HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
LOL at this entire thread. That fact that people actually think that every tech idea ever, originated at Apple is hilarious. Everybody else copies but Apple doesn't? Yeah iOS 7 says hi. Saying "Apple never copies" is almost as funny as the time somebody on here said everything Apple does always comes out perfectly (iOS 8, Apple Maps, ect)

Reactions: SirCheese

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
This is really frustrating. I work in a phone store the best thing about all the manufacturers is difference. Not everyone likes the same thing, so seeing these phones all starting to look the same is really annoying. To me and customers I see on a daily basis.

Samsung has always tried to do some copies (rather poorly) but built a customer base with their upgradable batteries and addition of an SD card. Some people really do WANT that. (Recently shot themselves with the new phones).

It's android that makes people take iPhone's purely for an easy interface. Not design.

I hope HTC doesn't go down this path like Samsung, I value the competition and different designs. LG G4 with the buttons on the back is a great sell for people who hate accidentally bumping side buttons (Sell so many of these to S5 upgraders).

If all the phones are tying to look like iPhone's people with just think 'may as well just get an iPhone'.

Apple wins, but not the consumer.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Hey guys, remember last year when we said Apple copied the 2013 HTC One M7?
Now all of a sudden the new version of the HTC One (the phone Apple copied) is considered copying?
That's pretty wacky!

2013 HTC releases HTC One M7
2014 Apple releases 6 and 6 plus
**--People say iPhone 6 copied HTC One design!--**
2015 HTC releases the new version of the HTC One
**--People say HTC One copied iPhone 6 design!--**

Maybe the "design worth imitating" is a stab at Apple for originally imitating it.

Turning tables turning tables

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
But the design I think was copied from HTC, Apple went from an all square and sharp edged design to the iPhone 6 with antenna lines that mimick HTC. Apple did not invent the antenna design with the line across the back! Apple copied HTC. They also coppied Samsung and LG with the iPhone design.

The curvey Samsung Ativ S that the iPhone 6 looks like was launched in 2012! :

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-ativ-s-1094050/review

So perhaps everyone should do the equivalent of looking in a mirror before accusing HTC of copying Apples stolen design!
Did you actually see an Ativ S ? I strongly suspect you didn't.....
Was that before or after Apple released the iPhone 6, which has a not dissimilar rear to the original (And subsequent) HTC One?

Seriously guys, this one would be a little embarrassing for all of the bandwagon jumpers on this forum... if they had any shame
Was well before...
You must be a strong android supporter to see something similar there.
The ONE M7 and M8 were very good looking phones, but with little to share with any iPhone.... otherwise my KIA looks like a grey Porsche: they both are grey

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
This is really frustrating. I work in a phone store the best thing about all the manufacturers is difference. Not everyone likes the same thing, so seeing these phones all starting to look the same is really annoying. To me and customers I see on a daily basis.

Samsung has always tried to do some copies (rather poorly) but built a customer base with their upgradable batteries and addition of an SD card. Some people really do WANT that. (Recently shot themselves with the new phones).

It's android that makes people take iPhone's purely for an easy interface. Not design.

I hope HTC doesn't go down this path like Samsung, I value the competition and different designs. LG G4 with the buttons on the back is a great sell for people who hate accidentally bumping side buttons (Sell so many of these to S5 upgraders).

If all the phones are tying to look like iPhone's people with just think 'may as well just get an iPhone'.

Apple wins, but not the consumer.
Why don't you look at HTCs earlier phones to see who's copying who, it's Apple copying HTC not the other way around.

Reactions: mojolicious

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

except that the One M7 looked very similar and was introduced well before the iPhone 6. Yes iPhone 6 not 6s.
So who is the copy cat?

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m7/
And you signed up today to post something totally false ?

I am amazed by some users here. There actually is people here saying One M7 and the iPhone 6 are similar.
Owning both I know they aren't, but the fact someone could say so means that I'm expecting a thread about the water not being wet on this forum.... Sooner or later

Reactions: mejsric

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Only companies that actually innovate on design are: Apple, Google, and Microsoft.

Everyone else (Samsung and HTC) look like ****.

If you're going to copy at least actually copy it. The iPhone 6 isn't even that pretty and yet they copied 90% of it but somehow made it look more ugly.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE!

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys, remember last year when we said Apple copied the 2013 HTC One M7?
Now all of a sudden the new version of the HTC One (the phone Apple copied) is considered copying?
That's pretty wacky!

2013 HTC releases HTC One M7
2014 Apple releases 6 and 6 plus
**--People say iPhone 6 copied HTC One design!--**
2015 HTC releases the new version of the HTC One
**--People say HTC One copied iPhone 6 design!--**

Maybe the "design worth imitating" is a stab at Apple for originally imitating it.

Turning tables turning tables
Except you are leaving out the original sin of HTC. The HTC One M7 came out 6 months AFTER the iPhone 5. This is when they went from a 100% plastic POS design HTC One S to the metal CNC machined body with chamferd edges, rear antanne bands and the EXACT same colors.

Yes, I know the iPhone 5 and the HTC One M7 is not an exact copy but you can you really believe they went from a black all plastic design 6 months earlier to incorpating all of these same design elements if they were designing in a bubble and never ever saw the iPhone 5? No, they could not.

Reactions: FFR

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
You see this is something I really respect HTC for, they never came out and said.. Apple bought off one of our people here at HTC design labs and how Apple paid BIG bucks to get the design and then raced last year to be the first ones to release it.
Is there any chance you could actually provide some documentation on this whole "Apple bought off people here at HTC design labs' conspiracy???

