HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is just terrible journalism on the part of MacRumors. HTC had the antenna bands on the HTC One M7 a full year before Apple ripped off that design for the iPhone 6.

Reactions: rjohnstone

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
someone actually copied that ugly antenna band? tell me this is a joke, seriously if the Apple haters ever need more proof that companies copy Apple, hear it is.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Exactly what i was thinking. People are focusing way too much on the antenna lines. The M7 and iPhone 6 are clearly different phones, and you could spot both a mile away. Move the camera to the left on the HTC A9, and it'd look and feel exactly like an iPhone 6. Everything from the protruding camera, flat back, and rounded edges/curved glass looks exactly like the iPhone 6, and nothing like the M7. No doubt that Ive could've been inspired by the HTC M7, but the A9 takes way too much design language from the iPhone 6.

People are so busy trying to be "cool" and not look like a "fanboy" or "fanatic" that they are missing glaring similarities and differences with the phones.

i don't think people are trying to be cool. It's just a phone. Nothing cool about defending a phone. But let's do this. Take the iPhone 6 and move the camera to the middle of the back, it will look very much like the HTC One M7.

So really, this design belongs to HTC if you want to say who is copying who.

Attachments

Reactions: apolloa

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Apple copying HTC is discounted by many because there's 2 similarities between the iPhone 6 and M7, while there are 10 similarities between the 6 and A9.

In addition to that, HTC REMOVED 5 design characteristics from the A9 that would give it an HTC One design language.

Who's copying whom is crystal clear.
But you gotta admit the the antenna bands running across the back and an all metal body are pretty important pieces of a design theme. Prior to the iPhone 6, no iPhone was all metal or had these bands running across. These two components are what make a phone face down to be instantly recognizable as the iPhone 6 and 6S, which they clearly copied from HTC.

So if you're saying Apple only copied two things from HTC, sure ok. Just know that they're two really important things.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Rialto, CA
i don't think people are trying to be cool. It's just a phone. Nothing cool about defending a phone. But let's do this. Take the iPhone 6 and move the camera to the middle of the back, it will look very much like the HTC One M7.

So really, this design belongs to HTC if you want to say who is copying who.
Have you been to college campus? I've had people tell me to my face that they bought a Galaxy S or HTC just because they think everyone has an iPhone and want to look cool. Please.

Again, like my post, you are focusing too much on the antenna lines. The M7 and iPhone 6 are completely different phones. The M7 had straight chamfered edges and glass that didn't span the entire front of the phone. The M7 also has a distinct curve to the back of the phone.

A9 on the other hand, also has little in common with the M7 other than the antenna lines, and has the exact body shape, curves, and curved cover glass as the iPhone 6. Ignore the antenna lines on both M7, iPhone 6, and A9, and the A9 and 6 look exactly a like.

Reactions: Tycho24

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Sure single me out and act like no one else has ever used the term.

Also how does calling them that "look childish"

We going to call terms like "Fandroid" childish too? I am quite Grown thank you. One has to question how grown you are though nitpicking with me?

Go call out someone else and maybe enjoy some cheese with your whine
Single you out? As far aS how grown I am, I am not the one sitting on a forum calling a company "Samesung"....

Whining? That's...cute.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Have you been to college campus? I've had people tell me to my face that they bought a Galaxy S or HTC just because they think everyone has an iPhone and want to look cool. Please.

Again, like my post, you are focusing too much on the antenna lines. The M7 and iPhone 6 are completely different phones. The M7 had straight chamfered edges and glass that didn't span the entire front of the phone. The M7 also has a distinct curve to the back of the phone.

A9 on the other hand, also has little in common with the M7 other than the antenna lines, and has the exact body shape, curves, and curved cover glass as the iPhone 6. Ignore the antenna lines on both M7, iPhone 6, and A9, and the A9 and 6 look exactly a like.
Regarding your "cool" argument, sure there are those take the "hippy" route and go with what's not trending. But there are equally just as many if not more who go for Android phones because they like the feature set and freedom of Android and the cost effectiveness. Regardless, let's leave college campuses out of this; I'm just talking about this forum. No one here on this forum who is on HTC's camp is trying to look cool. They're just asserting their stance as to who is copying whom and when.

The curved cover glass thing has been done by HTC themselves. Remember the 8X? Also the Moto X 2014 had the same curved glass.

Sure the A9 looks like the iPhone 6/6S, but that is partly due to the iPhone 6 ripping off the HTC One M7. Observer how different the 5 and 5S are to the 6 and 6S.

The point of all this is: Apple borrowed HTC's design cues first and vice versa.

Attachments

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
"Breathe new life into your music. Built-in DAC converts 16-bit audio to 24-bit high-resolution sound for richness and depth that you have never heard from a smartphone."

That's not a thing. You can't improve sound by adding bits to it.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Everybody copies everybody. Just accept it guys. It's been going on since forever. And it'll keep going on. Samsung, HTC, Apple, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Amazon...they all copy off of each other.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Not really? Apple had been making aluminum products for years, and they invented the antenna designs. If anything the HTC one was a copy of an original iPad, but it still looked original enough that it wouldn't have bothered me. This however, unless your blind, is an exact copy of the iPhone 6/6s.
Apple didn't make the first metal phone though, they made the first aluminium sealed phone though I think, Nokia beat them to the metal phone by several years. So they didn't invent them, and antenna designs?? You mean the antennas they place in the edges stainless steel frame of the iPhone 4 so they actually work, you know because without them they would not work at all.
HTC also made metal phones long before Apple, as did Sony Ericsson, and HTC were the first to make antenna lines across the back of the phone.
I am not blind and can easily see how this is a natural progression of the HTC design language with a slight iPhone flare with the camera bump, Apple took many design cues from others even with the original iPhone.
The new HTC A9 looks like a Samsung Note from the front more then an iPhone. But you have to be blind to claim Apple has never copied anyone else when it clearly has.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
You said iPhone 6 is a copy of ATIV S.

