HTC Unveils the One A9, an iPhone Lookalike That Runs the Latest Version of Android

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 20, 2015.

1. scott911 macrumors 6502a

You nailed that ! :) made my day 2k1

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

Actually I like the rounded back quite a bit. While I'm not too interested in an Android phone right now, the HTC's always caught my attention, especially the brushed look - the rounded back also was why I definitely disagree with the iPhone 6 resembling an HTC phone. So yeah, it's kind of surprising to see HTC drop that part that made them pretty distinguishable from competitors.

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

HTC is entirely the reason I switched to Apple. My first smartphone back in 2009 was an HTC Eris. It was the biggest piece of junk one could imagine. Tiny screen, awful bluetooth, lack of internal RAM, super slow processor, you name it. I rooted and overclocked it and it was still extremely slow. After 2 years of suffering I said "no more Android crap" and bought iPhone 4S. Been on iPhones ever since and you can't make me go back.

4. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

HTC hasn't dropped the rounded back. Their flagship phone still has that design feature. You're exactly right that it made their phone pretty distinguishable. That's why they removed it from their mid tier A9; as a differentiation.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

No, Apple didn't copyrighted the letter A. You just missed the fact that the new iPhone comes with an A9 Processor.

Coincidence in the naming convention? We gotta be stupid to believe that. It's just one more tool to confuse the naive consumer.

Proof of that is that they conveniently started their A series with the A9. There's no A8, no A7 etc...

After HTC gets sued, they will finally have a big reason to proceed with their bankruptcy.
    That's the price they will pay for being copycats.

So sad, considering they started making good phones. The TouchPro II was my favorite phone back in the days.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The HTC One M7 was announced in February 2013. The aluminum unibody 5th gen iPod touch came out in September 2012. The iPad 2 in 2011 was an all unibody design. One can argue Apple copied HTC with the antenna bands but I think it's laughable to suggest Apple copied the unibody since they've been making products with unibody aluminum designs since 2008.

I wonder though will all those posters on The Verge, Engadget, etc. that knocked the iPhone 6 for its bezels do the same with this phone?

Actually the One M7 was announced in February 2013.

7. 2457282 Suspended

The only time I actually thought about purchasing something other than an iphone was when I was looking at the HTC One phone. It is by far (IMHO) the best looking android out there. I have never liked the way Samsung's look. Of course, I then remembered the Android part and came to my senses. Rocking with my 6s.

8. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

I've owned the M7, M8, and the M9. The M9, as maligned as it is, is still a great (Android) phone. This... abomination... makes me feel physically ill.

Stick a fork in them, HTC is done.

9. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

Not really. the HTC One M7 was unveiled early 2012, with the iPad Mini released in Fall 2012.

[​IMG]

If Apple is taking inspiration, it's from their OWN product lines not HTC's phones from 2012. Let's face it, they know their production lines and methods of manufacturing. I doubt Jony Ive cares that much about HTC's industrial design.

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The comments here turned out to be a joke just like this article.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I'll give HTC a point for releasing their phone in red...

12. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

It's official: http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-a9/buy-b/

Not a bad mid/high-ish range device, but it sure does look like the iPhone.

5" so it's fairly small.
    Unlocked.
    $399 (limited time price). Available for pre-order today.

And HTC also promises that they'll update the unlocked version within 15 days of Nexus devices. Hard to believe, but that's a nice promise.

13. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Thread title needs editing, it should read "iPhone 6"

14. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Yep and yet Fandroids incoming in 3...2...1

HTC might have topped Samesung on this lol

Sadly no! Bring on the lawers!

HTC must stand for How To Copy lol :rolleyes:

Agreed

Yep my thoughts exactly

Or as Fandroids will call it Top Tier innovation with almost no similarities whatsoever :rolleyes:

15. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    Digging the carbon grey... Hopefully next iphone will have this kind of black

16. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

It's seriously time to take the "copying" crown from Samsung and bestow it on HTC. Big time.

17. Tsepz macrumors 68040

Tsepz

The 16GB 2GB RAM variant seems a great iPhone6S competitor. Should have stuck with the M9 design with dual speakers though.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

I actually kind of agree with this. The iPhone 6/6+ took obvious design cues from HTC's ONE series.

19. epicrayban macrumors 604

epicrayban

I don't know if this'll save HTC, really.

Maybe they're just trying to minimize the damage until the new One "M10"?

20. 69Mustang, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

The M7 would like a word with you. There are almost no similarities whatsoever.:rolleyes: But I'm sure you'll be able to point out the differences and ignore the rest.;)

21. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I just got the G4 myself. A very nice upgrade from a Nexus 4

22. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

So HTC are the new Samsung.

What is the point of patent laws? This blatant copying of the antenna bands and protruding camera shows that the laws are impotent. Whilst I don't care for the design of the iPhone 6, what it means is that design is devalued. Designers will be deterred from creating brilliance, knowing that if they do, their designs will get ripped off with no penalty.

We can therefore look forward to bland design in the future, all because of the inability of the American courts to carry out justice.

23. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Seems like a good device.

3GB of RAM/32GB storage in US for $399.

I love the 5" Amoled screen...this device has a market. It looks and I suppose feels like a high-end device in a small package. Now a days most Android phones are phablets. The small battery is a concerned, but then again, its using 617 processor, 6.0 Mar, and 1080P screen...so maybe its not power hungry.

I'll bite...and order one in red, since I love that color. If I don't like it, I'll return it.

24. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

25. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Sorry sir but you are mistaken. The copying actually began by HTC in full force in Mach 2013 When they released the HTC One (M7)
    [​IMG]

A full 6 months after the iPhone 5 was released in Sept. 2012
    [​IMG]