grow and has magnitudes of support, then get back to me. :)

It's not just about the phone.

Give it time. If somebody creates a phone that is considered better than the iPhone, apps will come :)

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
There are tons of phones out there with better specs then the iPhone, so if that is how you judge which phone is better then the iPhone is nowhere near the top. The thing that draws me to the iPhone is all the apps. No other phone has these and that is why I own an iPhone. I think in a year or two webOS will start to catch up a little in apps and it will make the new Palm phones more competitive. If Windows Mobile could find a way to centrally organize the thousands of apps available then it would be a competitor too. The problem is you have to go searching for them yourself and never know what your getting when you download and install it.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
i dunno, the iphone has its pros and cons, just like the htc hero.

i don't really like the whole idea of inserting a micro sd for storage memory. makes it a bit of a hassle, but it is possible to have up to 16 GB of storage, at the cost of about 45 bucks.

one thing that really interests me about the htc hero is the availability of mobile flash. i think that opens up a lot of possibilities that the iphone currently does not.

as for customization, i do like the htc customization of the home page, and it's ability to personalize it to your own taste is very appealing.

the lack of the app store is a big factor though, although i'm sure that there will be a series of widgets that will introduced sooner or later.

only time will tell. sticking with the good ol' iphone for now :)

Yoda3984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
The hero has 512MB ROM and 288MB RAM, where'd you get 32MB from? If you meant 32MB built-in storage for files, etc, then the hero supports micro SD cards. I could fit over 100 micro sd cards in my wallet, and they're hot-swappable.

I think what he meant was only 32 MB more RAM than the iPhone 3GS. 288 - 256 = 32.

I really think the App Store is a big winner for the iPhone. My wife just got a Samsung Jack running Windows Mobile, and it made me appreciate how easy it is to find apps for my iPhone. That alone makes a huge difference to me.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There are tons of phones out there with better specs then the iPhone, so if that is how you judge which phone is better then the iPhone is nowhere near the top. The thing that draws me to the iPhone is all the apps. No other phone has these and that is why I own an iPhone. I think in a year or two webOS will start to catch up a little in apps and it will make the new Palm phones more competitive. If Windows Mobile could find a way to centrally organize the thousands of apps available then it would be a competitor too. The problem is you have to go searching for them yourself and never know what your getting when you download and install it.

It's not the specs that make me think it's better than the iPhone.

It's the fact that I can have a twitter widget with my SMS on the screen, with a nice sunny weekendy-type wallpaper on it, then with one flick of my finger have a screen with an e-mail widget on it ready for work on Monday. The fact that I can pin photos to the screen in a "photo frame" widget. See what the weather is going to be like over the weekend on my homescreen. Hide all of those icons I don't want, like stocks. You can even pin the music player widget to the homescreen!

Once the hero gets going, and more developers begin creating apps for it.. the possibilities will be endless :D I want one of these so bad.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
i dunno, the iphone has its pros and cons, just like the htc hero.

i don't really like the whole idea of inserting a micro sd for storage memory. makes it a bit of a hassle, but it is possible to have up to 16 GB of storage, at the cost of about 45 bucks.

one thing that really interests me about the htc hero is the availability of mobile flash. i think that opens up a lot of possibilities that the iphone currently does not.

as for customization, i do like the htc customization of the home page, and it's ability to personalize it to your own taste is very appealing.

the lack of the app store is a big factor though, although i'm sure that there will be a series of widgets that will introduced sooner or later.

only time will tell. sticking with the good ol' iphone for now :)

A micro sd card takes literally 2 seconds to plug in to a phone, and is instantly accessible - you don't need to restart the phone or anything. This is why many people prefer sd cards over built-in memory, you can carry more than one around with you and effectively have limitless storage.

Also worth mentioning that the Micro SDX cards will be out in the next few years sporting from 32GB to 2TB of storage (although it will probably be more like 5+ years until they actually hit 2TB), and they're supposed to be backwards compatible with micro SDHC phones.

I agree that the app store is currently unbeatable. However, the hero is a phone that supports widgets and background apps, with a very similar user interface to the iPhone... let's just see what happens :D

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
A micro sd card takes literally 2 seconds to plug in to a phone, and is instantly accessible - you don't need to restart the phone or anything. This is why many people prefer sd cards over built-in memory, you can carry more than one around with you and effectively have limitless storage.

Also worth mentioning that the Micro SDX cards will be out in the next few years sporting from 32GB to 2TB of storage (although it will probably be more like 5+ years until they actually hit 2TB), and they're supposed to be backwards compatible with micro SDHC phones.

I agree that the app store is currently unbeatable. However, the hero is a phone that supports widgets and background apps, with a very similar user interface to the iPhone... let's just see what happens :D

really? i didn't know about the 32GB to 2TB of storage. that makes a big difference then, good job HTC :) i just hope i don't end up losing the microsd by accident or anything. that would suck...2 TB of goodies gone.

yeah, i figured that more widgets would appear on the HTC sooner or later, so I'm hoping for the best.

another pro is that an unlocked HTC hero is about 710 dollars, which is roughly the same price as a locked 32GB iphone 3GS. To buy an unlocked iphone 3GS is about a grand. not too bad for the HTC.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
The OP already has a huge bias on this, its obvious. He doesn't want a discussion, he wants people to list reasons why it might not be better than the iPhone so he can counter them with reasons why it is better than the iPhone.

This is just another example of a thread on MacRumors where someone wants to prove a phone they like is better than the iPhone. Pointless. Its about personal preference so who cares what others think.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Then get out of the thread troll :confused:

So anyone who doesn't think the HTC Hero is better version of the iPhone is a troll?

I mean, there's really isn't even a discussion. The HTC Hero is just a riced out HTC Magic witha slow fugly UI and gimmicky-at-best widgets.

It's not even worth wasting my breath about. That's why I just posted "No."

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
really? i didn't know about the 32GB to 2TB of storage. that makes a big difference then, good job HTC :) i just hope i don't end up losing the microsd by accident or anything. that would suck...2 TB of goodies gone.

yeah, i figured that more widgets would appear on the HTC sooner or later, so I'm hoping for the best.

another pro is that an unlocked HTC hero is about 710 dollars, which is roughly the same price as a locked 32GB iphone 3GS. To buy an unlocked iphone 3GS is about a grand. not too bad for the HTC.

Micro SDHC cards *can* store up to 2tb also, but are limited by the SDHC specification. SDXC is going to lift this limit. The micro SD cards are about the size of a finger nail so they are really easy to lose, I always keep mine in a box if I need to take it out of my phone for some reason.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The OP already has a huge bias on this, its obvious. He doesn't want a discussion, he wants people to list reasons why it might not be better than the iPhone so he can counter them with reasons why it is better than the iPhone.

This is just another example of a thread on MacRumors where someone wants to prove a phone they like is better than the iPhone. Pointless. Its about personal preference so who cares what others think.

I owned and loved the iPhone for a year and a half, and used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread, but eventually I got tired of all the restrictions and lack of customisation on the phone.

I don't want to prove anything, just see what people think of it.

So anyone who doesn't think the HTC Hero is better version of the iPhone is a troll?

I mean, there's really isn't even a discussion. The HTC Hero is just a riced out HTC Magic witha slow fugly UI and gimmicky-at-best widgets.

It's not even worth wasting my breath about. That's why I just posted "No."

I didn't say that.. I said going into a discussion thread and posting "No." is being a troll.

The UI isn't slow in the videos which are running pre-production firmware.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Competition is a good thing! The better the competition the better the iPhone will become.

Glad to see some good Android phones coming out in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.