Your trolling co'z you know it looks different..
Yes the iPhone 6:

Is a copy of the Samsung ATIV S:

And the HTC A9:

IS an evolution of the HTC design language:

It's very easy for you to 'selectively' choose which photo angle you show but it doesn't change anything.

And when another person presents an alternative viewpoint, it is not 'trolling'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tycho24

rugmankc

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah I'm stuck at work so no I have nothing else to do. I mean I could work but that sucks even worse.
lol Yeah, I am semi-retired, old and in crappy health. So, plenty of time to partake of MR. Won't bash any phones, as I have owned many since 1993. All have been good in their on way, at that time. But, I really liked my HTC One S, rooted. Will stay with Apple products from here on though. Almost all of family has them. So, makes sense with the Ecosystem. :)

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
But you gotta admit the the antenna bands running across the back and an all metal body are pretty important pieces of a design theme. Prior to the iPhone 6, no iPhone was all metal or had these bands running across. These two components are what make a phone face down to be instantly recognizable as the iPhone 6 and 6S, which they clearly copied from HTC.

So if you're saying Apple only copied two things from HTC, sure ok. Just know that they're two really important things.
You are only part right. The iPhone 5 was MOSTLY metal on the back and DID have antennae bands incorporated into the back. The bands were a lot less obvious because they color matched them with the glass portions of the rear.

So without doubt the iPhone 5 was using a mostly metal CNC body with antennae bands on the rear a full 6 months BEFORE the HTC One M7 even came out. Before the M7 the HTC One S was an all plastic POS. Pretty hard to look at the iPhone 5 and then the M7 which came 6 months later and need see where HTC came up with their design.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Funny, because the 6 copied the HTC's m7 antenna design. Who is really copying who? ;)
The iPhone 5 100% had rear facing antennae bands 6 months before the M7. I don't understand why so many Android fans keep saying the M7 had these design elements first.

Sept. 2012

March 2013

The colors are exactly the same, the chamfered edges are exactly the same and the antennae bands are exactly the same. They just look less obvious on the iPhone 5 because they still incorporated a partial glass back case.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
You are only part right. The iPhone 5 was MOSTLY metal on the back and DID have antennae bands incorporated into the back. The bands were a lot less obvious because they color matched them with the glass portions of the rear.

So without doubt the iPhone 5 was using a mostly metal CNC body with antennae bands on the rear a full 6 months BEFORE the HTC One M7 even came out. Before the M7 the HTC One S was an all plastic POS. Pretty hard to look at the iPhone 5 and then the M7 which came 6 months later and need see where HTC came up with their design.
Are you sure? I had an iPhone 5 and never ever noticed antenna lines on the back. Just the pieces of plastic Apple made to allow the antenna's to get signal.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Are you sure? I had an iPhone 5 and never ever noticed antenna lines on the back. Just the pieces of plastic Apple made to allow the antenna's to get signal.
Those stripes between the metal body and the glass back are the antennae. This is a departure from the previous iPhone 4/4s that had the antennae incorporated into the metal frame that held the two front and back glass sections together. The iPhone 4/4s design was inferior which lead to the whole 'antennaegate' 'you're not holding it right' fiasco. Those stripes are for sure the antennae.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
there's only one idiot here, checkout the years old htc one m7, where do you think apple copied the design of the 6 from.. jeez
Oh ffs...
If you really think that if someone makes something that looks 50% similar to your product, it's ok to just "get back at them" by coming out with a new product that is 99% like theirs, I genuinely feel sorry for people you feud with.
If someone throws a snowball at you, do you run them them over with your car??
I mean, it seems like you are comfortable making some fairly substantial leaps...

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009

Wasn't the iPhone the first one with a camera? I think it also was the first one with a screen, microphone and earpiece, everyone else copied that. At least we know that antenna lines on a metal phone being a necessity are not the same thing as those other things.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
The iPhone 5 100% had rear facing antennae bands 6 months before the M7. I don't understand why so many Android fans keep saying the M7 had these design elements first.

Sept. 2012

March 2013

The colors are exactly the same, the chamfered edges are exactly the same and the antennae bands are exactly the same. They just look less obvious on the iPhone 5 because they still incorporated a partial glass back case.
Completely different looking phones. It's like saying Apple copied windows mobile phones because they had a screen. The design language isn't the same at all, no copying going on there. Thanks for putting that side by side, it illustrates how different they are quite nicely.

Now the iPhone copying HTC is much more obvious because there is a marked similarity in design language. Look closer at the side by sides with the iPhone 6 and HTC phones, the similarity is remarkable to the point where you could switch logos and fool a substantial number of non techie consumers.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014

Well come on, I was mainly talking about the aesthetics of the bands. You can't see them with the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S, so to people comparing designs, they are not there. Yes the iPhone was mostly metal, but still it was not 100 % like the HTC one m7. Invisible bands don't count as part of the design.

You're right, before the M7, HTC had plastic phones. But so what, they went all metal before pretty much everyone, including Apple.