You use the word 'here at HTC design labs' as if you work there so it would stand to reason you could provide an email or a source of some sort?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Except you are leaving out the original sin of HTC. The HTC One M7 came out 6 months AFTER the iPhone 5. This is when they went from a 100% plastic POS design HTC One S to the metal CNC machined body with chamferd edges, rear antanne bands and the EXACT same colors.

Yes, I know the iPhone 5 and the HTC One M7 is not an exact copy but you can you really believe they went from a black all plastic design 6 months earlier to incorpating all of these same design elements if they were designing in a bubble and never ever saw the iPhone 5? No, they could not.
Are you saying that them switching from plastic to metal is them copying the iPhone 5?

I don't understand what you're saying.

I wouldn't call metal an innovative move, really. I mean, it's just kind of a logical move.
I mean Apple used plastic on the 3G and 3GS, so does that mean Apple copied HTC by going from metal to plastic? Nuh uh

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
except that the One M7 looked very similar and was introduced well before the iPhone 6. Yes iPhone 6 not 6s.
So who is the copy cat?

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m7/
Except that the M7's front looked like the iPhone 5's back. Also the iPhone 6 looks more like the iPod Touch, which predates the M7.

Lets take a look at the similarities between the M7, iPhone 6, and A9.

HTC M7 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines (antenna embedded in metal first introduced by iPhone 4)
2. Unibody design (could say the first gen iPhone or iPhone 5)

HTC A9 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines
2. Unibody design
3. Protruding camera lens
4. Camera lens above antenna lines
5. Split two tone round flash
6. Same shade of gray and gold color
7. Curved glass screen edge
8. Same corner curve radius
9. Same edge curve radius
10. Same speaker, headphone jack, and charging port design

Things removed from HTC A9 that changes its HTC One design language:
1. Curved back
2. Hard edge
3. Chamfered edge
4. Non protruding massive camera lens
5. Front facing speakers

Looking above, it's clear that it's overwhelmingly weighted towards the HTC One A9 copying the iPhone 6 design language versus the iPhone 6 copying the M7. Anyone that believes in the latter needs to get their eyes examined.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Are you saying that them switching from plastic to metal is them copying the iPhone 5?

I don't understand what you're saying.

I wouldn't call metal an innovative move, really. I mean, it's just kind of a logical move.
I mean Apple used plastic on the 3G and 3GS, so does that mean Apple copied HTC by going from metal to plastic? Nuh uh
Have you examined the iPhone 5 and M7. The similarities are more than 'they used metal too'. It's all there for anyone who wants to look. CNC body, chamfered edges, antannae bands, exact same color scheme. After coming from an all plastic Toy of a phone in the One S.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
You know, I've been buying phones and tablets and computers for years and I've never once worried about how much money the company I've bought the stuff from makes, or if anyone has copied their design. Yet here we are in Apple Land and EVERYONE loves how much money Apple makes and EVERYONE worries if someone has copied an Apple design, what is it with you fruit lovers.

I buy Apple stuff and I just don't care. There are people on here who know more about Apples design and profits than most people working at Apple I should imagine.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Except that the M7's front looked like the iPhone 5's back. Also the iPhone 6 looks more like the iPod Touch, which predates the M7.

Lets take a look at the similarities between the M7, iPhone 6, and A9.

HTC M7 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines (antenna embedded in metal first introduced by iPhone 4)
2. Unibody design (could say the first gen iPhone or iPhone 5)

HTC A9 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines
2. Unibody design
3. Protruding camera lens
4. Camera lens above antenna lines
5. Split two tone round flash
6. Same shade of gray and gold color
7. Curved glass screen edge
8. Same corner curve radius
9. Same edge curve radius
10. Same speaker, headphone jack, and charging port design

Things removed from HTC A9 that changes its HTC One design language:
1. Curved back
2. Hard edge
3. Chamfered edge
4. Non protruding massive camera lens
5. Front facing speakers

Looking above, it's clear that it's overwhelmingly weighted towards the HTC One A9 copying the iPhone 6 design language versus the iPhone 6 copying the M7. Anyone that believes in the latter needs to get their eyes examined.
Your right apple introduced the antenna lines in the iPhone 4,

And your right it does look like
Htc one copied the old iPod touch.
Very good points.

Glentomas

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Funny. You don't realize that it was the iPhone that copied HTC's design language first, when iphone6 was first introduced. Google it.

Kr15

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
London
Are you for real??!
They even named it as A9 like a CPU in the iPhone 6s...
I'm genuinely shocked!

And that's HTC guys, not some kind of a Chinese underground electronics firm.

This must be a joke, can't be real, just can't...

jkruehne

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2014
the HTC looks way better (in terms of those "Antenna breaks") than the apple devices – i never liked their "prototype look" .
(I am talking about the images , not hold an HTC in my hands;-)

mayhemburzum

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
HTC Copied what? Apple copied HTC's design with the original iPhone 6. This is why people call us Apple users fanatics and mention that we are like a religion.

This is HTC One M7, that came out in March 2013

This was the iPhone available at the time, the iPhone 5, released in September 2012

And then the iPhone 6 came out in September 2014

Who copied who?

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
This thing looks like a pile of crap. HTC had an excellent design that they should've continued to innovate on, not abandon it for this iPhone clone.

They should've focused on a bigger battery and a better camera, instead they got rid of the speakers which was one of the best features of the phone.

Reactions: WWPD and mejsric