HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
identical to an iPhone, better centered camera, same color ways +2, and the size is in-between a 6S and 6S+. if the internals come pretty close, and all for a lower price. it may not be ideal to you and I reading, but to alot of other people who dont really care about iOS, it could attract those customers

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
www.aisutech.net
The iPhone 6 is an ugly phone (FYI I do own one). It's almost like Apple decided to put out the most hideous design they could to see if anyone would copy them. Tada!
My favorite design was the iPhone 5s. Apple changed their design completely just to make the iPhone thinner.

I understand thin is good, but not all. In my opinion, the iPhone 5s was thin enough and yet easy to hold in your hand.

SpasticPat

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Apollo, Pa
From HTC's site:

"design worth imitating From the company that crafted the world's first all-metal design, HTC again sets a new design standard. The HTC One A9 features a super-thin metal frame with an elegant finish, expandable SD card memory and edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4. Available in an array of brilliant colours. Colors very by region"
They spelled vary wrong

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
Haha, what? Why?

I liked the design of HTC's flagships because they were thicker, had a bigger battery, and a curved back.

Why? Why would they do this?!

It doesn't make any sense! It's not like the iPhone 6 design is even good, so why copy it? Why?

Those ugly antenna bands and the protruding camera on the back. Ugh. No! No!

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
www.aisutech.net
Hmm. The HTC One A9 actually seems much more similar to the HTC One M9, which is almost identical to the HTC One M8, which is a lookalike of the One M7. Here's an image of all four:

Is HTC really ripping off Apple here? It seems like they've been making this sort of design for many many years now...
The color may be the similar to the iPhone, but all these (with the exception of the One A9) have an ugly rounded back, and the camera location is lower than the iPhone.

Let's forget the design, and just focus on the name: A9 ???
Oh, that's just a coincidence, right?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This thread is super funny. Metal body with antennae lines is HTC design language. There's no doubt about that. One could easily say the iPhone's design was inspired by the M7. A9 is HTC mid tier offering. Their flagship still offers the brushed aluminum and curved back. If anything, the design language of HTC's and Apple's phones reminds me of an ouroboros.

Seems even the staff at MR is experiencing a little revisionist history. It's like the M7 never existed.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I can't believe this made the front page. I get Samsung, Google and Microsoft, but HTC? Unless the point was to start a stupid war with people going back and forth on who copied who. :rolleyes:

bp36west

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015

HTC today announced its latest flagship Android smartphone, the HTC One A9. Priced at just $399, the One A9 looks remarkably like an iPhone 6/6s, taking many design cues from Apple's most recent devices.

The A9 has a 5-inch screen with a curved-edge display, so it fits right in between the 4.7-inch iPhone 6s and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus, and it includes the same antenna bands and a protruding rear camera, both design choices that haven't exactly been universally popular on the iPhone. The aluminum body comes in colors that are similar to the iPhone color lineup, available in Opal Silver and Carbon Gray.

A Topaz Gold shade is available internationally, and a Deep Garnet color will be available later in the year. When it comes to thickness, the A9 One measures in at 7.26mm, putting it on par with the 7.1mm iPhone 6s and 7.3mm iPhone 6s Plus.

The design similarities between the iPhone 6 and the HTC A9 are only external. The A9 runs the latest version of Android, Marshmallow, and it's equipped with a four-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon 617 processor, up to 3GB RAM, and a 13-megapixel rear camera. There's also a 4-megapixel front-facing camera and it ships with up to 32GB of storage that can be expanded to 2TB with a microSD card.

The HTC One A9 compared to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, via The Verge
Like many smartphones available these days, the One A9 has a fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone without a passcode, and it has built-in DAC to convert 16-bit audio to 24-bit high-resolution audio.

HTC is accepting pre-orders for the One A9 on its website. The phone is priced at $399 and is available unlocked.

Article Link: HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android
If it's not and iPhone.... It looks like an iPhone...