HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Wow.
I like Android and usually find most "omg they copied Apple" claims stupid and baseless.

But this. Wow.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I can't wait to see this and hold it in my hand. I'm not buying it but I just wanna see and hold it. :rolleyes:

Rafterman

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Why do people have a fit when companies allegedly copy Apple? I like when companies copy each other. That means the best features are reaching the widest range of products and also means more choice for us consumers.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
The gold color is now available for pre-order. I didn't see this color listed yesterday.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
HTC Copied what? Apple copied HTC's design with the original iPhone 6. This is why people call us Apple users fanatics and mention that we are like a religion.

This is HTC One M7, that came out in March 2013

This was the iPhone available at the time, the iPhone 5, released in September 2012

And then the iPhone 6 came out in September 2014

Who copied who?
True. I've had no problem calling out all the copying Samsung does of Apple but in this case Apple definitely took inspiration from the M7 for the iPhone 6. I even mentioned it when the iPhone 6 came out. Not a bad idea on Apple's part since the M7 was a better looking phone than the 5/5S.

Reactions: rjohnstone

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Yesterday it was Samsung's Rose Gold Galaxy and today this, but iOS adds battery saving mode and everyone be like "OMG APPLE STEALS ANDROID IDEAS" lol.
Samsung/Andriod Pay, Touch ID, high resolution screens, Galaxy Tab S2/Nexus 9/other iPad Air lookalikes, more color options like Gold...the list goes on and on. So many things that have been added after the iPhone that are now standard across the industry. Yet: "Apple isn't innovating" "Apple copied android, we've had big screen phones for years" "Welcome to 2012".

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Well that is fantastic, a phone capable of doing 24 bit Audio. Something i have been waiting for Apple to do for iPhone.
I wonder what the battery life will really be like.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I truly checked if it was April 1. Even Meizu, who is quite famous of its iPhone lookalikes, never went this far.
Suddenly Samsung seems to be utterly original in comparison. This must be one of the lowest moments of HTC.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Except that the M7's front looked like the iPhone 5's back. Also the iPhone 6 looks more like the iPod Touch, which predates the M7.

Lets take a look at the similarities between the M7, iPhone 6, and A9.

HTC M7 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines (antenna embedded in metal first introduced by iPhone 4)
2. Unibody design (could say the first gen iPhone or iPhone 5)

HTC A9 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines
2. Unibody design
3. Protruding camera lens
4. Camera lens above antenna lines
5. Split two tone round flash
6. Same shade of gray and gold color
7. Curved glass screen edge
8. Same corner curve radius
9. Same edge curve radius
10. Same speaker, headphone jack, and charging port design

Things removed from HTC A9 that changes its HTC One design language:
1. Curved back
2. Hard edge
3. Chamfered edge
4. Non protruding massive camera lens
5. Front facing speakers

Looking above, it's clear that it's overwhelmingly weighted towards the HTC One A9 copying the iPhone 6 design language versus the iPhone 6 copying the M7. Anyone that believes in the latter needs to get their eyes examined.
I didn't know about the chamfered edges, but that's honestly the only similarity I see to the Iphone 5 aside from the color, I guess. Silver isn't really a unique color, though.

It just seems like when Apple takes essence of design from HTC, its discounted in "it looks like an IPod touch which predates the m7", but then HTC is at full charge for "copying"

I don't see why a company would intentionally make a protruding camera just for the sake of copying a design; that really seems like a flaw of a design.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Except that the M7's front looked like the iPhone 5's back. Also the iPhone 6 looks more like the iPod Touch, which predates the M7.

Lets take a look at the similarities between the M7, iPhone 6, and A9.

HTC M7 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines (antenna embedded in metal first introduced by iPhone 4)
2. Unibody design (could say the first gen iPhone or iPhone 5)

HTC A9 and iPhone 6 similarities:
1. Antenna lines
2. Unibody design
3. Protruding camera lens
4. Camera lens above antenna lines
5. Split two tone round flash
6. Same shade of gray and gold color
7. Curved glass screen edge
8. Same corner curve radius
9. Same edge curve radius
10. Same speaker, headphone jack, and charging port design

Things removed from HTC A9 that changes its HTC One design language:
1. Curved back
2. Hard edge
3. Chamfered edge
4. Non protruding massive camera lens
5. Front facing speakers

Looking above, it's clear that it's overwhelmingly weighted towards the HTC One A9 copying the iPhone 6 design language versus the iPhone 6 copying the M7. Anyone that believes in the latter needs to get their eyes examined.
Exactly what i was thinking. People are focusing way too much on the antenna lines. The M7 and iPhone 6 are clearly different phones, and you could spot both a mile away. Move the camera to the left on the HTC A9, and it'd look and feel exactly like an iPhone 6. Everything from the protruding camera, flat back, and rounded edges/curved glass looks exactly like the iPhone 6, and nothing like the M7. No doubt that Ive could've been inspired by the HTC M7, but the A9 takes way too much design language from the iPhone 6.

People are so busy trying to be "cool" and not look like a "fanboy" or "fanatic" that they are missing glaring similarities and differences with the phones.

Reactions: Tycho24 and MrX8503

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Well that is fantastic, a phone capable of doing 24 bit Audio. Something i have been waiting for Apple to do for iPhone.
I wonder what the battery life will really be like.
well they claim to have "12 hours of HD video watching" - which sounds a bit far fetched.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I swear a phone could look identical to an iPhone, run iOS and android guys would still say "they didn't copy Apple android has had iOS since 1982" then come up with some lame photos. In all seriousness you guys live in a different word don't you? Sit back with your coffee/soda cover one eye squint with the other and say that looks nothing like an iPhone to me. My wife works at an eye place I would be happy to make you guys an appointment.

I got nothing against android its fine but that looks like an iPhone, I'm sorry it just does.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I didn't know about the chamfered edges, but that's honestly the only similarity I see to the Iphone 5 aside from the color, I guess. Silver isn't really a unique color, though.

It just seems like when Apple takes essence of design from HTC, its discounted in "it looks like an IPod touch which predates the m7", but then HTC is at full charge for "copying"

I don't see why a company would intentionally make a protruding camera just for the sake of copying a design; that really seems like a flaw of a design.
Apple copying HTC is discounted by many because there's 2 similarities between the iPhone 6 and M7, while there are 10 similarities between the 6 and A9.

In addition to that, HTC REMOVED 5 design characteristics from the A9 that would give it an HTC One design language.

Who's copying whom is crystal clear.